New Motherwell Captain announced

Boab

Paul Quinn named club captain

Motherwell have named Paul Quinn as the new captain of the club. The twenty-two year old has been in sensational form for the Steelmen this year having been an ever-present in the Scottish Premier League. He will fill the void left by the tragic death of Phil O'Donnell with Mark McGhee and Scott Leitch both agreeing the full-back was the ideal man to take the band.

Despite his young-age, the Coltness-born player made his first appearance with the 'Well first-team seven seasons ago as an un-used substitute in the final game of the season against Dundee at Fir Park. The club had just plunged into interim-administration and 'Coach', along with numerous others like James McFadden, Stephen Pearson and David Clarkson were all thrust into the limelight.

He went on to make his first full appearance at Celtic Park, coming on as a second half substitute when 'Well were depleted with injuries and suspensions and bookies taking bets on a double figure win for the Hoops. However, Quinn and co more than held their own in a very respectable performance. He made his first start and full debut against Aberdeen at Pittodrie a week later in a battling one-each draw. Despite three of the back four being in their teens, with Quinn just seventeen, the defence stood firm; laying solid foundations for the future.

Since then, Quinn has gone on to make 131 appearances for the Fir Parkers as well as representing Scotland at every youth level up to the Under 21's. He was honoured to be named captain and spoke exclusively to motherwellfc.co.uk, "It's an honour for me and I don't think it has really sunk in yet. It shows how much I am thought of by management and that is the most flattering. It was a surprise but at the same time, a huge privilege to even be in contention for the band never mind the manager officially naming me.

"At this time, given the previous captain, it's a huge responsibility for me and it's something I intend to do to the best of my ability. I have to represent the club everywhere and everything I do - It's very exciting!

"I do think there will be a few eyebrows raised at my appointment but age doesn't come into it for me. Despite being quite young, I've got a bit of experience in the first-team and I've spoken to a few captains of other clubs after being initially told on Wednesday. Some of these guys play for massive clubs and they are still learning despite being mature and experienced players. The manager even told me that Phil was learning new things every year so it's a learning curve for me too. I want to get closer to the fans and closer to the club and use this honour to advance my footballing career."

Looking ahead to the Hearts game, he said, "The Scottish Cup will take care of itself tomorrow. The same things apply tomorrow and for the rest of the season as they always have done. We want to keep our good run going and we don't want to get into a rot of bad results! Everyone at this club is confident and looking forward to the rest of the season and I want to be the first captain of Motherwell in a wee while that lifts a trophy!"

Paul Quinn Celebration vs Rangers Away Header

Paul Quinn named club captain

Motherwell have named Paul Quinn as the new captain of the club. The twenty-two year old has been in sensational form for the Steelmen this year having been an ever-present in the Scottish Premier League. He will fill the void left by the tragic death of Phil O'Donnell with Mark McGhee and Scott Leitch both agreeing the full-back was the ideal man to take the band.

Despite his young-age, the Coltness-born player made his first appearance with the 'Well first-team seven seasons ago as an un-used substitute in the final game of the season against Dundee at Fir Park. The club had just plunged into interim-administration and 'Coach', along with numerous others like James McFadden, Stephen Pearson and David Clarkson were all thrust into the limelight.

He went on to make his first full appearance at Celtic Park, coming on as a second half substitute when 'Well were depleted with injuries and suspensions and bookies taking bets on a double figure win for the Hoops. However, Quinn and co more than held their own in a very respectable performance. He made his first start and full debut against Aberdeen at Pittodrie a week later in a battling one-each draw. Despite three of the back four being in their teens, with Quinn just seventeen, the defence stood firm; laying solid foundations for the future.

Quinn Scoring vs Rangers Story Image

Quinn grabs a goal against Rangers last month!

Since then, Quinn has gone on to make 131 appearances for the Fir Parkers as well as representing Scotland at every youth level up to the Under 21's. He was honoured to be named captain and spoke exclusively to motherwellfc.co.uk, "It's an honour for me and I don't think it has really sunk in yet. It shows how much I am thought of by management and that is the most flattering. It was a surprise but at the same time, a huge privilege to even be in contention for the band never mind the manager officially naming me.

"At this time, given the previous captain, it's a huge responsibility for me and it's something I intend to do to the best of my ability. I have to represent the club everywhere and everything I do - It's very exciting!

"I do think there will be a few eyebrows raised at my appointment but age doesn't come into it for me. Despite being quite young, I've got a bit of experience in the first-team and I've spoken to a few captains of other clubs after being initially told on Wednesday. Some of these guys play for massive clubs and they are still learning despite being mature and experienced players. The manager even told me that Phil was learning new things every year so it's a learning curve for me too. I want to get closer to the fans and closer to the club and use this honour to advance my footballing career."

Looking ahead to the Hearts game, he said, "The Scottish Cup will take care of itself tomorrow. The same things apply tomorrow and for the rest of the season as they always have done. We want to keep our good run going and we don't want to get into a rot of bad results! Everyone at this club is confident and looking forward to the rest of the season and I want to be the first captain of Motherwell in a wee while that lifts a trophy!"