Steve Banks on Rangers interest

Boab

Hearts goalkeeper Steve Banks has told setantasports.com that he would have to think carefully about his future if an offer from Rangers is accepted by the club and that he is flattered by the reported interest.

Walter Smith is looking for a back-up keeper in light of Roy Carroll’s possible switch to Derby County, as the Rangers boss believes more cover is required.

“It’s a flattering offer, it’s such a big club,†Banks told setantasports.com. “I would have to take serious consideration if Hearts accepted a bid for me.â€

Hearts goalkeeping problems have been well documented in recent months as the constant tinkering with the position and team selection has supporters up in arms. Fans have watched on as the Gorgie side have tumbled to second bottom in The SPL.

The former West Ham United keeper has played the last four league games for Hearts and has held talks with Stevie Frail about the situation. He told setantasports.com that Frail made it very clear what he wants him to do.

He said: “Yeah, I’ve spoken to Shaggy [stevie Frail] and I think he would like me to stay. I can’t make any decisions until the club decide and that’s entirely up to them what they decide and then I can start to make my decision with my family.

“I love it at Hearts, I love the fans, I have a very good rapport with them and I’m very happy at Hearts and I’ve got no qualms about staying here.

“I’m enjoying my time and as I said, I’ve had a great time since I’ve been here and they have given me some very good highs and I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t continue.â€

The Hearts shot-stopper has found himself in limbo for the moment, as the move depends on whether Carroll signs for Derby or not. Carroll was reportedly at Pride Park on Thursday to discuss terms, however, Banks will just have to play the waiting game for the moment.

He added: “I need to speak to Rangers and see what their thoughts are and all I can do is make decisions once I know the full facts.

“Once I know those facts, then I can sit down and discuss them and come the best decision for me.â€

Banks spent a number of years as understudy to Craig Gordon at Tynecastle and does not see a problem with being back-up to Allan McGregor at Rangers.

He added: “I did it for a couple of years under Craig Gordon and enjoyed my time doing that and Jim Stewart [Goalkeeping coach] was obviously here then as well.

“To do it under Allan McGregor, who I rate highly, I don’t think it would be a problem.

“He’s a very good Scottish goalkeeper and hopefully I could help him along in his career as well.â€

Banks will now wait and see what happens regarding the interest from Rangers and if an offer does materialise, he hopes it is not just a short-term deal.

Banks added: “Well obviously, the longer the better. I think I can play for many years to come, so if that’s the case, the longer the better and we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.â€

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News...n-Rangers-link/