Basil Boli

6 hours ago, RockwellGers said:

I had an RTV videodiary VHS in which Ian Ferguson was wearing lipstick, touching Boli's arse and saying "I like my men black" in the dressing room, to the laughter of Boli and the other guys. Not something I can unsee tbh

I don’t know if any of us can unsee that now…😳

Why did it not work out for him here? He was clearly a very good player and came with a big reputation off the back of winning the CL if I remember rightly. And was a big money "star" signing that summer ahead of the likes of Laudrup.

But his time here was short lived and unsuccessful, why? 

13 hours ago, KBOO72 said:

Why did it not work out for him here? He was clearly a very good player and came with a big reputation off the back of winning the CL if I remember rightly. And was a big money "star" signing that summer ahead of the likes of Laudrup.

I had heard he just didn't fit in at the club, and it was a fairly amicable and mutual decision for him to move on. Don't think there was much else to it. According to Wiki, he played 28 times that season, so wasn't like he was warming the bench, and from what I can remember at the time (I was 9), it wasn't like he was having howler after howler.

14 hours ago, KBOO72 said:

We should have bought Marcel Desailly instead of Boli.

7 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

We should have bought Marcel Desailly instead of Boli.

Don't know if that would have been realistic. We got Boli on a cut price deal because Marseille were administratively relegated at the end of the 93/94 season due to the match fixing scandal.

Desailly had already moved to Milan the summer they won the European Cup and would have cost a fortune.

6 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Don't know if that would have been realistic. We got Boli on a cut price deal because Marseille were administratively relegated at the end of the 93/94 season due to the match fixing scandal.

Desailly had already moved to Milan the summer they won the European Cup and would have cost a fortune.

No idea if it was realistic at the time but Desailly was the only one of the pair we should have even thought about signing.

On 27/06/2024 at 19:55, KBOO72 said:

Always appeared off balance to me and seemed to be part of a defence that you could drive a bus through.

Had a poor start to the season, where we lost at home to AEK Athens, the scum & Falkirk (LC) in quick succession.

Never seemed a good fit.