Officer who shot Lazio fan speaks

bluenose_72

The policeman who shot Lazio fan Gabriele Sandri has explained the circumstances leading to the tragic accident.

The police patrol arrived at a motorway service station near Arezzo in Tuscany after reports of a violent altercation between Lazio and Juventus fans.

It is believed that an officer known only as Luigi S at this stage fired a shot in the air to try and calm the dispute, but as he ran his gun fired again and hit Sandri in the back seat of his car.

“I didn’t aim at anyone,†the distraught policeman told Il Corriere della Sera. “I was at least 200 metres away, how could I have?

“I fired the first shot in the air and the second went off accidentally when I was running.â€

The Battifole-based 31-year-old broke a rule when he didn’t return his gun to its holster after firing his first shot.

“We are used to running after robbers and drug traffickers when we keep the gun in our hands,†he explained.

“Now I know what has happened I am falling to pieces. I have destroyed two families – the young lad’s and my own.â€

Luigi S’s colleagues have revealed that he was running alongside the guardrail to try and identify the car as it was leaving the service station.

Violence between rival sets of Ultras is a sad fact of life in the peninsula and 15 days prior to yesterday’s tragedy Salernitana fans destroyed a rest area in nearby Montepulciano.