Can anyone answer this?

nvager

We haggled for months over a fee for Naismith and at the last second paid 2m pounds.

We GAVE AWAY 2m to Hibs for Whittaker to play him in midfield?!

We bought Thomson from Hibs for 2m WHEN we ALREADY had Hemdani.

We took on Faye? and have played him vs Hearts and DU.

We just do not give Gow a chance (also Naismith, Burke and Buffel) even though we are crying out for some creativity. (see Faye above!)

NONE of this makes much sense to me.

We could easily have had 4m to spend on a class player - midfield? CB?, LB?

Am I wrong in thinking that we made and are making a few mistakes here?

Granted our squad is much deeper and better than last year, but we could and can be better yet.

I think the biggest problem was the sheer lack of an actuall squad before. We had to spread money around a bit thinner to get more players. Now that this has been done though, i'd expect us to now start putting quality over quantity though.

I think the biggest problem was the sheer lack of an actuall squad before. We had to spread money around a bit thinner to get more players. Now that this has been done though, i'd expect us to now start putting quality over quantity though.

Spot on.

Naismith, Thomson and Whittaker are also investments for the next 4-5 seasons or so. They'll get games and won't be wastes.

Faye has so far been awful (tu)

Although I'm wanting to see Gow play first team football, he knows himself that he's going to be patient and weait his chance.

We have bought a class Centre back- Carlos Cuellar

I agree on the left back slot we do need some1 in there at the moment until Smith is back fit so in January i think we should look to loan some1 in, Faye is a loan so can punt him whenever, Naismith has been bought for the future, Thomson a good young player who will get better, I agree with Whittaker never a 2m player but has been played out of position but i think he was brought in as cover or to provide competition for Hutton but we all know how good a season Hutton is having

We needed the quick fix and we got it. On transfers you win some and you lose some especially if the chairman has put a ceiling on it. Don't forget we are only a quarter of a season in and there's still the January window to happen, Im' sure some of the dead wood will be moved on if possible and we will be strengthened where needed, CB and LB. Big Davie's indian summer goes on but common sense tells you might need back up. ! :sherlock:

I would expect with such a large squad of players who a lot of fans think many of the fringe players can do a job, there would be a more varied rotational system rather than a selected few.

For instance, rather than changing between Beasley and Whittaker on the left, why not give Naismith a Burke a chance?

Same again with players like Buffel, we know he has flair on his day, why not introduce him when we're behind and playing boring football?

Of course, easier said than done and I don't know how these players perform in training etc.

We haggled for months over a fee for Naismith and at the last second paid 2m pounds.

We just do not give Gow a chance (also Naismith, Burke and Buffel) even though we are crying out for some creativity. (see Faye above!)

Granted our squad is much deeper and better than last year, but we could and can be better yet.

I think Bazza has hit the nail on the head Nvager.

I think Bazza has hit the nail on the head Nvager.

I agree PB, I'm with Bazza on this and looking forward to some quality too.

Will turn out to be a great player, £2million spent well. He's only turned 23, Hemdani is almost 30. Has been awsome in the big games and we missed him in Spain. He and Ferguson work well together.

Still dont understand that one?

We took on Faye?

EPL and Ligue 1 experience, has a reputation of being a hard man and a grafter, albeit a poor player. Brought in for squad depth and maybe incase Hemdani left?

I don't understand? How have we spread the money thinner when we have actually spent more this year than we have basically since the days of Advocaat?

We brought in some Bosmans like JCD and Carroll, but we spent pretty significantly on the players nva has highlighted.

That doesn't seem to be a thin spread of cash - quite the opposite.

Or do I misunderstand?

I think Bazza means that despite spending around £10-12million the money has been spent reasonably 'thinly' because we had to buy so many new guys (even if their individual fees were not too high).

As such, because we now have the basis of a reasonably strong (and young) squad, IF we spend the same kind of money again, we won't need to buy so many new players. Ergo, that means slightly less risk and more chance of spending more money on a better quality of player.

Tbf we have been pretty lucky( or unlucky) with injuries so far

We have a decent squad which hasnt really had to be used so far

You say why buy thomson when we already had Hemdani, but Hemdani was injured for a few weeks where otherwise we could have been fucked

As we get nearer the end of the season i expect to see a few more injuries and a bit more rotation

Saying that I think everyone would have liked to see Gow and maybe Buffel getting some playing time, instead of taking on the pointless Riordan like role

Tbf we have been pretty lucky( or unlucky) with injuries so far

We have a decent squad which hasnt really had to be used so far

You say why buy thomson when we already had Hemdani, but Hemdani was injured for a few weeks where otherwise we could have been fucked

As we get nearer the end of the season i expect to see a few more injuries and a bit more rotation

Saying that I think everyone would have liked to see Gow and maybe Buffel getting some playing time, instead of taking on the pointless Riordan like role

Exactly, as the season goes on, with more injuries and suspensions, we will appreciate having a bigger squad.

I do wonder about Whittaker though.

I think Bazza means that despite spending around £10-12million the money has been spent reasonably 'thinly' because we had to buy so many new guys (even if their individual fees were not too high).

As such, because we now have the basis of a reasonably strong (and young) squad, IF we spend the same kind of money again, we won't need to buy so many new players. Ergo, that means slightly less risk and more chance of spending more money on a better quality of player.

Spot on Frankie - Danny was just looking for an argument as usual. He likes to do that.

:harhar: :harhar: (FAO Danny!)

Perhaps I am not grasping the notion of 'thin' the way everyone else is.

We spent 2M (or so) each on 5 players this year; LM, Naismith, Whittaker, Cousin, and Thomson.

That is a fairly significant outlay - my definition of thin would be that the limited finance you have is spread far more - in other words it would bring in 10 1M players rather than 5 2M players, if that makes sense.

My point is that in the past year, we've spent more money on individual players than we have since January 2005 (Buffel 2.5M Ferguson 4.5M).

Or am I not following what you chaps are getting at?

Spot on Frankie - Danny was just looking for an argument as usual. He likes to do that.

:harhar: :harhar: (FAO Danny!)

See my reply for clarification.

And keep your Buffel outta it. You don't like to do that :P

If someone had offered us this squad say...18 months ago, we would have bitten the proverbial hand off!

I think NVA makes an outstanding point about Faye though. Is it so unrealistic to think he was brought in only in case of Hemdani's departure?

I don't understand? How have we spread the money thinner when we have actually spent more this year than we have basically since the days of Advocaat?

We brought in some Bosmans like JCD and Carroll, but we spent pretty significantly on the players nva has highlighted.

Or do I misunderstand?

Its not really about the amount available but the way that amount was used ie. say it was 10 mil, we bought 5, 2 mil players this time round on more average players where as next summer I would like to think we would buy 2, 5 mil better quality players.

Walter said as much when he refused to buy Brown.

Or do I misunderstand?

Its not really about the amount available but the way that amount was used ie. say it was 10 mil, we bought 5, 2 mil players this time round on more average players where as next summer I would like to think we would buy 2, 5 mil better quality players.

I see your point, but it's still an improvement over previous seasons :)

Or do I misunderstand?

I see your point, but it's still an improvement over previous seasons :)

Most definately, and it was well needed. The squad had been severley reduced and a lot of the players were severley average. There was always going to have to be a time where money would have to be spent after several years of hardship.

Lets hope that we now take the next step and release the same amount for Walter to buy the quality. :)

its interesting how often fans such as ourslelves make judgements on players before and after theyve played for us and their opinions differ drastically.

anyone remember casting opinin on laudrup?

nah, thought not.

prior to signing i certainly made my opinion clear about gazza.

and amoruso.

and albertz

and bjorklund

and ricksen

and hateley

and kuznetsov

and ...

ad infinitem.

point is, the managers more often than not get them right.

we're not qualified to tell them whether we got it right or wrong. they;ve got the coaching badges, therefore they are.

Managers such as Walter Smith have so many other things to concern themselves with, notto mention the fact that they watch these players on the trainer ground every day they are out there; it's absolutely ludicrous for us to make judgements we are not well placed to make yet we feel we can do so.

Supporter arrogance knows no bounds.

And when it's an OF supporter, it's not only arrogance you're dealing with, but pig-headed thickness sometimes too.