Van Nistelrooy quits Dutch set-up

sneddon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7542088.stm

Real Madrid's Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has announced his retirement from international football.

"After studying the schedule of Madrid and the Dutch team I realised playing for both would mean too tough a load for me," said the 32-year-old.

Van Nistelrooy won the first of his 64 caps in 1998 and is the team's third highest all-time scorer with 33 goals.

He missed Euro 2000 through injury but played and scored at Euro 2004 and 2008 and also the 2006 World Cup.

His decision came as a surprise to new national team coach Bert van Marwijk, who succeeded Marco van Basten as national team coach on 1 July.

"I had a comprehensive conversation with Ruud and I can do nothing else but respect his decision," said van Marwijk.

"I regret it that I can't use his quality and experience when I compose my squad but I wish him all the best at Real Madrid."

Van Nistelrooy made his name at PSV Eindhoven, where he suffered a serious knee injury, before moving to Manchester United for a then- British record fee of £19m in 2001.

He had five successful years at Old Trafford before moving to Madrid in July 2006 for £10.2m.

Guest johngers
33 goals in 64 caps. Fantastic record and fantastic player.

Remember the old dick was after him, got Flo instead :pipe:

An excellent piece of business :pipe:

33 goals in 64 caps. Fantastic record and fantastic player.

Remember the old dick was after him, got Flo instead :pipe:

An excellent piece of business :pipe:

(tu) was dreading watching Davie Weir trying to cope with him at the qualifiers.

Now we've only got Sneijder, Van Persie etc to worry about. :unsure:

Looking at Huntelaar's record, only injury would mean this lad wouldn't replace Ruud.

His record makes you eyes pop right out your fucking head...and just to think, we were linked with him a few years ago when he was either with De Graafschap or Heerenveen.