Smith rages at sending off

Boab

Rangers manager Walter Smith has slammed the antics of the assistant referee who advised Kenny Clark to send off midfielder Lee McCulloch during a first half brawl at Pittodrie.

Speaking to Setanta Sports after the game, Smith was obviously bemused about the way the referee’s assistant conducted himself during the fracas.

“It’s a strange situation just now, where linesmen want to be referees now,†Smith told Setanta Sports. “They are not happy for the referee to referee the game.

“It’s the first time ever I’ve seen a linesman run 50 or 60 yards to tell a referee that he has to send someone off.

“So if the referee was in a good position, possibly better than him, hasn’t seen the incident – I actually don’t know what it was – it seems rather strange that a linesman won’t run for a ball, so why should he run on to the pitch and tell a referee someone has to get sent off?"

On the actual sending off, Smith questioned the view the assistant referee had of the whole situation and also explained that the action of Alan Hutton was the catalyst for a whole series of reactions from players on the pitch, but the game was just a typical encounter between the two sides.

Smith added: “When we come here, historically there is always a lot of bitter rivalry between the two teams in the game.

“A foul in the game from Alan Hutton brought a reaction from all the players on the pitch, not just my own players but all the players and the same thing happened when Chris Clark went for his retribution if you like with Alan Hutton, so that led to the ordering off.

“We don’t have the benefit of seeing the incident, but the linesman was certainly eagle-eyed, because he was standing next to me and he saw it, so I didn’t manage to see it and the referee won’t speak to me, so at the end of the day we don’t know what really happened.â€

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...-McCulloch-red/

But it was a sending off. Smith can't blame anyone but McCulloch and he should be raging at Ferguson aswell, he was lucky to stay on and I wouldn't put it past the SPL looking at video evidence over Ferguson's actions.

totally smith is an idiot, the correct term for the linesman nowadays if im correct is assistant referee...........

why the fuk shouldnt he help the ref if an incident was missed.......one person to blame and thats mcculloch

First time I've heard Smith sounding outright bitter. It was stupid from McCulloch and he got what he deserved. Maybe mr linesman felt justice should be done? And I suspect Smith was too busy looking at his prize asset Hutton on the deck to pay attention to the ruckus.

Hutton's tackle was a fair challenge. Clark should of been given a straight red for his. It's the kind of tackle that makes you want to two foot him right on the knee cap the next time he has the ball.

totally smith is an idiot, the correct term for the linesman nowadays if im correct is assistant referee...........

why the fuk shouldnt he help the ref if an incident was missed.......one person to blame and thats mcculloch

Absolutely correct the AR (Assistant Ref) is there to assist the ref. The ref cannot seeeverything and he has 3 other officials with eyes that can pick up anything the he has missed.

McCulloch is to blame 100%. What a stupid thing to do.

To be fair to Smith, he's speaking in an interview immediately after the game, where he hasn't had a chance to see the incident.

Look at it from his point of view. Loads of players get involved after the challenge on Hutton, he can't see what's going on, the ref hasn't seen what's gone on and doesn't seem as though he's going to act..........then Smith sees a linesman make the effort to run 50 yards to advise the ref that, amongst all of that, he's spotted McCulloch committing a red card offence.

McCulloch did deserve to go, but then I've seen the replay and had time to reflect. Smith hasn't the benefit of either, so I don't think he should be criticised harshly for his stance.

Hutton's tackle was a fair challenge. Clark should of been given a straight red for his. It's the kind of tackle that makes you want to two foot him right on the knee cap the next time he has the ball.

Agreed.

How it wasn't a red is still baffling me.

Guest GabyAmatoAppreciationSocie
why the fuk shouldnt he help the ref if an incident was missed.

because it sets a precedent for future performance. if the linesmen ( you call them asst refs if you like) get involved in some decisions, then they ALL have to prepare to get involved in ALL DECISIONS. you cant have one without the other - so stop being smug. the linesmen's involvement today was appalling. the mcculloch attack on severin was retribution for severins involvement in the hutton incident prior - just so happened the ref and linesmen didnt spot that one!

some of you guys are too quick to blame our guys.

Guest GabyAmatoAppreciationSocie
wtf? How can Walter be criticizing the linseman? That's his fecking job <cr>

Desrved red card. Idiot.

you talking to me?

why the fuk shouldnt he help the ref if an incident was missed.

because it sets a precedent for future performance. if the linesmen ( you call them asst refs if you like) get involved in some decisions, then they ALL have to prepare to get involved in ALL DECISIONS. you cant have one without the other - so stop being smug. the linesmen's involvement today was appalling. the mcculloch attack on severin was retribution for severins involvement in the hutton incident prior - just so happened the ref and linesmen didnt spot that one!

some of you guys are too quick to blame our guys.

No, your post is appalling.

I have done my Referee course and Law 6 says that an Assistant Referee can get involved in any indicents that the Referee did not see that is out the view of the Referee so you are wrong. Damn wrong.

He's there to assist the ref and that's exactly what he did. Instead of blaming someone else Watty, why not have a go at your precious McCulloch, he was the only one in the wrong.

McCulloch was a fanny, Aberdeen were losing the place & were there for the taking.

Fergie had 3 instances where he should have been sent off.

Huttons challnge on Clark happened when the ball was out of play, Hutton was a bit impetuous & unlucky

I dont think the Clark challenge merited a red card.

No matter what happened we should of won. Aberdeen were rotten, they were brutal. 2 points dropped and a real chance to put big pressure on the tims.

Yet again we fail to take our chances, same old Rangers.

bluenose_jr

Fergusons 3 isntances going to explain then please id dint even see one??

Lee was silly but it was handbags really and yes it was to do with Severins involvement in the earlier flashpoint.

Get behind the fucking team the linesman was apalling i expect every linesman to punish any off ball incidents in the same way now. No consistency was shown Clark should have been sent off he also was seeking retribution. Sorry im not quick to criticise our players, McCulloch was silly but he will know this and will learn from it least the game means something to him and we dont have 11 fucking Daniel Cousins on the pitch who are there purely for wage, shame on Lee showing a bit of pride and care for the team he plays for!!!

bluenose_jr

Fergusons 3 isntances going to explain then please id dint even see one??

Lee was silly but it was handbags really and yes it was to do with Severins involvement in the earlier flashpoint.

Get behind the fucking team the linesman was apalling i expect every linesman to punish any off ball incidents in the same way now. No consistency was shown Clark should have been sent off he also was seeking retribution. Sorry im not quick to criticise our players, McCulloch was silly but he will know this and will learn from it least the game means something to him and we dont have 11 fucking Daniel Cousins on the pitch who are there purely for wage, shame on Lee showing a bit of pride and care for the team he plays for!!!

1.12 in thats why he should have been sent off thats 1

It doesn't sound like he is saying he shouldn't be sent off.

What he is saying that the res was 10 feet away and never saw it. The linesman on that side was 13 feet away and never saw it. Then this other linesman was 60 yards away, standing next to WS (who saw nothing) and has saw it all. And has said it was a red card offence from that distance. I think that is what he is getting at.

A valid point he makes is that the lines steps over a ball when it goes out for a throw in but he quite happily ran 60 yards to tell the ref something that he cuoldn't possibly have entirely saw as McCulloch had his back to him.

Of course that doesn't detract from the fact McCulloch did deserve to be carded. But if clarks offence only merited a yellow, I would argue that McCullochs did too.

To be fair to Smith, he's speaking in an interview immediately after the game, where he hasn't had a chance to see the incident.

Look at it from his point of view. Loads of players get involved after the challenge on Hutton, he can't see what's going on, the ref hasn't seen what's gone on and doesn't seem as though he's going to act..........then Smith sees a linesman make the effort to run 50 yards to advise the ref that, amongst all of that, he's spotted McCulloch committing a red card offence.

McCulloch did deserve to go, but then I've seen the replay and had time to reflect. Smith hasn't the benefit of either, so I don't think he should be criticised harshly for his stance.

Well put, SB. Its hard to believe if you are WS that the AR has seen something you completely missed but then the AR should be looking for that kind of thing.

The other thing I'd note is that Smith said the ref refused to discuss the issue with him. A straight, man to man conversation would do a lot more to persuade players and managers that the ref is on the right track than the ref jogging to the dressing room and refusing to comment.