Dundee United Game Goes Ahead

Rangers' request to have Saturday's clash with Dundee United at Ibrox postponed ahead of their UEFA Cup final agains Zenit St Petersburg has been rejected by the Scottish Premier League.

The Light Blues, who are embroiled in a hectic end to their season, take on Motherwell at Ibrox on Wednesday then welcome the Tannadice side to Govan in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League just three days before their Euro final at the City of Manchester Stadium.

After Rangers' goalless draw against Hibernian at Easter Road on Sunday, which began a run of eight games in 21 days for the Govan club, Ibrox boss Walter Smith again criticised the SPL for not offering them any help to prepare for their first European final in 36 years.

A further plea for help today by Rangers was knocked back although it is understood that SPL executive chairman Lex Gold and the Ibrox club are still trying to find a solution.

A spokesman for the SPL said: "We had a request from Rangers earlier in the day to have the Dundee United game postponed.

"We have not been able to agree to that request.

"Postponing that game would have a knock-on effect for the rest of the programme.

"We would have to move all the top-six fixtures to end the season with all the teams playing at the same time."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter will give them the biggest GIRFUY if we win the Quad.

All that hard work he put in to egt the Scottish national team back on the map and this is how they re-pay him :angry2:

Bunch of Wankers.

I think we have been treated very unfairly, our schedule is ridiculous. And I'm glad the club are trying to persuade them to help us out behind the scenes.

However, publically, whether it's the management, players or fans, it's time to just get our heads down and focus. We know what we've got to do and we need to just believe that we're capable. Too much negativity with regards to the fixture list can't be good for the players.

We've made perfectly clear that we're unhappy, I applaud that. But all this talk needs to be cast aside now, we've got a job to focus on. Only the likes of Martin Bain should be concerning themselves with the fixture situation now, and everyone else should be nothing but positive positive positive with a capital 'P'. :)

I assume we wanted to play the game after what are the final fixtures at the moment? It would have been nice to have had a free weekend before the UEFA final but I don't think that was ever going to happen.

Supposeadly us and the SPL are still in talks about this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7384698.stm

The Scottish Premier League have rejected a request by Rangers to have Saturday's clash with Dundee United at Ibrox postponed.

Rangers want more time to prepare for their Uefa Cup final appearance against Zenit St Petersburg next Wednesday.

A spokesman for the SPL said: "We have not been able to agree to that request.

"Postponing would have a knock-on effect. We would have to move all the top-six fixtures to end the season with the teams playing at the same time."

Rangers are already facing a fixture pile-up between now and the end of the season with Walter Smith's side still to play five SPL fixtures and a Scottish Cup final against Queen of the South in addition to their clash with Zenit in Manchester.

The Russian side have managed to get some of their domestic matches postponed and will not play another game before they face Rangers.

After Rangers' goalless draw against Hibernian at Easter Road on Sunday, which began a run of eight games in 21 days for the Govan club, Smith was critical of the SPL for not offering them any help to prepare for their first European final in 36 years.

But despite the league's refusal to move Saturday's match, it is understood that SPL executive chairman Lex Gold and the Ibrox club are still trying to find a solution.

Rangers have so far refused to comment, stating that a Scottish national newspaper has exclusive rights to their reaction.

To be honest I'm not too disapointed.

Yes it would probably give us a better chance in Manchester but it would have cosequences for the title bid.

I'm not saying I want one before the other, but we could really do with clawing back six points before they play Hibernian.

Supposeadly us and the SPL are still in talks about this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7384698.stm

The Scottish Premier League have rejected a request by Rangers to have Saturday's clash with Dundee United at Ibrox postponed.

Rangers want more time to prepare for their Uefa Cup final appearance against Zenit St Petersburg next Wednesday.

A spokesman for the SPL said: "We have not been able to agree to that request.

"Postponing would have a knock-on effect. We would have to move all the top-six fixtures to end the season with the teams playing at the same time."

Rangers are already facing a fixture pile-up between now and the end of the season with Walter Smith's side still to play five SPL fixtures and a Scottish Cup final against Queen of the South in addition to their clash with Zenit in Manchester.

The Russian side have managed to get some of their domestic matches postponed and will not play another game before they face Rangers.

After Rangers' goalless draw against Hibernian at Easter Road on Sunday, which began a run of eight games in 21 days for the Govan club, Smith was critical of the SPL for not offering them any help to prepare for their first European final in 36 years.

But despite the league's refusal to move Saturday's match, it is understood that SPL executive chairman Lex Gold and the Ibrox club are still trying to find a solution.

Rangers have so far refused to comment, stating that a Scottish national newspaper has exclusive rights to their reaction.

That national newspaper is the daily record. Keith Jackson was on RR earlier blabbering about how there would a twist regarding fixtures in tomorrow's papers.

I hope they do postpone the game to help us, but I just can't see it. It's clear to see that they do not want us to be successful, and they will do what they can to prevent our success, be it at home or abroad.

Hopefully Craig Levein has a say in this, as he and Walter are close.

Walter has now said his peace.... As the poster above rightly states.. time to get our heads down and do the business. The SPL have made their position very clear. And, for the rest of the world to see. In a sense.. perfect for us after we bring home everything!

a banner on the first game of next season.

'we didnt need you help last season, and we wont this season' r sumit.

or just 'get it fukin up ye spl officials'

hardly surprising they havent postponed it. I cant see it happening at such short notice now anyway. They do have to think about the supporters who have already booked flights boats etc for the match on saturday. The SPL is a joke

I think the SPL should be going out their way to help us. But I'm with Muff, we need to win these next 2 games before the Celtic game on Sunday to apply a bit pressure on them.

SPL snub Rangers request

Rangers' request to have Saturday's clash with Dundee United at Ibrox postponed ahead of their UEFA Cup final agains Zenit St Petersburg has been rejected by the Scottish Premier League.

The Light Blues, who are embroiled in a hectic end to their season, take on Motherwell at Ibrox on Wednesday then welcome the Tannadice side to Govan in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League just three days before their Euro final at the City of Manchester Stadium.

A spokesman for the SPL said: "We had a request from Rangers earlier in the day to have the Dundee United game postponed. We have not been able to agree to that request."

The spokesman added "Postponing that game would have a knock-on effect for the rest of the programme.

"We would have to move all the top-six fixtures to end the season with all the teams playing at the same time."

After Rangers' goalless draw against Hibernian at Easter Road on Sunday, which began a run of eight games in 21 days for the Govan club, Ibrox boss Walter Smith again criticised the SPL for not offering them any help to prepare for their first European final in 36 years.

A further plea for help on Monday by Rangers was knocked back although it is understood that SPL executive chairman Lex Gold and the Ibrox club are still trying to find a solution.

From STV.tv

Guest Andypendek

it was unrealistic to expect the Dundee U game to be called off - arrangements are in place for police/stewards/catering/corporate/ and so on. but i'm glad the club asked, just to show up once again what a bunch of trumpets are at the spl.