Internet speed test

chewbacca

Thanks for your responses FlippinEck and JR (tu)

Tried both of them

Speedtest says I have a download speed of 3057 kb/s and upload 221 kb/s

Gadgetshow says I have a download speed of 410kbps

Hmmm, I'm not the most technology minded. To me, I think that might be slow, what do you think? Its my mothers internet, she doesn't know what she is paying for but its costing £18 a month. Do you think I should start shopping around? We should beable to receive 8MP broadband according to a test I took.

Thanks for your responses FlippinEck and JR (tu)

Tried both of them

Speedtest says I have a download speed of 3057 kb/s and upload 221 kb/s

Gadgetshow says I have a download speed of 410kbps

Hmmm, I'm not the most technology minded. To me, I think that might be slow, what do you think? Its my mothers internet, she doesn't know what she is paying for but its costing £18 a month. Do you think I should start shopping around? We should beable to receive 8MP broadband according to a test I took.

Are you running BitTorrent, downloading or using some remote terminal? They could be eating up part of your bandwidth. Do you use anti-virus software, because some malicious code, such as Trojans, can eat up network resources too?

It also depends on when you test it. At peak time, your top speed will be restricted, a bit like rush hour. Depending on your network, you can loose speed due to the distance you are from the main exchange(not cable).

Try to switch off all other software and run each test independently and only have one browser window open at a time. (Some pages auto-refresh or using AJAX style technology to pass data when you don't expect it.) Then repeat at different times of the day and week. Your highest download speed should be close to that advertised. If not, you can complain-most effectively done with a threat to leave them.