European success - Walter and Ally

Danny

I've just been thinking about this - is our European success somehow down to the fact it's Walter and Ally and not Walter and Archie?

In the 90s, bar 92/93 our displays in Europe were chronic - but with Ally as his assistant, it seems we have a belief, energy and sheer graft that we never used to in Europe under Walter.

Has Ally's passion compounded Walter's and given us a continental edge we previously lacked with Knox as assistant?

Hard on Archie, Danny. I think it is a combination of Walter's learning tactics when manager of Scotland plus the advice of Ally AND Kenny.

Walter had to make good with a less talented Scottish squad and played his hand to suit. Doing the same thing now with Rangers.

Hard on Archie, Danny. I think it is a combination of Walter's learning tactics when manager of Scotland plus the advice of Ally AND Kenny.

Walter had to make good with a less talented Scottish squad and played his hand to suit. Doing the same thing now with Rangers.

So you're saying it's Ally and Kenny...?

And you're right, we have a less talented Rangers now than we did under 9IAR - so why is this one doing better than that one did?

Not sure.. but perhaps it IS because we are less talented? We have to play as a unit....and defend. We need to count on each other and not rely on individual brilliance which might not be there on the day... But wtf do I know? lol

The GERS are playing just like Scotland does.

This is not down to Ally, although he has been a very good influence on our players. I believe that Walter has gained a wealth of knowledge and experince since he left Rangers the first time and has maybe realised that as a Scottish team you cannot compete blow-for-blow with teams fom the Continent due to our inferior technical ability, we just get picked off.

Now of course we had so much better attacking options during Walter's first spell and therefore he played to the strengths of the team, just like the current side. It will be interesting to see if Walter changes these tactics next season when fresh faces come in and the team has more quality going forward. Then you should be able to jusge if Walter is just playing to the strengths of the team or has changed his philosophy to a more defensive approach.

So you're saying it's Ally and Kenny...?

And you're right, we have a less talented Rangers now than we did under 9IAR - so why is this one doing better than that one did?

No - in my opinion its due mostly to two things:

1. Walter time off and spell with Scotland when he had a chance to see top European sides play and their style of play and how they could defend by use of formations and tactics - he learned a lot doing that.

2. Forced pragmatism when having a rather shallow player pool with Scotland.

He then used that knowledge with Rangers and had some other good input from Ally and Kenny, but mainly 1 and 2 above.