More press run the Ibrox story

Jimenez

RANGERS will become the first club in Britain to build a stadium boasting a retractable roof and hovering pitch.

The new Ibrox – which will cost £280million – will be based on Japan’s Sapporo Dome, Holland’s Amsterdam ArenA and Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium and is part of a £750m village development earmarked for Govan.

When complete in 2012, it will generate millions of pounds every season for the club to buy top players and be more competitive with Premiership clubs in the transfer market.

Supporters will virtually be able to “raise the roof†of the new project, as it will open and close depending on the weather and functions being held inside the auditorium.

The blueprint allows for football and other sports to be played around the clock and with the pitch capable of being rotated in and out of the ground itself, rock concerts and other major events can be hosted without any damage to the grass.

Giant heaters and air conditioning units will ensure spectators will be in a constant comfort zone and matches will never again be cancelled because of under-foot conditions.

Talks are at an advanced stage and funding is in place for the six-star stadium, which would become the second-biggest club ground in the UK after Manchester United’s Old Trafford.

A capacity of around 70,000 is planned – 20,000 higher than the current full house, 10,000 more than at Celtic Park and 17,000 above the limit at Hampden.

Last night an Ibrox insider revealed the project could start within 18 months with a two-year build programme anticipated.

He said: “This is a very exciting and ambitious scheme which will totally revitalise the area.

Not only will it benefit the team, and the club in general, but the whole south side of the city will be transformed.’’

It certainly seems more promising and detailed than the other accounts- especially the "finance in place" bit.

It certainly seems more promising and detailed than the other accounts- especially the "finance in place" bit.

From where though?

The way they reported it, it's like it's a done deal

Lazy journalism or do they know something?

Is this true? Reading through i was filled with diffirent feelings; excitement and an uneasyness. No Ibrox, don't know about this. Anyway, the first thing that i thought was that the facade of the mainstand would need to be an important part of any new plans if indeed there are any. There must be some kind of identity of Ibrox if the unthinkable was to happen. p.s. maybe i'm jumpin' ahead a bit.

Aye Ready

AndrewF

Sounds like different newspapers are just jumping at these 3 "ideas" and putting their own spin on things. To be fair, this one sounds the best so far - how much truth is in it, who knows.

Apart from Jimenez who knwos everything ;)(tu)

Not too sure on having a retractable roof. Atmosphere is never the same!

If and that's a colossal if

this turns out to be the case a retractable roof is something that wouldn't concern me

Anyone ever been in a stadium football or any other sport with a similar type roof?

I've been to Melbourne Park's Rod Laver Arena and the Amsterdam Arena. The Amsterdam Arena was closed and the Laver Arena was open. I found that having no roof gave a better atmosphere and that was only tennis!

this turns out to be the case a retractable roof is something that wouldn't concern me

Anyone ever been in a stadium football or any other sport with a similar type roof?

Watched a couple of baseball games in the sky dome in Toronto - kinda enjoyed it - if it is done right then it should be ok

In detroit they have a roof on their football stadium but the corners have huge window areas so you get the sunlight effect - I like that idea also

Positives would be that we would never have to play in sh*te weather and the pitch would never be cut up like it always gets. It's like a f*ckn bog at the moment!

Watched a couple of baseball games in the sky dome in Toronto - kinda enjoyed it - if it is done right then it should be ok

In detroit they have a roof on their football stadium but the corners have huge window areas so you get the sunlight effect - I like that idea also

Anything like the Emirates Stadium?

Sounds like different newspapers are just jumping at these 3 "ideas" and putting their own spin on things. To be fair, this one sounds the best so far - how much truth is in it, who knows.

I know how to spell 'know' :lol:

Positives would be that we would never have to play in sh*te weather and the pitch would never be cut up like it always gets. It's like a f*ckn bog at the moment!

Yeah, it would favor teams who pass the ball on the deck - ie, us of the past few weeks

Also, surely with the roof closed, there is nowhere for the sound to go, thus it will bounce around and help the atmosphere, not hinder

I know how to spell 'know' :lol:

Ahhh touché....

Wouldn't you need sunshine for that? :craphead:

Yeah, it would favor teams who pass the ball on the deck - ie, us of the past few weeks

Also, surely with the roof closed, there is nowhere for the sound to go, thus it will bounce around and help the atmosphere, not hinder

I was thinking the same thing with the roof closed. It would be noisier as the sound would have nowhere to go. :pipehorse:

I liked the bit that said 6 star get THAT right up ye Celtc!!! :D

Seriously, if this article is to be believed we are at a far more advanced stage than anyone thought. I've never been in a stadium with a retractable roof so cann't comment on that.

I must say that this idea is very appealing. Although I have not been to a stadium with a roof, my initial thoughts are that I have to agree with bauba re the noise being contained and louder.

My thoughts on the Daily Express are that it's been a non-event of a paper for years so not sure how much credence to put in their report but who knows eh?

As I stated in another thread last night, playing at Hampden for up to 2 years doesn't overly concern me, so long as my ST is in the Rangers End!!

Is this true? Reading through i was filled with diffirent feelings; excitement and an uneasyness. No Ibrox, don't know about this. Anyway, the first thing that i thought was that the facade of the mainstand would need to be an important part of any new plans if indeed there are any. There must be some kind of identity of Ibrox if the unthinkable was to happen. p.s. maybe i'm jumpin' ahead a bit.

Aye Ready

AndrewF

In the Sunday Mail - which carried an interview with Murray on this - it stated that the brick facade was the only part to be retained (which they have to do anyway as its listed)

I must say that this idea is very appealing. Although I have not been to a stadium with a roof, my initial thoughts are that I have to agree with bauba re the noise being contained and louder.

Not sure about the safety of a roof with 70,000 Bears roaring below it. ;) Seriously, I can't see how atmosphere would be deminished just because a roof is closed.

Love this to be true. About time we started seeing some ambition again.

But it would look dead fancy :pipe:

In all seriousness..i was sceptical about this story at first but it seems to be gathering steam. Looking promising.

If this was true I would cream my knickers.

Its been to long since we have had something to look forward too.

Its just good to see The Rangers get some good press for a change.

Its also good that we are thinking big for a change.