Anti football/defensive football

Danny

I don't think any of us in our right minds would deny we're not exactly Barcelona (well, the old Barcelona anyway) in the way we play.

We don't produce fluid flowing football, we attack purely at our discretion, and we do put 10 men (sometimes 11) behind the ball and defend with our lives.

You had bitter Prandelli saying we didn't deserve to win and we renounced the ability to play.

He's probably right in a sense - we didn't play good football and from the purist's point of view, Fiorentina probably deserved to win.

BUT.....

1: They did NOT put the ball in the back of the net despite a number of gilt edge chances - Vieri missed from 1 yard and a half volley from 6, and Ujfalusi put it over from about 8 yards. They DEFINITELY had chances and didn't take them - we get the blame for that, do we?

2: If they weren't good enough to break down their opponents, is that our fault? Damn right it's our fault! We should proudly take the blame for the fact our defending was too good for them to crack.

This 'boring anti football' might not be pretty, but it works - and at the end of the day few teams can beat us when we get it right. Who's in the Uefa Cup final? Us.

I also guarantee you if Fio had got through they'd have credited us with resolute defending and making it very hard for them.

Just like with Barca - after they drew with us 0-0 Messi bitched at us. We played the same way in the Camp Nou but they won - didn't see them moan too much that time did you?

Yep, I agree.

The whole 'Rangers got pumelled in every game so far' is a bit of a myth to me. The Bremen away game apart, I can't remember our keeper having to make more saves than the other teams keeper.

Play to your strengths I say, and in Europe, we are far better defensively than we can be offensively.

Fiorentina, their fans, and the Italian media have nothing to complain to us about regarding "anti-football", the Italians invented the bloody thing. We just beat an Italian mob at their own game, and we're in the UEFA cup final. GIRUY.

Yep, I agree.

The whole 'Rangers got pumelled in every game so far' is a bit of a myth to me. The Bremen away game apart, I can't remember our keeper having to make more saves than the other teams keeper.

Play to your strengths I say, and in Europe, we are far better defensively than we can be offensively.

I don't recall Alexander having one serious save to make tbh. A few rudimentary catches. That was about it.

The only save in the whole game was Frey's from Whittaker iirc.

Fiorentina, their fans, and the Italian media have nothing to complain to us about regarding "anti-football", the Italians invented the bloody thing. We just beat an Italian mob at their own game, and we're in the UEFA cup final. GIRUY.

:lol:

Deliciously put m8.

Catenaccio eat your heart out :)

I said in another thread, if the other time cannot break us down it's their own fault.

We didn't play illegally so it's the other team's problem to break us down. We face the same problem week in week out in the SPL and we get on with it. It's a tactic, our tactics won, end of story.

If another team is so great they should be able to break us down.

I think it was one of the itv4 people that said, after being asked "surely rangers are gonna collapse at one point, they cant continue to play like that!" or something along those lines, and he said something along the lines of why the hell would you change the system thats got you to the UEFA cup final, just because it looks better.

Its not about looking good right now, Last season we were happy to clinch 2nd spot in the SPL!

WIN and WIN UGLY!

Yep, I agree.

I don't recall Alexander having one serious save to make tbh. A few rudimentary catches. That was about it.

That save from Mutu wasn't bad. The one where he got slightly hurt when the forward followed up.

Yep, I agree.

That save from Mutu wasn't bad. The one where he got slightly hurt when the forward followed up.

Ah yeah - well remembered.

Smith sets those pride-driven players out to get results and it's been spectacularly successful. FFS, we had Whittaker at left wing last night!

I am immensely proud of The Rangers (as ever) and love them all the more for the joy they have brought into my life after those dark days under Le Guen.

To those who envy the success and don't enjoy (or understand) Walt making the best of what he has?

GIRFUY :rangers:

Nothing necessarily wrong with defensive football. I do wish we would show more passing ability when counter attacking though.

Absolutely right.

Defending is part of football - the Italians should know that better than anyone.

On the night Gers defence was superior to Fiorentina's attack. They weren't good enough to beat us over the 2 legs, end of.

:bouncy: :rangers: :bouncy:

Prandelli can GIRFUYYWC, sour grapes and a total lack of class.

What about his players trying to con the Referee, that's called cheating. Hope he gets the boot.

If they had won, WS like the man he is would have heaped praise on them, he still did last night and we won.

We had a depleted team, running on near empty and your team still couldn't break us down.

The point might be more valid, if it came from somebody who wasn't Italian FFS.

Prandelli you are a sore loser and have no class.

I worte this after we played Breman and think it's worth posting again:

"Defending Is An Important Part Of The Game Too"

This is a direct quote from a Werder fan that my dad had a conversation with in Germany. The conversation in question came about before the game, over what I am told were almost ridicilously sized bottles of becks, after my dad had said that we weren't the best attacking team in the world.

The fan's reply was simple: "Defending is an important part of the game too, and your side are very good at it"

I don't mean to sound stereotypical here but over the years German teams have generally been known to be organised and very hard too beat. Perhaps being a German he appreciated what a disiciplined, almost regimental like unit we are when it comes to defending, or perhaps he just had broader horizons when it comes to appreciating football.

We constatly hear people talking about our supposed "anti football" This isn't just coming from fans of our opponents, or even players of other clubs, particularly a certain Leo Messi, it's also coming from sections of our own support.

In all honesty how can you blame them in a day where almost all the attention is on the attack minded football icons: Guys who don't only lead a luxurious lifestyle off the pitch, but also on it. Items like customised football boots, built specificaly to help and benefit the more attack minded player and underwear to keep players warm on those awful cold winter nights are as much a rage as the expensive motor and bleach blonde perm-a-tan WAG are now a days among players.

With all the attention they get, do you expect us to be talking about how great a defender say a Terry, Cannavaro or even a Puyol was in 10/20 years time? These players, players who seem to value the old "blood sweat and tears" ethic of football have very much taken a back seat to their more luxurious attacking team mates and are now almost a dying breed.

Anyway to get back on to the point I was initially going to make: I'll be the first to admit that at the moment Rangers are not the most pleasing on the eye, and sometimes it is difficult and frustrating to watch, but what we lack in luxurious attacking flair, we more than make up with pure grit, determination and that blood, sweat and tears ethic I previouly mentioned.

To coin a phrase, we all seem to have almost forgotten that "defending is an art" and as this Werder fan said to my dad it is still a very important part, albeit a vastly under rated part of football and personally I think we deserve a hell of a lot more respect than we get from the "know it alls" of the football world.

You know the ones who will constantly moan and groan about how the old values of football are dying and being sold down the river by money mad chairmen, over paid prima donnas and multi nationals looking for an extra way to make money, and then go on to praise the latest hottest talent with his huge bank balance, cutomised boots, diamond earrings, and general whining menatality.

As they say "It's a funny world"

DadoBringBackTheBandage

I couldn't give a toss what anybody says about our style of football, f**k them all, it is after all up to them and their "superior squads and tactics" to break us down and score against us; that they can't score against us says more about their inadequacies than it does about ours.

Hasn't Walter learnt well? Remember before when he had the likes of Gazza and Laudrup and we would go to places like Amsterdam, Turin and Athens have a go and end up getting humped? Now he plays to our strengths and we are a lot more a creditable outfit now in European terms than we have been for a long time. I personally would hate another result like that time when we played Grasshoppers of Zurich.

A massive thank you to all the players and staff of Rangers FC. :rangers: :rangers: :rangers: :rangers: :rangers: :rangers: :rangers: :rangers: :rangers:

Gie us the quadruple please!!

(tu) Agreed and we didn't resort to the cheating, including the pressure put on the ref every time Cousin went near one of them.

I think that WS's tactics are the "percentage" way to play with our current squad and they put their heart and soul into that system. All that is missing is a central midfield who takes control, a speedy wing man and, perhaps, a taller version of JCD and we would have a very good team on our hands. I can see that is the way that Walter will go next season and we will play some better football then.

WATP

Guest Andypendek

excellent call from timmy on RR tonight: ok. so the other team are stronger, fresher and better. are rangers supposed to come out and get hammered, or are they supposed to try all they can to get a result?

excellent call from timmy on RR tonight: ok. so the other team are stronger, fresher and better. are rangers supposed to come out and get hammered, or are they supposed to try all they can to get a result?

If a timmy said that we can officially say not all tims are complete fucking morons!