Fans united over OF derby postponement

Boab

Fans united over Old Firm derby postponement

Comment

Celtic and Rangers supporters were today united in their backing of the decision to postpone Wednesday's Old Firm derby.

The Scottish Premier League confirmed the fixture would not go ahead following a request from the Hoops this morning.

The Parkhead club are still trying to come to terms with the loss of former player Phil O'Donnell, who died after collapsing during Motherwell's 5-3 victory over Dundee United on Saturday.

advertisement

The whole of Scottish football remains in mourning following the loss of the popular 35-year-old.

Peter Rafferty, President of the Affiliation of Celtic Supporters Clubs, said: "It was a very difficult decision to make in footballing terms.

"It's a huge game and a huge sporting occasion but that pales into insignificance after what has happened.

"This is an emotional time of year anyway and you have to feel for his wife and family.'' O'Donnell was Tommy Burns' first major signing as Celtic manager, joining from Motherwell in a £1.75million deal in 1994, before returning to Fir Park following a spell at Sheffield Wednesday.

Rafferty added: "Phil, of course, was also a Celtic player and I have fond memories of Phil O'Donnell personally and a lot of supporters will have their own memories.

"The thing I remember is the day he signed for Celtic. I was at Celtic Park collecting a ball to be raffled for charity and asked Phil to sign it.

"It was no problem for him. He was just a genuine, nice man.'' John Macmillan, Secretary of the Rangers Supporters Clubs, believes to have gone ahead with the Old Firm clash in the wake of such a tragedy would have been unthinkable.

He said: "In the circumstances, I don't think there was any alternative. Both clubs were in agreement and it was only right that the game was postponed.

"It may be unfair on people who have paid money for flights, etc, to get to the game but in the cold light of day it was the only decision which could have been made.

"I'm a bit surprised the whole fixture card wasn't postponed but Phil O'Donnell was a former Celtic player, as well as playing for Motherwell.'' Macmillan added: "On behalf of the Rangers Supporters Association, our thoughts go out to Phil O'Donnell's family.''

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/display.var.1935184.0..php

I'm a bit surprised the whole fixture card wasn't postponed but Phil O'Donnell was a former Celtic player, as well as playing for Motherwell.'' Macmillan added: "On behalf of the Rangers Supporters Association, our thoughts go out to Phil O'Donnell's family.''

I like the wee dig there to the SPL (tu)

Starting too see now.

Yeahs were all gutted no game, But to be thankfull that we all have our health..This young mans family are without a father,brother,uncle,son at the start of a new year, while we can forget about the game tonight and celebrate the new year..Phil o'donnels family are still mourning the loss of a real gift to scottish football. He never got to produce the talent he could of had due to injuries but the way he had contributed to motherwell this season showed that he was truley a class act. On saturday he was playing in one of the games of his life, 5-1 up with a bunch of talented youngsters alongside him and he was captaining them. He knew they looked up to him and he was proud of that. A truley great footballer who will be sadley missed.

R.I.P Phil o'Donnell :(

aye great headline by the daily rebel and who the fuck died and told that edjit John Macmillan he was the new spokesman for the whole of the Rangers support :lol:

Exactly!

I think I have disagreed with most things this nugget has said in the past.

aye great headline by the daily rebel and who the fuck died and told that edjit John Macmillan he was the new spokesman for the whole of the Rangers support :lol:

doh poor choice of words really, given the circumstances.