Is tonight a defeat for Xenophobia?

Thermopylae

I would hope at least that it is a defeat for the "well, Steve's a nice bloke and was loyal under SGE so we'd best give a chance" approach. Sven Goran was a terrible manager and to let his deputy take over was a huge blunder. it would have been akin to giving Tommy Burns the reigns after Berti left Scotland.

Obviously, the SGE regime wasn't working and what was needed was an entirely new approach. Now they'll have to hope for a Walter Smith style revival to make it to the World Cup.

I would hope at least that it is a defeat for the "well, Steve's a nice bloke and was loyal under SGE so we'd best give a chance" approach. Sven Goran was a terrible manager and to let his deputy take over was a huge blunder. it would have been akin to giving Tommy Burns the reigns after Berti left Scotland.

Obviously, the SGE regime wasn't working and what was needed was an entirely new approach. Now they'll have to hope for a Walter Smith style revival to make it to the World Cup.

Every man and his dog would have given it to Allardyce (probably glad they didn't looking at what a balls up he's making at the barcodes), the FA always go for the safe easy option.

Get a manager in who plays 4-4-2, bollocks to diamonds, christmas trees and all the rest of the garbage.

I know some on here have made comparisons with England being like the Mhanks, but i believe we're more like Rangers.

Teams used to be scared of playing against us and they're not anymore.

We have to make them scared again.

mcclaren wasnt even first choice, the fa wanted 2 foreigners - hiddink and scolari but they both turned engerland down. so i wouldnt be surprised if they went all out and tried to get mourinho(although i think he would reject).

Obviously the only reason that McClaren got the job is that he’s English, so does tonight prove that the best man should always get the job, and do we think the FA will have learned their lesson and look abroad for his replacement?

I don't mean to insult, but this post is absolute nonsense.

Obviously the only reason that McClaren got the job is that he’s English, so does tonight prove that the best man should always get the job, and do we think the FA will have learned their lesson and look abroad for his replacement?

McLaren did get the job, because he was English.

As if Allerdyce is any better a manager, he's getting found out at Newcastle. Constantly playing Alan Smith in midfield despite his shitness and playing a barely fit Owen when the best player at the club, Martins, is wasting on the bench half the time.

He only got it cause Scolari said no.

He only got it cause Scolari said no.

I wonder if what Thermo is trying to say is, if McLaren was from Bosnia, would his "one trip to the UEFA Cup final in time for your team to be absolutely creamed" resume have been sufficient to land the job?

I wonder if what Thermo is trying to say is, if McLaren was from Bosnia, would his "one trip to the UEFA Cup final in time for your team to be absolutely creamed" resume have been sufficient to land the job?

Indeed. However, how often do Germany, Italy or France go for a foreign coach?

McLaren is undoubtedly cr@p, but the main problem is that the players are simply not as good as the English media (and the players) think. How many would make a world 11? How many of tonight's weakened team would get into the Barcelona/Milan/Madrid teams? Crouch hardly gets a game for Liverpool and SRP and Cole have struggled to hold down their positions at Chelsea. Beckham is virtually retired from club football. Campbell is well past his best, Richards very inexperienced, ditto Lescott. Bridge is a nobody. Lampard and Gerrard are, obviously, players of repute, but have failed many times for England in the past.

Basically, they're just an very average side at this level.

Oh, forgot about Barry - oh well.

Every man and his dog would have given it to Allardyce (probably glad they didn't looking at what a balls up he's making at the barcodes), the FA always go for the safe easy option.

Get a manager in who plays 4-4-2, bollocks to diamonds, christmas trees and all the rest of the garbage.

I know some on here have made comparisons with England being like the Mhanks, but i believe we're more like Rangers.

Teams used to be scared of playing against us and they're not anymore.

We have to make them scared again.

Was the appointment of McClaren not about the same time that the scandal surrounding big Sam's son was either breaking or about to break? The problem really with McClaren is that he is basically a number 2, and I think his lack of leadership showed tonight