The captain

The Lad

Guest GabyAmatoAppreciationSocie
Ferguson's probably in a sulk because Hutton is the biggest fish in our pond right now and he's bitter about it.

You may have hit the nail firmly on the head there.

fuk sake. : slaphead:

Yeah your point made me think again.

I mean it's not like Fergie is known to sulk when he isn't getting his own way or all the attention is he?

for the love of christ - what age are you? you honestly think a 30 year old man who is the cpatin of scotlands biggest club has this kind of hang up?

you on the dole son? you got nothing better to do with your time?

some people recognise and take responsibilities seriously.

so gies fuckin peace. you've some cheek criticising our captain like that.

Please show respect to all posters on this forum. This kind of insulting post won't be tolerated here. Especially not to a staff member.

Pay heed.

Thank you.

fair does dan - apologies. just dont like seeing our captain get hung drawn and quartered which is what I sense is about to happen here.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferguson is a problem in the team in the sense that if he isn't in the team then we don't have adequate cover for him or someone to compete for that role. I honestly think that if we had someone good enough to play there then Ferguson would have been dropped for some games. His position atm is secure and he knows that which can cause below par performances which aren't acceptable.

he's the captain of the club not just the team. his responsibilities extend beyond the team that goes out on the park.

the captain of the club has responsibilities and duties that he recognises lift him above those of a normal player and if you look thru the history of rangers performances youll realise there were plenty of captains of RFC whose playing performances fell below par. richard gough, amoruso etc. not to mention souness. ferguson may not be playing his best- but he's definitley a level above everyone else regardless.

Just a pity he's no shown that for a long while!

First off he's just a player like everybody else and if he's playing piss, he'll get the same treatment as every other player!

fair does dan - apologies. just dont like seeing our captain get hung drawn and quartered which is what I sense is about to happen here.

(tu)

But if Barry does something which deserves criticism, his own contribution to the club doesn't make him immune to that.

I don't think people are gonna lynch him. I certainly ain't - but suggesting he's been off the boil for ages and isn't always showing the right attitude on the pitch is fairly justified criticism and I personally think he needs a rest/dropped.

Ferguson is a problem in the team in the sense that if he isn't in the team then we don't have adequate cover for him or someone to compete for that role. I honestly think that if we had someone good enough to play there then Ferguson would have been dropped for some games. His position atm is secure and he knows that which can cause below par performances which aren't acceptable.

he's the captain of the club not just the team. his responsibilities extend beyond the team that goes out on the park.

the captain of the club has responsibilities and duties that he recognises lift him above those of a normal player and if you look thru the history of rangers performances youll realise there were plenty of captains of RFC whose playing performances fell below par. richard gough, amoruso etc. not to mention souness. ferguson may not be playing his best- but he's definitley a level above everyone else regardless.

On his day I consider him a world class player. I am one of the most nauseatingly persistent advocates of him around.

If you look at my posting history, my praise for him is among the most embarrassingly gushing.

But even I see him as currently mentally and physically off the pace.

Something ain't right with him.

The way he seems to have a grip over the team worries me slightly.

It reminds me Henry's situation at Arsenal. Once he moved on, some of the players said they felt overshadowed, and sometimes passed the ball to him even if he wasn't in the best position.

And now that he's gone, players such as Fabregas, Van Persie, Adebayor, Hleb have stepped up and all seem to be playing better football as a result.

I'd drop him for one game, then see how he reacts when recalled.

even off the boil he's still too good for us to drop

I would have agreed until recently, in the last few games I think he has been no better than average... we have a alot of games coming up and I would not be unhappy to see him sidelined a couple of times. I think a Thomson Hemdani center midfield would do the same as a Hemdani Ferguson or Thomson Ferguson central pair. Or we could even look to have Thomson or Hemdani with Buffel... we have a few options... just as long as Amdy Faye is not one of them I am happy to give them a go

I feel a lot more confident about our ability to cope without ferguson now than I did just a few weeks ago... He is now 30 years old, if our team cannot cope without him we are in serious trouble.

I've not been all too impressed with the captains attitude lately. Throwing cuellar out the way against lyon, and today looked like he just wanted a fight.

Also he has put in some less than impressive displays. Should Walter perhaps let him know he isn't untouchable and drop him for a game or two, or even just sub him off when he's not up to par.

I think we gotta start making examples of people not up to scratch, or we'll have fergie thinking its his team again.

Good Shout ! - no man is bigger than the club , yes we all say that about the Rangers players

but it is time Walter started this - after all we have an ideal replacement in Hemdani -

I've not been all too impressed with the captains attitude lately. Throwing cuellar out the way against lyon, and today looked like he just wanted a fight.

Also he has put in some less than impressive displays. Should Walter perhaps let him know he isn't untouchable and drop him for a game or two, or even just sub him off when he's not up to par.

I think we gotta start making examples of people not up to scratch, or we'll have fergie thinking its his team again.

Good Shout ! - no man is bigger than the club , yes we all say that about the Rangers players

but it is time Walter started this - after all we have an ideal replacement in Hemdani -

I am one of Ferguson's biggest critics, and think he has been in decline since leaving for Blackburn, but to be fair three managers in succession have asked him to do a job he has never been up to. I don't see the point in doing the same with Hemdami. We need to bring in a replacement.

FFS - I know BF has not being playing his best - but we have fans on here moaning about his fight and aggresion - if some of the rest of the team showed that passion perhaps he would'nt feel like he had to do it all himself (which I do see as a fault) - but amazing that people critisise him for fighting for the Jersay.!

FFS - I know BF has not being playing his best - but we have fans on here moaning about his fight and aggresion - if some of the rest of the team showed that passion perhaps he would'nt feel like he had to do it all himself (which I do see as a fault) - but amazing that people critisise him for fighting for the Jersay.!

i agree if only some of our players had the same heart and fight that barry has for the club.

i agree if only some of our players had the same heart and fight that barry has for the club.

It could be strongly argued that several already give more than a monkeys - Cuellar, Hutton, Weir, Novo, LM, Boyd. But bar LM's indiscretion yesterday, none of these guys are acting like Barry has been these days.

You can't just defend him by saying he loves the club - that's not a defence and it doesn't justify him acting out of line.

The more time goes on, the more this argument of 'he feels he has to do everything' simply seems to be a positive spin on 'his ego is massive and he thinks he's the dog's and thinks he's better than everyone else'.

Do we basically want all our players running around like arrogant tossers, moaning at everyone and showing negative attitude?

I don't.

John Fleck is 16..

has he ever even come on as a sub in the spl..never mind start a game

The boy might have potential but the last thing he needs is people Talking him up to be something he aint..Yeet!

He still needs to improve if he wants to be a star at rangers..He migth be good just now but he needs time

Your a bit late there it happens all the time :rolleyes:

John Fleck is 16..

has he ever even come on as a sub in the spl..never mind start a game

The boy might have potential but the last thing he needs is people Talking him up to be something he aint..Yeet!

He still needs to improve if he wants to be a star at rangers..He migth be good just now but he needs time

John Fleck is nowhere near good enough to play for the main team, After all he only had Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid and many other top clubs around Europe trying to sign him.

Fabregas was 16, Rooney was 16, Lennon was 16, Theo Walcott was 16, Maldini was 17 and Ronaldo was 17 to name a few.

Rangers dont have an abundance of talent at their disposel and if John Fleck is as good as they seem to think he is, Noone in the Rangers team should be able to keep him out the team.

He is never going to improve unless he is given a chance in the first team.

Captain Barry needs a rest, but can we replace him adequately?

I personally would give try FURMAN at least for part of a game and see how he does.

I would also try Burke and Gow on the flanks for a game or half a game too to see how they do. We need some pace and creativity.

Fleck - try him too for half an hour and see what he can do.

We have nothing to lose by giving these people a half hour or a whole half to see if they are up to it and to encourage them.

I don't agree at all that ferguson looked like he wanted a fight. A couple of flashpoints which could have resulted in yellow cards.... BUT given that he wasn't given a yellow for the first incident then you can't use them to argue he should have been sent off.

First Incident: Shoulder barge at time of Hutton's tackle - could have been a yellow

Second Incident: Running over to stop McCulloch getting involved - doesn't sound to me like he was "LOOKING FOR A FIGHT" in this incident as he was playing the peacemaker. Pity the commentators couldn't see it.

Third Incident: Grabbed throat of Maguire - at most a yellow. Hearts keeper did the same yesterday and got a yellow for it. Boruc did it to Davie Weir and you never heard anyone demanding a red card for it.

Could it be that Fergie is so desperate to win the title that he is trying too hard. yesterday he was our furthest forward player closing down when Aberdeen had the ball in their own half. 2 years without a trophy for a Rangers captain is hard to take and if we get our noses in front in the league you'll see a different player.

the rumour of him being sold is just that, no way rangers will sell him unless he wants to leave but after his stint at Blackburn can't see that happening either.

Captain Barry needs a rest, but can we replace him adequately?

I personally would give try FURMAN at least for part of a game and see how he does.

I would also try Burke and Gow on the flanks for a game or half a game too to see how they do. We need some pace and creativity.

Fleck - try him too for half an hour and see what he can do.

We have nothing to lose by giving these people a half hour or a whole half to see if they are up to it and to encourage them.

size="2"]While Barry has not been at his best lately, and could probably do with a rest, we cannot afford to do that at the moment. If he misses a few games in the future (which I hope does not happen) with injury or a ban for too many yellow cards, that is when the people on here who do not appreciate him will realise just how much he means to our team.

At this rate Ferguson is fast turning into a liability. His performance v Aberdeen was disgraceful; he was damn lucky not to walk and I do not expect the Club Captain, a 30 yr old International, to be provoked by a smirking teenager looking for a reputation. It is unacceptable, as were the on-pitch incidents involving Rangers players.

It is no coincidence that as Ferguson seems to fade, others around him like Whittaker, Thomson and Naisimith seem to be improving as they step out the shadow of 'Mr Rangers'. Compared to the unjust abuse that some of these guys got, and are still getting, the criticism that Ferguson is now receiving is mild.

I have never doubted Fergusons' ability but I have always doubted the wisdom in allowing Ferguson to retain the Captaincy following his part in the Le Guen saga. IMO, this has given Ferguson the entirely false impression that he is somehow fireproof, that he is bigger than the Club and behave whatever way he pleases. True, he was a very important player when carried the midfield for a few seasons running but the flip side to this was a constant defiance of the manager on the ground that Barry knew better.

Ferguson should be dropped before he is sent off and he ought to be replace by Hemdami, Furman, Adam or Gow. NOT Amdy Faye, which was one Walters' worst decision of the season so far. BTW, someone who can hit a halfway decent set piece might be useful. No doubt some will argue that dropping Ferguson is a risk but how much of a risk if he picks up a suspension?