Burke happy to be back and and is glad of progress

Boab

Rangers winger Chris Burke hopes to have proved he is worthy of a first-team place following his appearance against Motherwell.

The 24-year-old featured for his first full 90 minutes of the season in the 3-1 Boxing Day victory over Well and showed no signs of rustiness as he impressed.

Prior to the game, his only other start of the campaign was against Third Division East Fife in the CIS Insurance Cup and his only other SPL involvement was as a substitute against Hearts earlier this month.

Whilst Burke is all so aware of the stiff competition first-team players are facing to get into the squad on a regular basis, he now hopes to stake his claim to boss Walter Smith.

Progress

"It was tiring but it was good and I enjoyed it," he said. "It was my first start since East Fife away and it was good to get my home debut [this season].

"It is frustrating when you're not involved in the first team. I made the bench in the last home game and, in this game, I've come in and played the whole 90 minutes so there is progress there.

"I'll just be happy to make the squad on Saturday.

"But I do want to play football week in week out. It's very frustrating as a player, you want to play every Saturday or Sunday.

"It is disappointing when you're left out but it's down to me to push myself and show what I can do in training."

Staying put

Players such as Alan Gow, Thomas Buffel, Kirk Broadfoot and Brahim Hemdani have had spells out of the squad this season and with the January transfer window drawing close, Burke insists he is not interested in quitting Ibrox in search of a regular place.

"I don't want to go out on loan. I want to stay here and fight for my place," he said. "I love this club, I've played here since I was 17-years-old, and that's what I'm here to do - fight for my place."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3006933,00.html

Good to read this, especially the last sentence - didn't get to see the match yesterday as I was away, but nice to see that Burkey got playing time and also scored a goal.

Oops, correct that - he had an assist to set up Boydy (just saw the highlights). Must've misunderstood some earlier comments on the board.

Anyway, looks like the boys had a lot of chances yesterday from what I just saw. Will also say also that Cousin's goal was a peach of a shot - credit to him.

Missed the game yesterday but noticed that he was given MOTM in a couple of todays papers.

I'll be 110% honest and say that I haven't got a lot of time for Chris Burke and although he has bags of talent he only uses it when he can be bothered in my opinion.

That said, if he can continue from where he left off yesterday then I'll back him as much as the next person.

He got man of the match from the match sponsors yesterday.

Generally he had a decent game (miles behind the fabulous Kevin Thomson though) but his usual bad decision-making and poor final ball were again evident. I'm perhaps being overly harsh as he had a few superb runs but his end product has to be better if we've to play him regularly.

It's difficult to decide whether or not Burke deserves a future. He has plenty of positives but still plenty of question marks. Can we afford to risk standing by him?

He got man of the match from the match sponsors yesterday.

Generally he had a decent game (miles behind the fabulous Kevin Thomson though) but his usual bad decision-making and poor final ball were again evident. I'm perhaps being overly harsh as he had a few superb runs but his end product has to be better if we've to play him regularly.

It's difficult to decide whether or not Burke deserves a future. He has plenty of positives but still plenty of question marks. Can we afford to risk standing by him?

A very fair description of Burke's performance yday. I thot the game highlighted everything that is both good and bad about Chris Burke!!!

I still think the best position for Burke would be through the middle in a sort of second striker role.

I always think he's at his best when he cuts inside anyway and that way we are making the best of his ability to dribble, drag defenders out of position and generally maze his way past players, while also covering up his obvious weaknesses: tracking back and crossing.

I still think the best position for Burke would be through the middle in a sort of second striker role.

I always think he's at his best when he cuts inside anyway and that way we are making the best of his ability to dribble, drag defenders out of position and generally maze his way past players, while also covering up his obvious weaknesses: tracking back and crossing.

Something in that, but cannot see WS playing him as a centre midfielder all the same nor as a striker. Buffel cant get a game there either.

I would agree 100% with your assessment, this certainly would maximise his strong points and minimise his weaknesses.