New Stadium .... New League ?

Ace

Ibrox Stadium is not often packed out to the max for games & to fill 20,000 additional seats seems a stretch while we are entertaining the likes of Gretna on a Wednesday night.

I was wondering, as it has already been alluded to, is there a possibility of a new league format behind this beefy development. Is the Atlantic League, or the Holy Grail .... The Premiership as possibility, as this would seem the most logical solution to filling those extra 20,000 seats every week.

It would put us in a great position if they did come off.

As for attendance it will be a bit like septic park where although the "Gretna on a Wednesday night" game may not be packed out, a lot of those seats are pre bought and paid for through season tickets. The income doesn't change.

70K does seem on the large side for the SPL, so there may be plans somewhere down the line to move to a more attractive league.

I just wonder if it's a coincidence that this talk of expansion has emerged at the same time as we are looking to sell Hutton, perhaps the idea of jam tomorrow will be used to lessen the blow of loosing our most promising player?

While the stadium isn't often completely full, most games are a sell out. The gaps are explained by season ticket holders who don't turn up.

As such, as is the case at Parkhead, while a proposed 70,000 stadium may only be full with the bigger games, the increased capacity would allow us to sell more season tickets and gain back (and increase) the ground lost on Celtic's extra ticketing revenue.

With regard to moving to another league, Celtic are the only Scottish club still actively exploring such a route. Rangers may be doing so privately but any public indications have changed from past years where we encouraged an English move to being happy to remain in Scotland.

From a personal point of view, I think it's inevitable that TV (Sky, Canal+, RTE) will eventually dictate some sort of European league. Having a new stadium in place would lend weight to our chances of gaining a place at that elite table.

One of the reasoons we dont fill Ibrox every week is, with the exception of Celtic,not enough away fans come and take up thier full allocation. However there are 7 - 8 thousand non season ticket holders but tickets ever week to fill the broomilow on weeks Celtic are not there.

Financially if we get an extra 10,000 for say 20 games, 20, 000 extra for tic games and say 3 european games per season that is an extra 10 M in revenue just in ticket sales - a 20% jump from current Turnover - so even if we don't fill it eery week we will still hugely increase our turnover (and thus ability to attract and buy better players) Add to this a few concerts per year - and other special events (Commonwealth games? etc.) then it all makes great sense to me.

It definately would mate.

Dont know if any of you seen it on the news, but some Motorbike show thing is on at Old Trafford and Manchester Untied are getting £7m for the use of there stadium! I remember seeing the figure in an article on there official site.

Im not saying we could get the same but we would obviously get money from things like concerts etc and if this did go ahead we would have one of the best stadiums in Europe!

But one thing i was wondering, in the plans they are talking about knocking down Ibrox, where will we play while they are buildling it?

Hampden?

I thought I heard somewhere that one of the main reasons season books are still on sale through the season is that the seats are say only 1 alone or 2 together, where if you are like me, and likely to be taking one or both of my kids to the game, then obviously I'd be looking at buying season books for 3 seats together? Maybe someone could concur or reject that to clear up my mind

It is 99.9% likely we'd play at Hampden - possibly for as much as 2 seasons.

Distressing, albeit that is not what the thread is about.

However, maybe the prospect of going to Hampden will spur me on to pass my driving test and then be able to drive to the Hampden and park inside.

However, maybe the prospect of going to Hampden will spur me on to pass my driving test and then be able to drive to the Hampden and park inside.

As much as I can sympathise with your own personal circumstances and agree that Hampden is certainly not a great venue for football, if the club decided to rebuild the stadium on the scale debated, we'd have little choice but to play at the National Stadium.

I think the board would be realistic enough to know we couldn't sell out 70k against, well, Gretna on a Wednesday night.

But that's not where they would earn the money on the additional seats - the Champions League would become even more important as would old firm games.

At this years CL prices + inflation by 2012, you would be looking at £40-£45 a ticket for a CL game.

20k x £45 = almost £1million extra revenue times 3 games = £3million.

Same situation right now for this Saturday, we're never going to get 50k in against East Stirling. Some games are obviously much more atttractive.

As much as I can sympathise with your own personal circumstances and agree that Hampden is certainly not a great venue for football, if the club decided to rebuild the stadium on the scale debated, we'd have little choice but to play at the National Stadium.

Agreed, would add an extra headache for fixture organisers with QP playing there as well... But I agree, it's the only viable option I can think of.

I have mixed feelings about a Euro/Atlantic League, or a move to the EPL.

Don't see this as a hint of a move though. I see it as a money making venture (in the long term obv) with UCL and OF games. As J said. (tu)

with a roof and 70000 seats the money making chances and phenomenal. you have football of our own and then

Hire for - Rugby

Big Concerts (take that, muse, etc)

Wrestling (always sells out in minutes) - comes twice a year

UFC

A host of other events

Add onto those events the teabars being open each time - 70000 champions meals = £315,000

Soon the money would roll in

I just wonder if it's a coincidence that this talk of expansion has emerged at the same time as we are looking to sell Hutton, perhaps the idea of jam tomorrow will be used to lessen the blow of loosing our most promising player?

I think this is almost certainly the case by the way.

Was it one or two seasons the tims played there as their eyesore was renovated?

One season

but think about it, it only takes a few months to nail a big wooden structure together.

Was it not cellotaped?

One season

but think about it, it only takes a few months to nail a big wooden structure together.

Was it not cellotaped?

possibly, insulated with bubble wrap also

with a roof and 70000 seats the money making chances and phenomenal. you have football of our own and then

Hire for - Rugby

UFC

A host of other events

Add onto those events the teabars being open each time - 70000 champions meals = £315,000

they want to add your big money boxing matches to that list aswell

Hire for - Rugby

UFC

A host of other events

And the odd "diddy" international that they would usually send to the Mecanno Dome, surely? Or would we not get any gate money from that?

Hire for - Rugby

UFC

A host of other events

And the odd "diddy" international that they would usually send to the Mecanno Dome, surely? Or would we not get any gate money from that?

they would get money for the hire of the stadium

Hire for - Rugby

UFC

A host of other events

they would get money for the hire of the stadium

(tu) Cool... merci ^_^

One season

Was it not cellotaped?

They took a season to build a crucifix?

:pipehorse:

Hire for - Rugby

UFC

A host of other events

also we would be highly likley to get a champions league final or somthing if the plans go ahead, the sfa would have no choice to put our name foward and not just hampden (pricks <_< ) that surley would make alot of money!