Was Walter Smith Right To Go With A Strong Scottish Core?

Canadaready

As the season hits this crucial stage, we really have to reflect on Walter's policy of putting forth a Rangers team that is based on home grown talent.

In my mind, the idea is in and of itself something that really defines the team right now. You cannot get away from it. Even with a player like Nacho Novo, I think that we have someone that is Scottish at heart if not through nationality.

How do you think that effects us in Europe? What about in the SPL? It is what we have...is it what we should have?

----

* Remember, this area is premoderated and published on our main page at www.rangersmedia.co.uk so please make your responses reflect this.

I'm not actually that sure it's the case. I think a lot of Smith's signings like Thomson, Whittaker and LM were based on budget. Ditto signing JCD, Cousin and Cuellar. Expensive foreigners are a thing of the past.

If we had a serious hamper of money, I think we'd be bringing in much higher calibre of player, but the brutal fact is Scottish players in general are affordable bar a few exceptions.

As for Scottish attitude, I think Smith himself instils that on the team no matter who the player is.

I don't care if we have 11 Scots or 11 Nepalese monks playing for us as long as we win the league and pump that mob 4 times a season.

I think the Scots we have bought are decent but 10 years ago we wouldn't have looked at them with the exception maybe being Naismith and Thomson but LM and Whittaker wouldn't have got a look in.

I don't care if we have 11 Scots or 11 Nepalese monks playing for us as long as we win the league and pump that mob 4 times a season.

I think the Scots we have bought are decent but 10 years ago we wouldn't have looked at them with the exception maybe being Naismith and Thomson but LM and Whittaker wouldn't have got a look in.

thomson wouldnt have either