Gow out for the Falkirk game

Danny

Alan Gow's wretched start to his Rangers career took a turn for the worse when he picked up a red card in Tuesday's reserve fixture with Gretna.

It means the 25-year-old forward will be suspended when the Ibrox team visit his former club Falkirk on 24 November.

However, Gow, who was dismissed for violent conduct, was unlikely to have been in manager Walter Smith's plans.

Gow's only appearance since his summer move to Rangers has been in September's CIS Insurance Cup win over East Fife.

Gow scored eight goals for Falkirk last season and signed a pre-contract with Rangers in January, shortly after Smith had replaced Paul Le Guen at Ibrox.

Wolverhampton Wanderers had a bid for Gow rejected by the Bairns.

And the player spoke to Aberdeen and Hibernian about the possibility of a pre-contract agreement before pledging himself to Rangers.

Didn't see this posted.

Was Gow the most pointless signing Smith made?

It was posted n the Reserve game thread - apparently he reacted badly to a challenge and got a straight red.

As for a pointless signing, Im not sure - like others, he hasnt had any sort of chance yet.

Alan Gow's wretched start to his Rangers career took a turn for the worse when he picked up a red card in Tuesday's reserve fixture with Gretna.

Didn't see this posted.

Was Gow the most pointless signing Smith made?

Still too early to say.

There's talent there -

Really up to Walter if he utilises it.

No loss as he'd not of made the squad. Not exactly the best way to impress Smith and Co.

Dont think he'll ever feature and tbh not really that bothered. Reckon he'll be off come the summer.

gow deserves a chance..

most players would have spoken out and said im leaving if i dont break into the first team soon..

but hes got on with it, kept working hard and had a bad game the other day, but the best of players get sent off and i fully believe that he can still contribute to the season as its gonna be a long and hard season if we are to compete with celtic and need every player (bar amdy Faye) to take part and fight for the team.

gow deserves a chance..

I hear people saying this all the time, but what exactly has he done to earn this chance that he 'deserves'?

Yeah he might have been decent for Falkirk, but Rangers are a totally different ball game in terms of consistancy and expectations. Recently we have seen players like Whittaker, Broadfoot, Naimsith and to a certain extent Thomson come from lesser SPL sides and be given a chance on the basis of what they did for their previous club, yet most of them have generally struggled to cope with the step up in class.

Gow looked distinctly average against poor opposition in East Fife and even in the reserves, players who are years younger than him are talking more plaudits than he is.

This red card, along with a bad tackle on Pressley in and OLd Firm reserves clash, are the only things that he has contributed so far and neither are positive.

Perhaps WS feels that Gow is out of his depth and deep down he knows it too, hence the increasing shows of frustartion.

everyone else was given a chance in spl games..

what makes him any different?

whittaker is crap..yet he seemed to play in 5 games on the trot when he played awful in at least 4 of them!

Because we have a settled side and tehre is no point upseting it, especially for a player who isn't even doing that well for the reserve team.

whittaker is crap..yet he seemed to play in 5 games on the trot when he played awful in at least 4 of them!

Because we have a settled side and tehre is no point upseting it, especially for a player who isn't even doing that well for the reserve team.

I agree. theres no point playing him for the sake of it. Generally we have a settled core team now. He is going to struggle to get in but he must have known this when signing,

but bet you want naismith given an oppertunity starting..

I agree. theres no point playing him for the sake of it. Generally we have a settled core team now. He is going to struggle to get in but he must have known this when signing,

(tu)

Naismith is by far a better player than Gow. He's already proved that.

What's the thinking behind that one then?

At the age of 20, Naismith had already played over 100 games for Kilmarnock and had an International cap, 2 YPOTY awards.

Gow only really showed himself to be a decent player for 6-7 months.

Naismith has done it on a regular basis in the SPL for Kilmarnock.

gow deserves a chance..

Gow looked distinctly average against poor opposition in East Fife and even in the reserves, players who are years younger than him are talking more plaudits than he is.

This red card, along with a bad tackle on Pressley in and OLd Firm reserves clash, are the only things that he has contributed so far and neither are positive.

Perhaps WS feels that Gow is out of his depth and deep down he knows it too, hence the increasing shows of frustartion.

I disagree and infact your quite harsh.

To say that those were the only things he had contributed in the reserves - while biding his time for a chance in the first team - is wrong.

He has scored against Newcastle in a closed door game, with Ian Durrant picking his name out for praise among others in that game.

Also he scored against Ayr in a closed door friendly, Falkirk in the reserve league and its been said and seen that he often links up well with Buffel in reserve matches when reading reports and watching Rangers TV.

You certainly focused on the negatives, reminds me of my Mum!

The problem with Gow's game is that it has never been based on countless goals and so if he is playing well but not scoring, it is not noted in reports as reports tend to focus on the goals and not so much of the link-up play.

The East Fife game? Did you watch it? I certainly did and done the RM report, so watched it carefully. Gow had a quiet first half but had a bright first half and made Broadfoot at left-back look impressive by giving him several passes for him to run to among showing skill and contributing to winning the penalty.

Yes, we havn't had Walter talking of the Gowser but Gow said recently in the Herald "Motivation isn't a problem for me, because I enjoy playing football. I've spoken to the gaffer and the coaches and they're happy with me. As long as I keep working hard, I'll hopefully get my chance, and I'll take it."

What Boab has pointed out is fair enough, but IMO thats a decent contribution. Yet because he is a newbie he seems to automatically deserve a chance in the first team.

However we have a player in Buffel who to the best of my knowledge has scored atleast three goals, won a penalty and has three, possibly four assists. That IMO is a far more significant contribution, yet people don't want to see him in the team mainly on the basis of how he has 'underperformed' in the past, yet they want to see Gow given a chance in the first team.

What baffles me is this automatic opinion that Gow deserves a chance in the first time mainly on the basis that he is a newbie.

What Boab has pointed out is fair enough, but IMO thats a decent contribution. Yet because he is a newbie he seems to automatically deserve a chance in the first team.

However we have a player in Buffel who to the best of my knowledge has scored atleast three goals, won a penalty and has three, possibly four assists. That IMO is a far more significant contribution, yet people don't want to see him in the team mainly on the basis of how he has 'underperformed' in the past, yet they want to see Gow given a chance in the first team.

What baffles me is this automatic opinion that Gow deserves a chance in the first time mainly on the basis that he is a newbie.

I agree, I think there are some fans who are unhappy that both have not had their 'chance' and categorising them as how Walt doesn't play more attacking players.

Aye, but Buffel before Gow is fine by me.

Quite correct - and something which irks me too. I would have Buffel in my team long before Gow if Im honest, and hope that day isnt too far away.