Champ 01/02

Dado'sMulls

PLEASE tell me that some of you aspiring managers in here still play this truly wonderful, most amazing of manager games ever created?!

I've played the new CM's, the new FM's, but still nothing compares to this old beast in my eyes.

Anyone still a retro Champer?

I'm still a sucker for a shot of 97/98, as that was the 1st one I'd ever played.

What a team we had in that!

I find this ok, only because its unbelievably easy.

its not in depth whatsoever.

The beauty of the new FM games is making up your own tactics and seeing it work, unlike the old CM's where you were gauranteed a victory with all the cheat players :lol:

PLEASE tell me that some of you aspiring managers in here still play this truly wonderful, most amazing of manager games ever created?!

I've played the new CM's, the new FM's, but still nothing compares to this old beast in my eyes.

Anyone still a retro Champer?

I'm still a sucker for a shot of 97/98, as that was the 1st one I'd ever played.

What a team we had in that!

if u have a session of that. search "Alan Lawrence" should be at hearts at that time :P

The new FM games seem too overly complicated to me, as if SI are just trying too hard to make it as real as possible. The old CM games were simple, easy to use, and the most addictive f*cking games I've ever played. Many a night has been spent on the edge of my computer seat as I watched my teams battling it out in the Champions League, only to be humped about 4-0 by Roma every time you played them. Canny whack it!

• 2 weeks later...

Champ 01/02 is the best, it was so simple, no sponsors, stadium building, barely any media interaction, very very basic training and it still managed to retain a very playable, enjoyable and addictive game.

It focused more on the tactics, team building and picking rather than lulling over what training regime a player should have every hour of every day, too much control over too many things can get on top of you and take all the fun from the game.

I could usually run through a season in 2 hours as well where as football manager 2008 would take me 5 at least.

I remember premier manager 2000 where you had to change the prices of the pies etc.. that game went too far and was ultimatly its downfall. I'm sure the price of the half time food keeps Walter Smith, Arsene Wenger etc.. up worrying at night!

I used to play it a lot, but now I pretty much just play 07. I might not get 08 since I don't like watching the 2D match engine and it forces you to when you edit tactics/subs during a match. You can't simulate human behaviour so I don't get why they try. I would maybe use it if they introduced an isometric/3d view with modelled ball physics.