The gallant failures

polar bear

"The gallant failures" when,and what do we have to do to lose this tag? :unsure:

Probably employ Scottish linesmen in the next UEFA competition. :(

I know what you're saying DP,but it's not just today,it seems like we have been making excuses for ever. :(

"The gallant failures" when,and what do we have to do to lose this tag? :unsure:

Probably employ Scottish linesmen in the next UEFA competition. :(

I know what you're saying DP,but it's not just today,it seems like we have been making excuses for ever. :(

I hear you pb. This sort of stuff got old a long long time ago. Maybe we'll see glory in the next life, m8 - here's hoping.

The players are fine, we just play a more simple, football based game.

Foriegn teams have tactics of getting penatlies, cards for us, and game plans not based around football (ronaldo, last world cup winking after rooney sent off) and todays game..

If it was about the football (as it was in the earlier days) we would easily be fine, if it was about the strength and character of a team..

The players are fine, we just play a more simple, football based game.

Foriegn teams have tactics of getting penatlies, cards for us, and game plans not based around football (ronaldo, last world cup winking after rooney sent off) and todays game..

If it was about the football (as it was in the earlier days) we would easily be fine, if it was about the strength and character of a team..

Spot on McB. In a way we can hold our heads even higher after this - if we had won the game on a similar decision, it would have definitely tainted the result for me, even if I were elated at getting through. I'm gutted we lost, but am so proud of this squad; I truly believe we have what it takes to make the next WC. So disappointed, though, especially for the likes of big Davie Weir. :(

We need to wise up and if they play that way we do likewise. Go down easily when tackled, feign injury etc.

Still you cannot blame the referee for:

a) Pathetic defending at times. (Both goals and the disallowed one)

b) Missing good chances ourselves - McFadden x 2, and Hutton.

Sure the Ref's decision was awful at the end, but he disallowed a good Italian goal too and BF's goal looked offside to me.

WE are a small nation with a limited pool of players. We nearly beat THE WORLD CHAMPIONS in a competitive game. NO failure that.

We have a fairly young pool of players too so we may well get better.

Cheer up and look forward. Do not look back.

We need to wise up and if they play that way we do likewise. Go down easily when tackled, feign injury etc.

Still you cannot blame the referee for:

a) Pathetic defending at times. (Both goals and the disallowed one)

b) Missing good chances ourselves - McFadden x 2, and Hutton.

Sure the Ref's decision was awful at the end, but he disallowed a good Italian goal too and BF's goal looked offside to me.

WE are a small nation with a limited pool of players. We nearly beat THE WORLD CHAMPIONS in a competitive game. NO failure that.

We have a fairly young pool of players too so we may well get better.

Cheer up and look forward. Do not look back.

Agree totally,

The "defending" at the throw in and free kick was of the schoolboy variety in fact probably worse. I dont want this to be yet another learning curve where we learn nothing.

The team performed above all expectations during the tournament.To run the 2 world cup finalists so close was a great effort and they deserve all the credit for it, but i hope this IS the start of a more consistent national team and not another false dawn.

Looking forward to the World cup qualifiers.

We are "gallant failures" more times than not because the press build us up to be more than we are. Don't get me wrong, we are assembling a very good team just now and one that can hopefully mount a serious challenge for the WC but when the papers keep building us up as high, we are always going to have to take massive drops.