Scottish Players

Obviously we are nearing the climax of a season that was seen by the majoriy as the season where we steadied the ship and got back to basics. We have more than achieved this and now we are all hoping and to an extent expecting Walter to make transfers that will move us on a level and, with respect to our current crop, that generally means signing more high calibre players this summer.

However I would not be suprised if Walter will also be casting his eye towards players who can come in a "do a job" so to speak and that IMO means we might easily see a a few more of the Scottish boys coming in.

But a point that should be mentioned is that whenever we are linked to one of them opinon seems to be divided with regards to their ability, with some questioning if they are good enough to play for Rangers.

We seen this happen with Thomson, Weir, McCulloch and Dailly and yet all have gone on to be successful for us.

We seem to forget that Walter knows them pretty well: their strengths, weaknesses and what they can offer the team both on and off the pitch. So basically what I'm asking is if we opt to go for say a less glamorous name, perhaps an Anderson, Naysmith, Fletcher or a Quashie in the Summer are we going to be less critical than we have been in the past, especially given the calibre of signings we are expecting Rangers to make this Summer?

In general most bears were happy when Thomson signed.

Weir & Dailly were questioned over their age which is perfectly understandable

I don't see any Scottish lads out there that would improve our squad appart from maybe Fletcher who'll cost £3million +.....we could do better looking elsewhere in my opinion

Ageist Loyal ;)

Edit : Quashie doh

I don't want anymore Scots. There are none out there who are good enough. Your Naysmith's, Anderson's, Quashie's, Teale's, Miller's etc are pish.

Darren Fletcher is no better than what we have, infact he is worse and Steven Fletcher is over-rated by £3m.

We simply have to look for and sign better!

I think that if the players we signed in Scotland had names lime ... Weir-io, Thomson-ino etc then some fans would believe they are world beaters.

It's about perception and the overriding perception is that players from abroad are better than homegrown.

However, players from abroad often don't know about the style of football played in Scotland and a lot of them can't hack it.

The SPL is our bread & butter and we need players who can cope with the hustle & bustle of our league but can also cope with the step up to the European stage too.

For squad players I would be happy to see the likes of Reynolds and Barr if the likes of Gow and Broadfoot were to leave but it's quality we need just now and we won't find the level of players needed in the SPL.

I think that if the players we signed in Scotland had names lime ... Weir-io, Thomson-ino etc then some fans wold believe they are world beaters.

It's about perception and the overriding perception is that players from abroad are better than homegrown.

However, players from abroad often don't know about the style of football played in Scotland and a lot of them can't hack it.

The SPL is oput bread & butter and we need players who can cope with the hustle & bustle of our league but can also cope with the step up to a European stage too.

Don't talk shite, what Scottish players we have here already are better than what is on offer outside perhaps Darren Fletcher & that prick who has just signed for Birmingham (forgot his name) :blush:

The only other Scottish player I'd take is Sean Maloney

Nothing to do with a romanticized mentality that foreign players are better than us

Edit : Quashie doh

I'm not saying I personally want to sign him and yes I'm playing Devil's Advocate here but rewind to January and you would have seen similar posts to this with the name Dailly insted of Quashie.

Would you see them now?

Nope and I'll concede that, though I would say I wasn't to overly critical when we signed Dailly.

Qushie really would be a terrible signing

We have to look past these kind of players now. Your Dailly's and Weir's have been terrific but it's time to move on. We aren't going to get any better if we just fill the side with players who will do a job, nothing more, nothingless.

The lack of quality is there to be seen and winning without it wont always last.

I don't want any more Scots - not because they don't bring any glamour or they aren't big names - but simply because I don't think there are many left that are good enough!

I would only take a couple of Scottish players - Fletcher(x2), McFadden and Gordon. But I wouldn't pay the asking price for any of them.

If there is a player out there who I, and Walter Smith, believe is good enough then I would be happy to sign them. Nationality is irrelevant.

How has been McCulloch been successful? I'm asking seriously because as much as i keep trying to when watching i'm at a loss to see what this guy contributes to the team.

I agree but he has somehow managed 10 assists in all competitions though most of them were in his 1st 2 months, these days he tends to fade faster than a dishwasher tablet/disappear better than an a camalflage army man during a game.

Personally speaking i believe Darren Fletcher is one of the most over-rated players i have seen. Totally my own opinion (tin hat on).

I think he's over-rated aswell, but if he was going on a freebie then I would take him.

How has been McCulloch been successful? I'm asking seriously because as much as i keep trying to when watching i'm at a loss to see what this guy contributes to the team.

I agree but he has somehow managed 10 assists in all competitions though most of them were in his 1st 2 months, these days he tends to fade faster than a dishwasher tablet/disappear better than an a camalflage army man during a game.

Love the dishwasher metaphor!

Love the dishwasher metaphor!

Cheers :blush: Couldn't decide between the two :unsure:(tu)

i think i will critise untill we bring in our own scotch lads and not just buy them....we still havent seen anything from murray park yet....yes, mcculloch, daily, thomson etc.... are scottish but we had to buy them....so i dont think they count in my opinion....

once 1 or 2 lads start to come on from the bench and start i think we should critise....

I'm not bothered what nationality the person we sign is! As long as decent, and he fits in with Walters plans then he'll (whoever that may be) will do

i think i will critise untill we bring in our own scotch lads and not just buy them....we still havent seen anything from murray park yet....yes, mcculloch, daily, thomson etc.... are scottish but we had to buy them....so i dont think they count in my opinion....

once 1 or 2 lads start to come on from the bench and start i think we should critise....

MurPark: Hutton, Burke, Smith, Adam and McGregor who are with us. Fergie is also home grown (but before Murray Park). And a good number of players plying their trade elsewhere taht we got fees for - and with more coming through. So I think you are WRONG to say we have got NOTHING from Murra Park yet!

MurPark: Hutton, Burke, Smith, Adam and McGregor who are with us. Fergie is also home grown (but before Murray Park). And a good number of players plying their trade elsewhere taht we got fees for - and with more coming through. So I think you are WRONG to say we have got NOTHING from Murra Park yet!

Murray Park is not to produce youth, it is a training facility. So regardless how state of the art it is, it does not mean that we will bring through top youth.

I could play in the Camp Nou - but I'd still be pish.