Man Utd sign Angolan striker 'Manucho'

Boab

21/12/2007 11:59, Report by Adam Bostock

Boss reveals new signing

United has reached agreement with Petro Athletico of Luanda to sign Mateus Alberto Contreiras Goncalves – "Manucho."

The 24-year-old Angolan international striker, who has scored twice in 10 appearances for his country, has agreed personal terms and will join the Club in January on a 3-year agreement. An application for a work permit will be made in due course.

He was top goalscorer in the last two seasons of the GiraBola, finishing with 16 goals for Petro Luanda in 2006 and 15 goals this year. Manucho will be part of the Angolan squad for the African Nations Cup in January.

Sir Alex Ferguson is delighted by the new arrival, saying: “We have had Manucho here for a 3-week trial and have been impressed enough to offer him a 3-year contract.

"He is a tall, agile, quick forward and through contacts that Carlos [Queiroz] has was brought to our attention around six months agoâ€

Great for Angolan Football, only other Angolan player I can think is Montarras

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=...p;newsid=517365

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy. SAF has made some blunders in the transfer market to be sure, but his eye for a forward is normally pretty great.

he has, but being free it matters little if this guy doesn't deliver.

I also think Dong is just there for more exposure to the Asian market