Wireless Advice

Gid

Gonna set up a wireless network in my flat for my new flatmate moving in next week.

Anyone know what the best kind is to get and where I can get it cheapest?

Was thinking maybe Linksys or Netgear. Any other suggestions?

this is a tough one as everyone has different views on their routers. I have had no problems with my old linksys wrt54gs and now have had no problems with my edimax, but you will hear someone that has had problems.

are you needing it for anything speacial or just so more people can access the net?

I got mine from Orange as part of my mobile contract (Free 8MB Broadband) and can highly recommend the associated router.

It's worth having a look when you next change mobile contracts about any broadband deals they may do.

I've also heard Sky Broadband is good too

Gonna set up a wireless network in my flat for my new flatmate moving in next week.

Anyone know what the best kind is to get and where I can get it cheapest?

Was thinking maybe Linksys or Netgear. Any other suggestions?

My house used to use a linksys, worked like a charm for about 3 years! Then stopped doh:lol:

But theres a shit load here of linksys ones..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/0...amp;x=0&y=0

I now have this one.. which is really good, but i think we had a faulty one as it died after a month, had to send it back, and that took like two weeks to get a new one.. :lol:

Is great, but pricey.. but its because 3 users on the net, we want the best range and speed one possible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/0...amp;x=0&y=0

More netgears: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/0...amp;x=0&y=0

I mean just go for something simplish if your looking for just you and a flat mate using it..

Whats your price range? I'd also go with a newish model.. 2006 onwards at least.

mad question

but do ya need a router with every lap top

even if ya have wii

so how do reps etc wurk theres when they come into my office when we dont have a router

if i get what you are meaning. You need a wireless router so anyone can connect to it using wifi. This si how people can connect in your office. I guess gid doesnt have a wireless one just now so is the reason he is looking to buy one

Correct.

I don't have wireless at the moment but am gonna install one as I have a flatmate moving in and he'll want to use the net too.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Anyone suggest where's best to buy from?

My netgear gave me limited to 11mb hardwired into my pc when it should have been 20mb, same 11mb over wireless to so i dont rate it.

Might not be this, but some areas only get certain speeds. We had the same for ages, were ment to get 15mb but only got 8mb (like last year)..

Its because they give certain speeds out to certain areas.

15mb was "up to" apparently... never happened though.

My netgear gave me limited to 11mb hardwired into my pc when it should have been 20mb, same 11mb over wireless to so i dont rate it.

Might not be this, but some areas only get certain speeds. We had the same for ages, were ment to get 15mb but only got 8mb (like last year)..

Its because they give certain speeds out to certain areas.

15mb was "up to" apparently... never happened though.

Nope i get full 20mb from my virgin modem, plug in my netgear router limted to 11mb.

Done all updates for it still the same. not tried it in a while though might have been fixed now.