HDTV

Davy

I'm going to get me a new telly with my Christmas and birthday money, but I don't really know what I'm looking for!

They say things like 'Contrast 800:1' and '1000:1'.

What does that mean?

Cheers.

I'm going to get me a new telly with my Christmas and birthday money, but I don't really know what I'm looking for!

They say things like 'Contrast 800:1' and '1000:1'.

What does that mean?

Cheers.

There are no easy answers to your question, as there are no standard definitions for "Contrast" or "Response Times",etc, different manufacturers use different methods of measuring most vital parameters so that they can make their TV look a more attractive option than their competitors.

Best bet is to use this site to get an idea for TV's within your budget (scroll down to the "video components" section and choose LCD or Plasma, depending on what you are looking for. There will be many options and often too much info!)

Also try this review site to get a professional view on a set you might be interested in.

If you are going to watch a lot of football, be aware that unless you use SKY HD, you will usually get a poorer image on a large screen HDTV, than you would on a normal CRT, particularly on ITV's Champions League broadcasts, which are notoriously bad. A 100Hz TV is essential to make the best of any sports broadcasts, and the only manufacturers who have managed to get a reasonably priced100Hz LCD system to work properly are Toshiba, Philips and Sony.

Good Luck.

If tv for non pc work i.e. your not plugging your pc into it response time doesmt matter.

If you want bigger but cheap its SSamsungs all the way but be warned they are little grainy compaired to my Pioneer (but price is way higher)

On dvd player get an upscaler Phillips 5960 is great looks nearly as good as my ps3 playing blue ray hd dvd .(only the onscreen text the comes up in the credits etc. looks little less bold.

You need to use hdmi cable to connect to tv from upscaler dont even bother with scart your wasting your time.

The Phillips is about £60 and dont spend more that £15 on a hmdi cable theres no need as its a digtal signal that it uses .