***The Official Rangers v Stuttgart Thread***

Muff

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched Beasley throughout his career playing in America, in Holland for PSV, and for the US internationals. He is at his best when quality balls are played beyond defenders (either through balls or aerials) that penetrate into the attacking third. If you watch many of his CL goals in the epic year for PSV, when they lost to Milan on away goals in the semis you can see this. He utterly blew Jaap Stam away at times. At PSV he played at his best in the classic 4-3-3 as the tip of the spear on the left side. So he is more of an attacking winger than a LMF.

The knock is that at times he disappears. He needs time on the ball, and when he gets it, his offball runs improve dramatically. His crossing is hit or miss, but he does better with lower pull ball crosses that hit midfielders or Second strikers popping up in-stride at the outer edge of the 18. He needs a quality left back with pace and decent passing ability to bring out the best in him. Gers sadly do not have that. He is not the biggest threat off set pieces in delivery or from a free strike. (As the fluffed corner a few weeks ago in the SPL showed). Still If DMB can develop a good partnership with Cousin/Darcheville or Ferguson watch out.

Regardless of whether its the PSV 4-3-3 or Smith's conglomerate 4-5-1, Champions League football suits Beasley much better than the poor quality football, hack your man defending in the SPL. A flowing fast moving game brings out the best in him (for example at the 06 World Cup against Italy he had a fine flowing goal disallowed in a 9v10 matchup following three reds).

His goal against Hearts and Zeta are typical contributions, and 3 goals in 8 appearances for a winger is pretty damn good.

If Beasley performs/scores tomorrow night, don't surprised if Smith tries to orient Damarcus's efforts more towards the CL, and focus the more physical Lee M.on the SPL. Also, Beasley is competent on the right wing and has played well there for both PSV and USA.

That said with Buffel coming into the side pressure on DMB to make the XI will dramatically increase. Heres the side I expect Walter to play. 4-4-2 FTW.

MacGregor

Hutton Cellar Weir Papac

Whittaker Ferguson Thomson Beasley

JDC Cousin

Whittaker has looked pretty shaky thus far imo, but does Naismith get a shot at RMF?

Interesting interview with Beasley on the Champions League http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash2?id=3023003

Very astute post. Would be surprised if Watty went 4-4-2 tonight, though, given his history and the fact that 'tic got pumped trying it last night.

Unofficial Source. Hope it's not true re Adam

4-5-1

McGregor

Hutton

Cuellar

Weir

Papac

Whittaker

Hemdani

Thomson

Ferguson

Adam

Darche

Wow, there is nothing like positive thinking and that team is nothing like positive thinking!

Off to the match in 20 minutes so I am going to concentrate hard and send attacking thoughts to Walter.

Unofficial Source. Hope it's not true re Adam

4-5-1

McGregor

Hutton

Cuellar

Weir

Papac

Whittaker

Hemdani

Thomson

Ferguson

Adam

Darche

Wow, there is nothing like positive thinking and that team is nothing like positive thinking!

Off to the match in 20 minutes so I am going to concentrate hard and send attacking thoughts to Walter.

Probably looking to hold them at home, maybe win some freekicks for Adam. DMB, Naismith or Novo could come on late and exploit a tiring Stuttgart. Most of DMB's CL goals came from him as a sub.

Actually, Beasley scored twice as starter for PSV in the 2004-2005 group stages against Rosenborg and Panathinaikos both in the first half. He only scored as a sub in the round of 16 against AS Monaco.

If Adam starts, I understand the thinking but its very negative.

My bad... :blush:

Guest orangpendek

faye being mince + the need to take advantage of dead balls = charlie adam.

hope he delivers a decent ball, last time i saw him he was awful.

Current European form

Rangers have not lost in 12 consecutive home matches in European competitions. Their last home defeat was on 15 December against Auxerre (0-2). They have kept clean-sheets in the last four European matches, and have drawn their last six Champions League games. The Champions League record for consecutive draws is seven and was set by AEK Athens between 17 September 2002 and 17 September 2003.

Stuttgart have not won nor scored in their last three CL matches, but have won their last three European away games.