Davis on Ally's pre game pep talk!

Boab

Davis has still got it Ally to play for

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Ally McCoist couldn't have achieved much more to receive the adulation of the Rangers fans as a player.

That is except for firing his beloved Teddy Bears to a European final.

The Scotland legend fell at the final hurdle of the Champions League in 1993 and he's never forgotten the pain it caused then and still does to this day.

That's why McCoist, now Walter Smith's number two at Ibrox, gave an emotional rallying call to the class of 2008 before they embarked on their own piece of history.

Thursday night's dramatic penalty shoot-on win over Fiorentina secured Rangers' first European final since their Cup Winners' Cup appearance in 1967 - and McCoist will finally get his piece of the European pie against Zenit St Petersburg.

Northern Ireland ace Steven Davis, a hero of Rangers UEFA Cup run, has revealed an impromptu pep-talk before the kick-off in Florence from McCoist went a long way to making sure the Ligtht Blues would give themselves the ammunition to become legends instead of looking back on what might have been.

"Coisty spoke to us all in the dressing room before the match about his regret at missing out on the Champions League final and told us not to suffer the same," said the Cullybackey man.

"He told us he had only one chance in 15 years at Rangers and we had to grab this opportunity while it was there.

"He's been taking a bit of stick for crying after the match but it just shows you what it meant to him and there were a few players in tears too.

"Steven Whittaker and Sasa Papac broke down after the final whistle and for Sasa, in particular, it was incredible.

"We call him Casper the friendly Ghost because he shows no emotion, at passport control Ian Durrant even asks them to look for his pulse, never mind his picture!

"It just shows you what a massive achievement it has been for this club to make it to the final though.

"I may only be 23 but this is definitely the biggest achievement of my career so far; I wouldn't have a clue what to compare it to.

"At the minute we are all buzzing but I don't think I will fully appreciate what we have managed to do until it is all over.

"Every player wants to finish their career and look back on winning trophies.

"Rangers gave me the opportunity to do that and hopefully I will have more than the CIS Cup medal to look at come the end of the season."

Davis was forced to watch the spot-kicks unfold from the bench after he was substituted late in the game for eventual hero Nacho Novo.

But the former Aston Villa man swapped his midfield role for one of cheerleader for extra-time and penalties.

He added: "It's awful when you're on the sidelines because you still kick every ball but can't influence what is happening.

"It was just a matter of keeping the fingers crossed and believing the boys could do it.

"I'm sure a lot of people thought we had no hope and when Daniel Cousin was sent off I probably thought we were up against it myself.

"He was a great out ball for us and took the pressure off for a few minutes.

"But there is a great belief about the club at the minute and we feel we can win every game we play even if we do lose someone to an injury or red card.

"People say Fiorentina had a lot of the ball, which is fair enough, but they didn't create too many chances and Neil Alexander was equal to anything they did throw at us.

"And Carlos Cuellar was outstanding. The ball just seems attracted to him and together with David Weir, they have been influential in our run to the final.

"But all credit to some of the Fiorentina players too, because they waited at the end of the tunnel for 10 minutes while we were out on the pitch celebrating with our supporters just to shake our hands.

"But before the UEFA Cup final we have vital SPL games and we have to stay focused for them."

While the blue half of Glasgow will descend on Manchester for the final on May 14, Davis will have a few familiar faces in the crowd cheering him on.

"I've received loads of texts to congratulate me and a few ticket requests we thrown in too.

"I know some family and friends from home will be coming over and my international team-mates David Healy and Warren Feeney will be there too.

"My tickets requests are in already and hopefully as many of my mates will be there as possible for the biggest game of my life."

After a night of such intensity, it was back down to earth with a bump yesterday.

While the thousands of Rangers supporters partied the night away in Italy, the players boarded a flight straight back to Glasgow and Davis didn't get home until 5.00am.

"The lads would have loved to enjoy the victory as much as the fans but we came straight home with only water to drink on the plane.

"Then there was some light work on Friday and an ice bath thrown in for good measure.

"It would be easy to get carried away with Thursday but the job is far from over.

"Of course we'll be thinking about the final but after going through against the odds on Thursday, I can't wait just to play again."

Rangers, who trail Celtic by five points at the top of the SPL, face a gruelling fixture schedule between now at the extended end of the season.

But Davis won't be complaining about the amount of games - he can't wait to play again after the buzz of their Italian job.

"We play Hibs on Sunday and that game is every bit as important as Thursday night," he said.

"The league is our bread and butter and when I signed for Rangers it was the one trophy I wanted to win.

"We will suffer from tiredness but we're only playing so many games because we've been successful and I'm not going to complain about that.

"Thankfully the manager likes to keep everything fresh and he picks each team for each individual match.

"That has been working so far and there's no reason why it can't do the trick until the end of the season. The title race is wide open after Celtic beat us twice recently but everything is still in our hands and that's all we can ask for."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...icle3665440.ece

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Ally McCoist couldn't have achieved much more to receive the adulation of the Rangers fans as a player.

The Scotland legend fell at the final hurdle of the Champions League in 1993 and he's never forgotten the pain it caused then and still does to this day.

That's why McCoist, now Walter Smith's number two at Ibrox, gave an emotional rallying call to the class of 2008 before they embarked on their own piece of history.

Thursday night's dramatic penalty shoot-on win over Fiorentina secured Rangers' first European final since their Cup Winners' Cup appearance in 1967 - and McCoist will finally get his piece of the European pie against Zenit St Petersburg.

Northern Ireland ace Steven Davis, a hero of Rangers UEFA Cup run, has revealed an impromptu pep-talk before the kick-off in Florence from McCoist went a long way to making sure the Ligtht Blues would give themselves the ammunition to become legends instead of looking back on what might have been.

"Coisty spoke to us all in the dressing room before the match about his regret at missing out on the Champions League final and told us not to suffer the same," said the Cullybackey man.

"He told us he had only one chance in 15 years at Rangers and we had to grab this opportunity while it was there.

"He's been taking a bit of stick for crying after the match but it just shows you what it meant to him and there were a few players in tears too.

"Steven Whittaker and Sasa Papac broke down after the final whistle and for Sasa, in particular, it was incredible. :rangers:

"We call him Casper the friendly Ghost because he shows no emotion, at passport control Ian Durrant even asks them to look for his pulse, never mind his picture!

"It just shows you what a massive achievement it has been for this club to make it to the final though.

"I may only be 23 but this is definitely the biggest achievement of my career so far; I wouldn't have a clue what to compare it to.

"At the minute we are all buzzing but I don't think I will fully appreciate what we have managed to do until it is all over.

"Rangers gave me the opportunity to do that and hopefully I will have more than the CIS Cup medal to look at come the end of the season."

Davis was forced to watch the spot-kicks unfold from the bench after he was substituted late in the game for eventual hero Nacho Novo.

But the former Aston Villa man swapped his midfield role for one of cheerleader for extra-time and penalties.

He added: "It's awful when you're on the sidelines because you still kick every ball but can't influence what is happening.

"It was just a matter of keeping the fingers crossed and believing the boys could do it.

"I'm sure a lot of people thought we had no hope and when Daniel Cousin was sent off I probably thought we were up against it myself.

"But there is a great belief about the club at the minute and we feel we can win every game we play even if we do lose someone to an injury or red card.

"People say Fiorentina had a lot of the ball, which is fair enough, but they didn't create too many chances and Neil Alexander was equal to anything they did throw at us.

"And Carlos Cuellar was outstanding. The ball just seems attracted to him and together with David Weir, they have been influential in our run to the final.

"But all credit to some of the Fiorentina players too, because they waited at the end of the tunnel for 10 minutes while we were out on the pitch celebrating with our supporters just to shake our hands.

"But before the UEFA Cup final we have vital SPL games and we have to stay focused for them."

While the blue half of Glasgow will descend on Manchester for the final on May 14, Davis will have a few familiar faces in the crowd cheering him on.

"I've received loads of texts to congratulate me and a few ticket requests we thrown in too.

"I know some family and friends from home will be coming over and my international team-mates David Healy and Warren Feeney will be there too.

"My tickets requests are in already and hopefully as many of my mates will be there as possible for the biggest game of my life."

After a night of such intensity, it was back down to earth with a bump yesterday.

While the thousands of Rangers supporters partied the night away in Italy, the players boarded a flight straight back to Glasgow and Davis didn't get home until 5.00am.

"The lads would have loved to enjoy the victory as much as the fans but we came straight home with only water to drink on the plane.

"Then there was some light work on Friday and an ice bath thrown in for good measure.

"It would be easy to get carried away with Thursday but the job is far from over.

"Of course we'll be thinking about the final but after going through against the odds on Thursday, I can't wait just to play again."

Rangers, who trail Celtic by five points at the top of the SPL, face a gruelling fixture schedule between now at the extended end of the season.

But Davis won't be complaining about the amount of games - he can't wait to play again after the buzz of their Italian job.

"We play Hibs on Sunday and that game is every bit as important as Thursday night," he said.

"The league is our bread and butter and when I signed for Rangers it was the one trophy I wanted to win.

"We will suffer from tiredness but we're only playing so many games because we've been successful and I'm not going to complain about that.

"Thankfully the manager likes to keep everything fresh and he picks each team for each individual match.

"That has been working so far and there's no reason why it can't do the trick until the end of the season. The title race is wide open after Celtic beat us twice recently but everything is still in our hands and that's all we can ask for."

David Healy is that a sign for next Season....I wonder :unsure:

Saturday, May 03, 2008

"Steven Whittaker and Sasa Papac broke down after the final whistle and for Sasa, in particular, it was incredible. :rangers:

David Healy is that a sign for next Season....I wonder :unsure:

I don' think we can read too much into it, Healy will just be his friend from Northern Ireland, and also Fulham. I wouldn't be surprised if they roomed together for Fulham and/ or N.I. I think it is probably more just a case they are good mates

Actually laugh at that :lol:

great article

Actually laugh at that :lol:

great article

Same.

Sasa Papac is fast becoming one of my favourite players though.

Nothing seems to phase him