Walter on transfers, won't have to sell before he buys

Boab

Three points at Easter Road in today's Setanta showdown would help and Rangers have Jean-Claude Darcheville available again, although there are doubts over Charlie Adam and Lee McCulloch.

That could mean another start for Chris Burke after his fine show against Motherwell on Boxing Day and Smith praised the winger and other Rangers players who have come in from the cold.

He said: "To be fair to every one of them they've kept themselves ready to play. I said to those who weren't playing that they had to be ready to play and sometimes it has surprised them when they've been involved.

"It's a credit to them that they've kept a level of fitness and sharpness about themselves and they have all been keen to show what they can when they've had an opportunity. Chris is in that category."

Smith won't send any of his first-team fringe men on loan next month but the Rangers boss insisted he won't have to sell anyone to finance deals that could bring a couple of players in.

He added: "I'm not looking to send boys out on loan and nobody has expressed a desire to go out on loan. With the games we've got coming up it will be important to keep a good squad about us.

"It's encouraging that nobody wants to go but nobody has approached us asking for anybody either.

"They've all expressed a desire to stay and that's a good thing for us. You look at the number of fixtures coming up and we'll need them.

"There are one or two players we feel would improve the squad and that's what it will be. You are not talking about any huge change. We don't need to get rid of anybody at the moment.

"None of the boys who are actually here have asked to leave because they are not getting a game. We have a decent group, a good group to work with in the first half of the season.

"So we will only go out if there is someone who can improve specific positions.

"During the holiday period there is no one who wants to transfer a player in the early part of January. The majority of clubs in Europe are not playing and in England they are like us.

"So it's not something we will dive into unless someone was available and who we were wanting.

"I would hope any signing would be for the long term. If they were unavailable for Europe then so be it."

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20268274/

good to hear, i think we need at least 2 quality additions in january to keep our title hopes alive. Good to hear that walter doesnt have to sell to buy and hes being sensible saying he doesnt want big changes to the team as that could harm our hopes imo. It takes a while for players to settle. You can get away with bringing in one or two to a successful side though.