***The Official Rangers v Stuttgart Thread***

Muff

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 word for this match, "changes"

Stuttgart won 3-0 today at home to Cottbus. Hitzlsperger is a doubt.

-------------McGregor-------------

Hutton---Cuellar---Weir---Papac

------Ferguson---Hemdani--------

Naismith-----------------McCulloch

------------JCD----------------------

---------------Cousin----------------

Rangers- ?

Stuttgart- ?

I would take this team, and put Boyd in for Cousin. JCD and Boyd are a good combo I reckon

Gledson, Meira(captain) Pardo, Boka, Cacau, Hilbert, Maguin, da Silva then you have Gomez, Basturk and Ewerthon. Hitzlsperger's is a doubt.

*cries

No need to cry mate, look at the names in the France side last week ;) names mean nothing :rangers:

I like this lineup and hope we go with it.

I agree though fortunately McCulloch is suspended.

Em, might be tempted to play Novo there though hopefully Whittaker may up his game if he does play

Beasley or Novo on the right and Naisy out left (tu)

Or drop Cousin, Novo right, Beasley left and Naisy in behind/alongside Darchy.

Just as long as Whittaker does not start.

naismith wont start..

i doubt he'll get more than 20 minutes in europe this season..

smith will not play youngsters..

Good to know, any more inside-info you can share with us ? :craphead:

Let's get the place rocking like last time we played the Krauts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuXQO-JZ5NE

And another video of the same campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5TFANbsVI...ted&search=

Listen at the commentators drooling all over Ibrox :D

'They were the Standard-bearers'.

Yeah dont think there is much chance of Smith starting with Naisy. But I have a bad feeling that Adam may start to beef up the midfield as McCulloch is out.

_____________McGregor___________

Hutton____Cuellar____Weir____Papac

______Hemdani____Thomson________

*__________Ferguson__________Adam

_____________Darchy______________

*Whittaker or Novo?

It's Smith and european football so anything is possible!

Gledson, Meira(captain) Pardo, Boka, Cacau, Hilbert, Maguin, da Silva then you have Gomez, Basturk and Ewerthon. Hitzlsperger's is a doubt.

*cries

No need to cry mate, look at the names in the France side last week ;) names mean nothing :rangers:

Well said Outlaw. Lets get right intae them. Novo, Naismith and JCD will run allover them.

WATP

:bouncy:

I have watched Beasley throughout his career playing in America, in Holland for PSV, and for the US internationals. He is at his best when quality balls are played beyond defenders (either through balls or aerials) that penetrate into the attacking third. If you watch many of his CL goals in the epic year for PSV, when they lost to Milan on away goals in the semis you can see this. He utterly blew Jaap Stam away at times. At PSV he played at his best in the classic 4-3-3 as the tip of the spear on the left side. So he is more of an attacking winger than a LMF.

The knock is that at times he disappears. He needs time on the ball, and when he gets it, his offball runs improve dramatically. His crossing is hit or miss, but he does better with lower pull ball crosses that hit midfielders or Second strikers popping up in-stride at the outer edge of the 18. He needs a quality left back with pace and decent passing ability to bring out the best in him. Gers sadly do not have that. He is not the biggest threat off set pieces in delivery or from a free strike. (As the fluffed corner a few weeks ago in the SPL showed). Still If DMB can develop a good partnership with Cousin/Darcheville or Ferguson watch out.

Regardless of whether its the PSV 4-3-3 or Smith's conglomerate 4-5-1, Champions League football suits Beasley much better than the poor quality football, hack your man defending in the SPL. A flowing fast moving game brings out the best in him (for example at the 06 World Cup against Italy he had a fine flowing goal disallowed in a 9v10 matchup following three reds).

His goal against Hearts and Zeta are typical contributions, and 3 goals in 8 appearances for a winger is pretty damn good.

If Beasley performs/scores tomorrow night, don't surprised if Smith tries to orient Damarcus's efforts more towards the CL, and focus the more physical Lee M.on the SPL. Also, Beasley is competent on the right wing and has played well there for both PSV and USA.

That said with Buffel coming into the side pressure on DMB to make the XI will dramatically increase. Heres the side I expect Walter to play. 4-4-2 FTW.

MacGregor

Hutton Cellar Weir Papac

Whittaker Ferguson Thomson Beasley

JDC Cousin

Whittaker has looked pretty shaky thus far imo, but does Naismith get a shot at RMF?

Interesting interview with Beasley on the Champions League http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash2?id=3023003

Champions League, Group E match

Date: Wednesday, 19 September

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Ibrox

Listen: BBC Radio Scotland 810 MW

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Stuttgart assistant coach Markus Babbel is confident the German champions can secure victory in their opening Champions League clash with Rangers.

Former German international Babbel also singled out Ibrox captain Barry Ferguson their main threat.

"We have a good team and won the league last season so if we perform at Ibrox we will win," he said.

"I know Barry Ferguson from our time at Blackburn and he is their leader so if he plays, the quality will be higher."

Ferguson is an injury doubt ahead of the tie after aggravating a knee injury in training and Babbel says if the Rangers skipper fails to make it, it will be a boost for the visitors.

The first game in this competition is always difficult, but we hope we can perform and if we do this we will have a big chance to win

Stuttgart assistant coach Markus Babbel

"He is the Rangers key," he added.

"He didn't start for them against Hearts at the weekend and they were a different team when he came on.

"They are much more confident with Barry in the side.

"Although they have other players that make them a strong team."

Stuttgart currently sit ninth in the Bundesliga but warmed up for their trip to Glasgow with a 3-0 win over Energie Cottbus.

In contrast, Rangers went down 4-2 to Hearts at Tynecastle.

"Rangers are a very strong side although it wasn't so good for them on Saturday against Hearts," Babbel - who also had a spell with Liverpool - said.

"But the first game in this competition is always difficult, but we hope we can perform and if we do this, we will have a big chance to win."

Meanwhile, Stuttgart's Mexican midfielder Pavel Pardo echoed his assistant coach's thoughts.

"They're a big club and it's always difficult in this competition but i think we can do it," he said.

"But we will have to play really well as it will be a good atmosphere.

"We respect them, but the most imoportant thing is that we win the match."

I have watched Beasley throughout his career playing in America, in Holland for PSV, and for the US internationals. He is at his best when quality balls are played beyond defenders (either through balls or aerials) that penetrate into the attacking third. If you watch many of his CL goals in the epic year for PSV, when they lost to Milan on away goals in the semis you can see this. He utterly blew Jaap Stam away at times. At PSV he played at his best in the classic 4-3-3 as the tip of the spear on the left side. So he is more of an attacking winger than a LMF.

The knock is that at times he disappears. He needs time on the ball, and when he gets it, his offball runs improve dramatically. His crossing is hit or miss, but he does better with lower pull ball crosses that hit midfielders or Second strikers popping up in-stride at the outer edge of the 18. He needs a quality left back with pace and decent passing ability to bring out the best in him. Gers sadly do not have that. He is not the biggest threat off set pieces in delivery or from a free strike. (As the fluffed corner a few weeks ago in the SPL showed). Still If DMB can develop a good partnership with Cousin/Darcheville or Ferguson watch out.

Regardless of whether its the PSV 4-3-3 or Smith's conglomerate 4-5-1, Champions League football suits Beasley much better than the poor quality football, hack your man defending in the SPL. A flowing fast moving game brings out the best in him (for example at the 06 World Cup against Italy he had a fine flowing goal disallowed in a 9v10 matchup following three reds).

His goal against Hearts and Zeta are typical contributions, and 3 goals in 8 appearances for a winger is pretty damn good.

If Beasley performs/scores tomorrow night, don't surprised if Smith tries to orient Damarcus's efforts more towards the CL, and focus the more physical Lee M.on the SPL. Also, Beasley is competent on the right wing and has played well there for both PSV and USA.

That said with Buffel coming into the side pressure on DMB to make the XI will dramatically increase. Heres the side I expect Walter to play. 4-4-2 FTW.

MacGregor

Hutton Cellar Weir Papac

Whittaker Ferguson Thomson Beasley

JDC Cousin

Whittaker has looked pretty shaky thus far imo, but does Naismith get a shot at RMF?

Interesting interview with Beasley on the Champions League http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash2?id=3023003

Brilliant post, thanks

-------------Hemdani--------------

Whittaker---Fergie---McCulloch

---------------JCD-----------------

-------------Cousin----------------

Thats my team prediction. Defensive midfield, and relying on the punt up to McCulloch to knock onto JCD or Cousin, or the Punt to Cousin to hold up and play in JCD.

Personally I would go for the win at home and put in more attacking options down the wings(Novo/Buffel/Beasley/Burke or Naismith) but Walter is a bit boring and would rather play an unattractive game to scrape a draw.Good results so far but ugly to watch !!

Ok, my team.......

MacGregor.

Hutton.

Papac.

Weir.

Cuellar.

Hemdani.

Ferguson.

Whittaker.

Thomson.

Beasley.

Cousin.

I have to say it's hard to second guess what formation and team selection Smith will go with. I think he will keep JCD and Novo on the bench for their pace for the later part of the game.

If he's adventurous he may go with Boyd instesd of Hemdani or Thomson.

---------------Hemdani------------

Whittaker-----Fergie-----Beasley

------------Cousin--JCD-----------

Thomson was bullshit on saturday so he should drop to the bench...Need to go 4-4-2 IMO as this is a must win.

I would go with...

McGregor

Hutton Weir Cuellar Papac

Ferguson Hemdani Thomson

Novo Darcheville Naismith

I think Walter will play Beasley over Naismith and Whittaker over Novo though.

looking forward to midweek and im not.

back on the big stage - positive.

negative - so many flaws were exposed today, midfield , defense,

against at best.

an average to poor side is hearts . we made them look good.

and if we play even half as poor as we did today.. or 1 or even 2 players not on thier game ..

it could actually be embarrasing.

but it gets another game to play after that abysmal performance by all today. and so soon after must look to win .

tho i would take a draw right now tbh.

:blink:

I'm kinda feeling the same.

This will be a massive game for me, I'm buzzing for finally being at Ibrox. But what if it all goes wrong, I can't imagine getting humped at home...

Positive thoughts m8 - Keep Believing!