Alan Hutton touted as future star of Serie A after show of force 'Times'

from the Times

Christian Panucci, Italy’s match-winner, believes that Alan Hutton is ready to write himself a ticket to Serie A after giving the world champions a torrid time at Hampden Park. Indeed, the AS Roma right back could easily be facing up to Hutton again next season in the Eternal City if Lazio pursue their interest in the Rangers player.

Panucci endorsed Hutton’s capabilities for his Roman rivals after watching the 22-year-old Scotland right back turn the clock back and offer a glimpse of what Panucci once did himself, as an attacking full back. Now Panucci is 34, but his mirror image on the Scotland side used those younger legs to devastating effect to torment Panucci’s partner, Gianluca Zambrotta, the left back.

“Hutton is a great player, so quick,†the former Chelsea player said. “He has a good future ahead of him. I know that for many foreign players it is hard to play in Italy, but I think Hutton has the right mentality and it would be good if a team want to sign him.â€

Panucci made his name at AC Milan a decade ago as an energetic right back before moving to Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Chelsea and then Roma in 2001. Ironically, he was not supposed to be playing at Hampden. Panucci had been out of the Azzurri lineup since 2004 - when he was excluded by Marcello Lippi, the former coach - but was recalled last month by his old friend Roberto Dona-doni, who was a teammate at Milan, for the win over Georgia. Saturday was his 51st appearance and he had only scored twice before for Italy, until his 90th-minute header from Andrea Pirlo’s cross killed Scotland’s dreams.

Panucci admitted to a tinge of sympathy for the hosts. “I am very sad for the Scottish players,†he said. “They were a good team and they always used fair play. They had a great mentality. I also loved the supporters here. It was a great atmosphere.

“Scotland played very well after they scored and they were very strong in the last 20 minutes. What happened in the last minute should not change that. I think you must be pleased with the way they played for your fans. For me, this is a dream. At 34, to score the goal that takes us to the European Championship finals is special. For it to come in the last minute is even better. I am so happy.â€

Panucci would not be so happy if Italy and Scotland were paired for the third time in a qualification campaign when the draw is made for the 2010 World Cup groups next week in South Africa. After facing each other in battle for the 2006 World Cup and then Euro 2008, he feels a ceasefire would be better. “A third time? I prefer not,†he said. “However, I would like to see Scotland qualify for that tournament, for these wonderful supporters.â€

nice words from panucci, not just about Hutton but about Scotland. Good luck to him at the finals, I hope he plays well.

We should do our best to hold on to Hutton, if silly money comes in then we may have to consider it though. Money talks in football and every player has his price. Nothing less than £10M would be acceptable to be, if we accept less then I would join any protest going.

He has improved alot more than anyone could have dreamed...and obviously with his performances in Europe and for Scotland then big clubs will take notice.

I hope he doesn't do a Fergie and go to the first Premiership club to show interest,hold out for Man U,Arsenal,Chelsea,Milan and the likes cos if he keeps improving the boy could play anywhere.

Report from today's Evening Times is indicating that Hutton is content where he is at the moment, does go on to say though that money talks.

Gers to resist Hutton offers

Hutton in demand

by Darrell King

RANGERS will resist any January transfer window bids for Alan Hutton.

The 22-year-old full back's stock has risen again with his display at Hampden, with some Italians claiming he is perfect for Serie A.

SportTimes can reveal Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson left Hampden raving about Hutton, and he will track the Ibrox man's progress as he considers a long-term replacement for Gary Neville.

Spurs have watched Hutton in his last five international and Champions League games and are very keen on signing him in January, while Newcastle are also interested.

advertisement

But Rangers will repel offers for a player who has become their biggest asset in terms of market value.

Hutton is contracted until 2012 after signing a five-year deal in the summer. Rangers may even consider improving that to keep him long term.

I understand the player is very content at Ibrox and wants to continue his development before considering any possible moves, but he is also aware money talks in football.

Roma full-back Christian Panucci, who got Italy's winner, said: "Hutton is very quick, very fast, and he has very good feet. He could play in Italy."

Hutton was today back at Murray Park trying to focus on club matters after being the victim of the shocking decision that led to Italy's killer second in the last minute.

"The way they got their second goal was very hard to take," he said. "I can't explain how I feel about it. It was just a terrible, terrible decision and it put us out of the competition.

"I had control of the ball, Chiellini has hit me and they managed to get a foul. It was beyond me that they could give that decision."

Hutton knows, however, that if Scotland can keep performing the way they did over this campaign, they will surely have a great chance of making the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

He added: "It's hard right now as we had turned up on Saturday looking to qualify, and everyone was left gutted.

"But we have to take a lot of pride from the way we played after being written off from the word go.

"The team, the fans, everyone has been magnificent. We just need to come back stronger, even though Saturday was one of the hardest things ever to take."

I'd hate for him to leave but even more so if it was to leave for Italy. He's contract until 2012 and is very happy at Rangers, we dont want to sell. If someone wants him then they are going to have to pay big bucks.

He is off in the New Year-Add Spurs & Bayern to the list as well-and if Lazio are in for him so will Roma be too.Finances at Ibrox dictate he will go, we cant hold onto players even if we want to-due to cash or lack of.Could end up an auction & we could get as much as £12M for him, which would go to the debt & Whittaker would get promotion.Enjoy him while we can because if he's at the Brox in the summer-I will live to be 100

as much as £12m you say. I say START the bidding at £12M.

We don't NEED to sell anyone, our finances may not be great but they are certainly not in such a state that we have to cash in. Hutton doesn't want to go anywhere just now, all these factors point to it taking an incredible bid to make us consider selling.

However we know who holds our purse strings.........

He is off in the New Year-Add Spurs & Bayern to the list as well-and if Lazio are in for him so will Roma be too.Finances at Ibrox dictate he will go, we cant hold onto players even if we want to-due to cash or lack of.Could end up an auction & we could get as much as £12M for him, which would go to the debt & Whittaker would get promotion.Enjoy him while we can because if he's at the Brox in the summer-I will live to be 100

12m - Just do not see that happening - we are not the lucky people CFC are!

I would grab 12m myself.

We still need to strengthen the remainder of the team.

My bet is he will STAY at Ibrox.

i hope alan hutton doesnt go cause i like him and hes a good player was he not one of the rangers youth developement players

I think he'll be here for at least another 2 years. Why would a young 22 year old want to go to a p*sh club or to a big club in a different country and maybe not play all the time. He's a Rangers man, he's developing very well under a great management team.

Think you'll be wrong about the assumption that he will be gone in the New Year, the only level of club he would consider going to will be the likes of Man U, Liverpool etc. Even considering going to a club like Spurs would be a step backwards for him. He will also be a Rangers player after Xmas because any of the other biggish clubs that could afford him he will be cup tied to play for in the CL.

Even if a substantial offer came in at the end of the season, and it's an offer which Rangers would have to consider, they will tell Hutton (from SDM. Walter etc) that they won't want him to leave, and I firmly believe that WS will have a large say in the matter, irrespective of what Bain or SDM think, as they brought him back to build a team.

At the end of the day though, Rangers would allow Hutton to make the choice himself as he is old enough and ugly enough to make his own mind up, and I have a feeling that he wouldn't want to leave this season or the next season as he is still developing, and WS is the best person to learn from.

i hope alan hutton doesnt go cause i like him and hes a good player was he not one of the rangers youth developement players

Yeah, he has came up through the ranks at Rangers, a True Blue who has the potential to become a Rangers Legend.

Patrick Barclay was saying on Talk Sport that Hutton could play at Barcelona or Real Madrid, if you had said that not so long ago the nurse would have been hurriedly getting the screens :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

You are so right on that one lol.When it comes to bargaining wi all these clubs after him-he could end up wi some dosh in a wage packet.Wages down in England is crazy.I know that one player in the championship-A Scottish international who played on saturday is on £25000 a week.A top bracket player in a top ten team down south can take £90000 home a week-wi 2/3 Million for a signing on fee.When anyone even a Hutton who is reported to be a £12000 player-who loves his club is offered dosh like that-Ah La Wayne Rooney.

as much as £12m you say. I say START the bidding at £12M.

We don't NEED to sell anyone, our finances may not be great but they are certainly not in such a state that we have to cash in. Hutton doesn't want to go anywhere just now, all these factors point to it taking an incredible bid to make us consider selling.

However we know who holds our purse strings.........

I agree, the CL cash means we don't need to sell and for once we want to be the ones laughing all the way to the bank

Newcastle United will buy Alan Hutton for £10m in the new year.

I can't see it TBH. He could do A LOT better than Newcastle, They wouldn't even be a step-up from Rangers apart from league exposure.