My Analysis and Views

andy500

We are now over 1/4 of the way into the season. We have seen patchy form, good players, not many bad players. (discluding when celtic came to ibrox :craphead: ) But where do we need strengthening ? What parts of the field are weak ? What do we need to improve this ? What should our current line up be when all are fit ? Its all here in this sort of analysis.

Goalkeepers

Our Goalkeeping situation is looking great from my point of view. The ex-Man U no.1 giving us a solid back-up. Alan McGreggor will be the Rangers no.1 for years to come, but he will need to stop the flapping at crossed balls, and try to catch the ball more instead of parrying it - at 24 he has time to learn this.

My choice would be:

------------McGreggor-------------

Defence

In defence we have the strongest Centre backs in the SPL in Ceullar and Weir - Weir is a superhuman, how he can perform every week and at international level at 37 is beyond me, he's brilliant. Ceullar has been the best signing ever by Walter Smith. He has played every game this year and been consistently good. Hutton, the best right back in Britain, maybe Europe is one of the best parts of our team. He is immense. Nuff Said. Now onto the left-back position, one that gives us trouble, Papac has been ok, not brilliant - I would rather have a left back than a centre back in that position but, Stevie Smith needs to come back soon or Smith will be searching for a replacement soon.

My Back line would be:

Hutton----Cuellar-----Weir-----Smith

Midfield

This is really where I think we really lack speed and creativity. I feel the fact that Buffel and Gow haven't been given a chance this year proves he doesn't like this kind of player. It IS what we need. Our usual midfield of McCulloch-Baz-Thomo-Beasly Is really lame going forward unless Barry and Beasly are on their game. I really like Novo and Beasly at each side for the speed and Beasly has been on form lately so he has a bit of quality, and Novo will give more than any player in the world. Buffel deserves a shot, I’d love to see him play.

My choice would be:

--Novo--------Bazza-------Beasly--

----------------Buffel----------------

Strikers

Our strongest part of the team, we have 5 different types of players, which can really hurt teams when we use subs. Novo, who can play in midfield also, has spirit, heart, speed and a nack for scoring big game goals. Boyd, just a scorer - big target man. Darcheville, strong, fast, solid, scores goals, beats players - best striker by far - he's outstanding. Cousin is a big target man with good passing and decent speed. Naismith is a good striker with link up play and creativity. Different strikers can come in for different games. We have a brilliant set of strikers, not one bad one there. When you can say - Boyd is our 5th choice striker - yet he's 2nd on the goal scorers charts this season, that’s something.

My choice would be:

-----Darcheville---Cousin----------

Full team would line up when all fit would be something like this.

------------McGreggor-----------

-Hutton--Cuellar--Weir--Smith

--------------Bazza--------------

-Novo-------------------Beasly-

--------------Buffel-------------

-----Darcheville--Cousin-------

Discuss.

I agree with a lot of what you say. The keeper and back 4 obviously. Two wide men with pace. And Cousin-Darcheville is indeed our best partnership for me.

The only problem I would have is central midfield. I think the question is whether or not we play 2 or 3 'proper' central midfielders in that area. And Buffel isn't a 'proper' central midfield player. He plays higher up the pitch, isn't box to box, and would leave Ferguson with far too much leg work to do in there.

If we play Buffel, I think we need to either:

1) play him behind a single striker

2) play him behind two strikers in a diamond formation, but this means no winger and a narrow formation.

3) play him in one of the wide positions in a 4-4-2, and ask him to cut off the wing. Not natural to him, but doesn't effect the shape of the team so much.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Buffel, so I wouldn't play him anyway ;)

I agree with a lot of what you say. The keeper and back 4 obviously. Two wide men with pace. And Cousin-Darcheville is indeed our best partnership for me.

The only problem I would have is central midfield. I think the question is whether or not we play 2 or 3 'proper' central midfielders in that area. And Buffel isn't a 'proper' central midfield player. He plays higher up the pitch, isn't box to box, and would leave Ferguson with far too much leg work to do in there.

If we play Buffel, I think we need to either:

1) play him behind a single striker

2) play him behind two strikers in a diamond formation, but this means no winger and a narrow formation.

3) play him in one of the wide positions in a 4-4-2, and ask him to cut off the wing. Not natural to him, but doesn't effect the shape of the team so much.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Buffel, so I wouldn't play him anyway ;)

I really like buffel - him and gow deserve a chance.

Smith should be ashamed of himself for wasting young Gow's career then.

If what you have suggested was true then their would be managers all over the world who should be 'ashamed' of themselves as there are plenty of young players who can't get a game for their respective teams, much like Gow can't for us.

WS has a job to do and he has to do what he feels is right for RF and obviously he doesn't feel that Gow is the best option we have for that position at this moment in time.

Yes we haven't seen enough, if any of Gow and what he can do, part of that is undoubtedly down to the U21 rule and I'm sure WS said this himself. We can judge him on his time at Falkirk or his debut vs LA, but something that is often forgotten is that WS has the luxury of seeing him every day and he obviously doesn't like what he sees at the moment.

But on top of that Gow is an intelligent enough guy to know that WS was going to do a massive rebuilding job and that he would probably have a struggle to get into the team as a result? He only has to look at other players who have moved from small SPL clubs to the old firm to see that. However he must have a belif in his own ability that he can succed or he would have choose a move to a lesser club. It's not like the interest wasn't there.

It's not like somebody held a gun to his head and made him sign for us, he choose to and he knew how tough it would be. Unfortunaetly it's a situation that many footballer find themselves in and theiris little that can be done about it.

Smith should be ashamed of himself for wasting young Gow's career then.

If what you have suggested was true then their would be managers all over the world who should be 'ashamed' of themselves as there are plenty of young players who can't get a game for their respective teams, much like Gow can't for us.

WS has a job to do and he has to do what he feels is right for RF and obviously he doesn't feel that Gow is the best option we have for that position at this moment in time.

Yes we haven't seen enough, if any of Gow and what he can do, part of that is undoubtedly down to the U21 rule and I'm sure WS said this himself. We can judge him on his time at Falkirk or his debut vs LA, but something that is often forgotten is that WS has the luxury of seeing him every day and he obviously doesn't like what he sees at the moment.

But on top of that Gow is an intelligent enough guy to know that WS was going to do a massive rebuilding job and that he would probably have a struggle to get into the team as a result? He only has to look at other players who have moved from small SPL clubs to the old firm to see that. However he must have a belif in his own ability that he can succed or he would have choose a move to a lesser club. It's not like the interest wasn't there.

It's not like somebody held a gun to his head and made him sign for us, he choose to and he knew how tough it would be. Unfortunaetly it's a situation that many footballer find themselves in and theiris little that can be done about it.

I agree here, I mean this is DBBTB talking about the Gow situation and not Gow the player.

Gow not long ago said'

"I just have to keep doing well," he said. "When I play in bounce games or reserve games I play well and score goals. I have to impress the manager. I know I'm good enough to play at Rangers. The gaffer wouldn't have signed me if he wasn't going to play me at some point.

I believe in myself."

He has been reassured by the coaching staff that his persistence will be rewarded in time and Gow has no interest in a loan move in January, despite the short-term guarantee of regular football at a lower level.

"No, I want to play for Rangers and I won't be gone until I play," he said.

"Motivation isn't a problem for me, because I enjoy playing football. I've spoken to the gaffer and the coaches and they're happy with me. As long as I keep working hard, I'll hopefully get my chance, and I'll take it."

He's obviously a confident lad, in his own ability as DBBBTB suggested he must have.

Yes, Gow has not had the chance he and we perhaps had have expected but as somebody - not on RM - said to me recently, who is pretty clued up on Football 'He has a 3 year deal, he'll not be chapping on Walter's door quite yet'

Good point - WS has done a great job at Rangers to date, but some of his selections have baffled me. Why he stuck with Whittaker for so long and played Faye is beyond me. Gow and Buffel never get a whiff. Naismith and Boyd get very limited appearances yet Adam Whittaker and Faye have had more chances. That is weird to me. McCulloch has gone right off the boil too recently. We need pace and skill in midfield.

JCD has been injured, but now lets see him on regularly and try Cousin with him. They should make a powerful striking duo. Love to see both play vs Celtic.

I think we need a new dominating central midfielder with strength and pace. One who can shoot too.

An other thread mentioned Riquelme - I would love him here.