Carlos "King" Cuellar

RANGERS defender Carlos Cuellar has been voted Scotland’s football writers’ Player of the Year.

The Ibrox star edged out Celtic Players’ Player of the Year Aiden McGeady in a two-horse race.

Gers pair Davie Weir and Allan McGregor and 30-goal Hoops striker Scott McDonald also won votes from Scotland’s journalists.

Cuellar is the first Ibrox winner since Barry Ferguson, who won the award in 2000 and 2003.

But the Spaniard is DREADING receiving his award in Glasgow next weekend — because he doesn’t speak English.

He admitted: “I will try and say a few words as I understand this is a very big honour for me. But I can tell you my ‘thank you’ will be very short!

“Standing in front of many people to receive the award won’t be a problem, but speaking English will.

“I’m happy for myself but also my team-mates, who are very deserving of this kind of award as well.

“In Spanish football we don’t have this kind of award. There are awards for man of the match or player of the month, but nothing for the whole season.

“But to be voted the best player in the country in my first season here is a great honour for me.â€

Cuellar moved to Ibrox from Osasuna last July in a £2.3million deal, and his fantastic form has seen him targeted by a host of Premier League clubs

He said: “The way the team has performed has maybe added value to me, but it will have added value to the whole team.

“I’m happy here and all I’m concentrating on is the 22 days that remain and the three competitions.â€

Cuellar has been a rock at the heart of defence on the way to the UEFA Cup Final and those displays have led to media talk in Spain that he could be called up by the national side.

He said: “In Spain there has been some talk about my performances here and speculation that I have a chance of playing for the national side, but we will see what happens.

“Playing in cup finals for Rangers can only be helpful in that respect. I know there has been some criticism from other clubs about our play, but it’s not always the best team who wins.

“Barcelona were saying the same kind of things about Manchester United this week. It seems this kind of thing happens when a team loses.â€

Well done, thoroughly deserved. Long stay the king :rangers: