Interview with Burke in the Evening Times

I'm only quoting a little part from it, but the full article makes interesting reading:

A number of players remain frozen out of the first-team picture, including summer arrivals Kirk Broadfoot and Alan Gow, but Smith insisted last week that not one player has asked him about a possible exit from the club.

That, Burke believes, is down to the desire within the camp to respond to the manager's rallying cry before a ball was kicked in the quest to win the SPL championship for the first time in three years.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...1939779.0.0.php

That is interesting, especially when you consider a lot of fans thought he was a money grabbing wee prick.

Even after he got the new contract he wasn't playing well. As most of us have said all along, Walter and Ally will be able to show the players what it means to be playing for such a great club and that looks exactly what they have done.

Well, well done Burkie. He has impressed since he came into the squad and deserves to play against Dundee Utd...

Just.. keep it up wee man.

And well done to WS and Ally... So much goes on that us fans know nothing about..

Well, well done Burkie. He has impressed since he came into the squad and deserves to play against Dundee Utd...

Just.. keep it up wee man.

And well done to WS and Ally... So much goes on that us fans know nothing about..

ano welldone also, just hope wee burkey can keep up these perfomances and keep that bit of flair on the park that i think we need. :bouncy:

That is interesting, especially when you consider a lot of fans thought he was a money grabbing wee prick.

Even after he got the new contract he wasn't playing well. As most of us have said all along, Walter and Ally will be able to show the players what it means to be playing for such a great club and that looks exactly what they have done.

Burke's recent form does not change him from being a money grabbing wee prick at the contract negotiations.

But as long as he plays well as he is, I don't mind that he was a money grabbing wee prick.

Burke's recent form does not change him from being a money grabbing wee prick at the contract negotiations.

But as long as he plays well as he is, I don't mind that he was a money grabbing wee prick.

:lol:

The noises comming from within Ibrox are of a very solid nature, and even if thats not true, its the image that Walter will always put across. What happens behind closed doors stays there. (tu)

As for Burke, he is showing signs of getting back to the form he had in McLeish's last season.

In what way was he a 'money grabbing wee prick'?

Burke earns an £8K p/w basic with £5K p/w added on in terms of PRP bonuses. This is what Rangers offered him and even so I doubt any of us would refuse to negotiate when it comes to new contracts. Accepting the PRP stuff when he could have asked Rangers for an increased basic (or obtained it at another club) doesn't suggest too much greed to me.

If Burke is a 'money grabbing prick' then so is every football player who has ever asked for a pay rise. I won't ask what you'd call the ones who refuse any PRP contract stuff that Burke has accepted.

I'm not saying we should excuse him for any wrong doing - if any, just because he's had two good performances. I am saying from recent interviews, it looks as though he is actually wanting to play for the jersey now that Walter and Ally are here, as opposed to previously when under the management of PLG when some fans didn't like him.

I'm not saying we should excuse him for any wrong doing - if any, just because he's had two good performances. I am saying from recent interviews, it looks as though he is actually wanting to play for the jersey now that Walter and Ally are here, as opposed to previously when under the management of PLG when some fans didn't like him.

His attitude has been much improved - watching him in the warm up V Hibs when he was jogging alongside Naismith and tbh he looked a different person. Gone was that greetin' faced scowl and general facade of 'ah wish ah wiznae here' and he actually looked, dare I say it, happy.

But this doesn't excuse the very bad vibes surrounding him before the new contract was signed, and the frankly absurd amount of time it took to get it finalised.

But that it doesn't excuse this is basically irrelevant. I always support the players 100% when they put on the jersey, and he is now performing it seems.

As for some fans disliking him, well it was with good reason; he took forever to sign a new contract, and he was playing like crap at the time. It was like 'what gives you the right to bargain and look elsewhere when this club has supported you from the start, and through your absence. Now you're in poor form, STILL being offered the new deal, yet you are open to leaving?'

Fair enough, loyalty isn't all that important any more, but there is a sour taste in the mouth when it's a case of a player having been absent so long while the club stood by him, only for that player to look to move away.