How the hell did we capture Cuellar?

Danny

Yup, another King Carlos thread :lol:

When we played Osasuna, the only thing we really remembered about it was the fact we lost. Walter Smith remembered something else - an opponent he had been thoroughly impressed by and who the majority of us didn't notice. That was of course Carlos Cuellar, a fairly unknown Spaniard playing in the mid-table ranks of a decent Spanish side but not one of any great history or illustrious pedigree.

This Spaniard, 25 years old, had zero caps to his name - and hadn't been on the radar of any of the top Spanish sides like Valencia, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Indeed, he was a player without any kind of reputation at all. The only transfer speculation allegedly linked him to Manchester Utd - but that ended up being idle speculation with no end product.

So Walter Smith, eagle eyed, made a £2M bid for him which was rejected and it eventually went to around £2.7M before the protracted signing was concluded.

And domestically he's been a sensation. Clydesdale POTY in his first season - with a potential Writers' award still to come - Carlos Cuellar is proving himself to be one of the best defenders our league has ever seen.

Extraordinarily he's translating it spectacularly to the European stage. In only one European match this entire season has he looked a little shaky, and that was RSB. Every other game, CL included, he's been utterly top drawer. World class, tbh - if you do it at that level comfortably against the likes of the sides we've faced, you surely have the right to that tag.

So, it begs the damn question; why has this sensational defender not been stolen years ago by a big Spanish side, and why has he never been capped for his country?

I am not ungrateful by any means - the longer he stays here the better - and he is wiping out the memory of Hutton by, if it were possible, being even more incredible for us than Hutton was. He's slowly becoming my new modern day Rangers hero, and it's not often I say that about a player.

Just how the hell were we so lucky to hit the jackpot with this guy, and how did no other clubs thieve him ages ago?

Absolutely amazing.

I still cant believe where we managed to dig him up from.

Smith gets a lot of stick sometimes for his transfer market dealings but really..... that was a complete masterstroke.

Guest Andypendek

is it perhaps a case of the big teams dominate la liga so much they don't need a 'nuts and bolts' type player like carlos and go for poncey, frustrated liberos like puyol?

whatever the reason i for one am massively grateful.

defenders tend to mature at a slightly older age in football terms, perhaps he was just approaching this point in his career and so wasn't noticed, but WS saw what was coming in our games against them and snapped him up.... the rest is history.

What is certain is that it was an incredible find and an absolute masterstroke.

The best part is the sounds cuellar is making about loving life here and wanting to stay, he is already a hero and his is fast approaching legend status already despite only being here a short time. He has taken the club to his heart and of course the way he has played we were always going to take him to our hearts.

He probably didn't have his own song before - defenders rarely do - so no wonder he is loving his time here, lets hope that time goes on and on.

he is phenomenal, a truely wonderful defender.

the sad thing is we will probably lose him for about £6-8M

Don't make me greet :(

I can't contemplate us losing him. I'd be devastated - way worse than I was after Hutton.

Don't make me greet :(

I can't contemplate us losing him. I'd be devastated - way worse than I was after Hutton.

its going to happen though, no 2 ways about it.

cuellar has said he wants to see out his contract but it wont come down to him at the end of the day

The likes of Real Madrid would rather spend big money on pish than players like Cuellar. Pepe for 30m euros is a prime example.

Trevor Steven was interviewed on SSN earlier today and he said Rangers and John Brown especially had watched Carlos Cuellar even before we were drawn against Osasuna.

Guest Andypendek

we have to realistic and enjoy him while he lasts - at more one more season, more likely away next new year...unless you are a vialli type, with a family fortune, you simply can't turn down someone who is offering you 50k a week for 4 years. that's your family, your children and your grandchildren freed from money worries...no one in their right mind would say no.

If Rangers accept anything like that then Bain and Murray should be shot. Man U are supposidly chasing Porto's RB Boswinga, he's not any better than Hutton and Man U are set to offer £15m, Porto want over £22m. If teams want Cuellar then we have to stand up to them and hold them to ransom or he's going nowhere!

They'd better have guns if they want to take him off us for that price!

If we want to move forward then we have to keep a hold of him. We should be looking for quality to partner him instead of selling him, Murray and Bain must have the same ambitions.

So am I right in thinking, if we buy a sh!te player it's Martin Bain's fault.

We buy a genius and Bain doesn't even get a mention.

:lol:

I loved the fact that Wattie said today that the people he was happiest for after last night was Murray and Bain - because he actually recognises the work that both put in to get the club to where they are today. And he is more than happy, in fact insistant, to acknowledge the work Bain did to help him assemble this squad in the last eighteen months.

When we played Osasuna, the only thing we really remembered about it was the fact we lost. Walter Smith remembered something else - an opponent he had been thoroughly impressed by and who the majority of us didn't notice. That was of course Carlos Cuellar, a fairly unknown Spaniard playing in the mid-table ranks of a decent Spanish side but not one of any great history or illustrious pedigree.

This Spaniard, 25 years old, had zero caps to his name - and hadn't been on the radar of any of the top Spanish sides like Valencia, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Indeed, he was a player without any kind of reputation at all. The only transfer speculation allegedly linked him to Manchester Utd - but that ended up being idle speculation with no end product.

So Walter Smith, eagle eyed, made a £2M bid for him which was rejected and it eventually went to around £2.7M before the protracted signing was concluded.

And domestically he's been a sensation. Clydesdale POTY in his first season - with a potential Writers' award still to come - Carlos Cuellar is proving himself to be one of the best defenders our league has ever seen.

Extraordinarily he's translating it spectacularly to the European stage. In only one European match this entire season has he looked a little shaky, and that was RSB. Every other game, CL included, he's been utterly top drawer. World class, tbh - if you do it at that level comfortably against the likes of the sides we've faced, you surely have the right to that tag.

So, it begs the damn question; why has this sensational defender not been stolen years ago by a big Spanish side, and why has he never been capped for his country?

I am not ungrateful by any means - the longer he stays here the better - and he is wiping out the memory of Hutton by, if it were possible, being even more incredible for us than Hutton was. He's slowly becoming my new modern day Rangers hero, and it's not often I say that about a player.

Just how the hell were we so lucky to hit the jackpot with this guy, and how did no other clubs thieve him ages ago?

Absolutely amazing.

The top spanish teams only seem to rate a defender if he can dribble the ball out of there 18yard box, thats not what king Carlos is good at and thats the reason he hasnt been snapped up by madrid or barca.

If i remember correctly Osasuna had quite a few defenders on there books at the time. I think they changed most of there defence in the 2nd leg against us but looked no worse for it. Be interesting to see how Cuellars form for us is being talked about in the Spanish media.

was there not a story that Man Utd were looking at Cuellar aswell when we signed him??

Also , did King Cuellar not say he wanted to play for rangers after having played at ibrox with ossasuna??

The way Cuellar behaved when we made our offer was amazing - wanted to come to Rangers but at no time made any kind of threats towards Ossasuna about refusing to train or play and behaved with the greatest respect towards his former club! And unlike alot of players who come to scotland I have never read a single quote from Cuellar saying I want to someday play in EPL , Seria A or La liga(for REAL or Barca) ! To me he seems the kind of guy who plays from the heart and his heart is now truely Blue , Red and White! Also , dont know who is agent is but there havent even been any quotes from him saying clubs are interested etc.

I honestly think cuellar is the kind of player who wants to finish his career with a house full of medals rather than an inflated bank balance !!! Maybe I am wrong but I think Cuellar will be with us for many , many years simply because he is happy to be here and realises himself that only a few years ago he was playing in the 2nd division in Spain and now he is on the verge of winning 4 honours in 1 year and appreciates a support that truely loves him and that many years from now he will be a legend who will never be forgotten and not just another former pro footballer!! what I mean by that is there have been many great players to play for many clubs but how many get the same place in history that we give our players - will anyone at Barca be talking about Ronaldhino in a few years or Ronaldo at AC , or Raul at Real , does anyone at Man U or Real give a toss about beckham anymore ?? That is what makes us more than a club - we honouor the service our great players give us and we pass that on to the generations that come and 25 years from now every rangers supporter will still know who Carlos Cuellar was ... christ in 25 years we will still know who Jim Baxter was and how great a player he was long after the last man to see him play has daisies growing out his arse ... simply because we do not forget our loyal and great servants like most other clubs!

cuellar has said he wants to see out his contract but it wont come down to him at the end of the day

Actually it will, just like Hutton. If he wants to see out his contract, he can.

Actually it will, just like Hutton. If he wants to see out his contract, he can.

EXACTLY!

I've agreed with you twice today.

The horror!

Indeed, Hutton could have stayed if he had wanted - but the pound signs were too much and I guess his bosses persuaded him to move.

But it was ultimately his choice.

You don't HAVE to leave if you don't want to.

Absolutely amazing.

The top spanish teams only seem to rate a defender if he can dribble the ball out of there 18yard box, thats not what king Carlos is good at and thats the reason he hasnt been snapped up by madrid or barca.

Wrong though - I've seen him advancing forward many times tbh. He's extremely comfortable on the ball.

Absolutely amazing.

After the first game against Osasuna at Ibrox I am sure all Walter had to do was ask Chris Boyd what he thought of the gig centre back he was playing against because Boyd never got a sniff. I remember watching Carlos win everything on the ground and in the air, he was immense. I hope he likes life at Ibrox and wants to stay for another couple of years.

Absolutely amazing.

Danny, absolutely superb post mate. You hit the nail on the head with this line imho...

"When we played Osasuna, the only thing we really remembered about it was the fact we lost. Walter Smith remembered something else ... "

Too true. Wattie's best every signing?