Start to the SPL may be delayed

bluenose_72

The start of the Scottish Premier League this weekend could be delayed because of a strike threat from the country's Referees' Association (SRA).

The SPL is meeting the SRA at Hampden Park on Tuesday in an attempt to resolve a pay row, with the referees demanding a 39% pay rise.

It is believed the referees have been promised £600 a match - a £25 increase - but they are holding out for £800.

The referees met with the SPL on Monday without agreement.

"We expect the matter to be resolved soon," said an SPL spokesman.

"I have spoken to a number of referees and the threat of strike action is certainly a real one," BBC Scotland's Brian McLauchlin told Radio 5 Live.

"They are looking for parity with other comparable leagues in Europe, like Norway, Holland, Belgium and Greece.

"They train two or three nights a week, they do workshops, as well as going to clubs and giving up their time free of charge.

"They want the SPL to be realistic but they have been offered an increase of £25, to the referees that is just not acceptable."

Premier League referees in England receive an annual retainer of £33,000 plus £300 per match in fees.

Jim Trainer, head of sport at the Daily Record, says that the row is not just all about money.

"They do believe they are worth more money because of the pressure they are under now but they want the authorities to understand they need to be protected from chairman and managers who question their honesty and integrity," he said.

"We are at the stage where referees are pilloried far too often now. It's unfair. When managers start saying openly that a referee has cheated, then we need to sit down and think again.

"The referees are attempting to flex some muscle because they feel, and have done for a number of seasons, that they are not given the proper support and backing from the Scottish Football Association and the people who run the SPL.

"There is the real threat that they will not do the games this Saturday and I think there are a lot of fans that do support referees on this.

"The SPL will have to come to some sort of compromise because they cannot delay the start of the season."

The SPL kicks off this Saturday, with Rangers travelling to Falkirk in the opening game at 1230 BST.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

with their lousy performance from last season they should be expecting a pay cut not an increase

well said!

I think they let anyone delay the season nowadays except rangers of course!

joke

I'll run around with a whistle or a flag for an hour and a half for £600 (tu):craphead:

The referees have a cheek demanding any sort of pay increase, they were god awful last season <_<

you would not get the job mate you have to hate rangers!!

The standard of refereeing is at an alltime low in the 37 years I have been attending games so this to me is a huge joke. Let them go on strike. If they want more money they should improve their performance, be prepared to explain all the ones they get wrong and be prepared to be demoted for their mistakes.

I'll run around with a whistle or a flag for an hour and a half for £600 (tu):craphead:

The referees have a cheek demanding any sort of pay increase, they were god awful last season <_<

you would not get the job mate you have to hate rangers!!

Sh*t, forgot about that!! :lol:

ONE GLARING EXAMPLE

'Referee admits blunder in ruling out Aberdeen goal'

The referee Iain Brines has admitted he wrongly disallowed the goal that could have finished Celtic's title challenge.

Brines penalised Aberdeen's Zander Diamond for handball seconds before the defender fired the ball into the top corner of the net for what he thought was a last-gasp equaliser at Celtic Park on Saturday. Instead Celtic moved top of the Scottish Premier League with a 1-0 victory.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...23/ai_n25349745

ONE GLARING EXAMPLE

'Referee admits blunder in ruling out Aberdeen goal'

The referee Iain Brines has admitted he wrongly disallowed the goal that could have finished Celtic's title challenge.

Brines penalised Aberdeen's Zander Diamond for handball seconds before the defender fired the ball into the top corner of the net for what he thought was a last-gasp equaliser at Celtic Park on Saturday. Instead Celtic moved top of the Scottish Premier League with a 1-0 victory.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...23/ai_n25349745

It happened a few weeks previous to that as well.

Bah, I forgot about this.

Maybe Oleg has a point.

The refs do have a point, they must look around as say to themselves

Heh wait a minute why do Rangers have the likes of McCulloch etc who are worse than useless running around doing nothing for 25.000 a week approx and we get 450

Heh wait a minute why do Rangers have the likes of McCulloch etc who are worse than useless running around doing nothing for 25.000 a week approx and we get 450

big lee is no where near that money!!

12k is more like it!

12k is more like it!

My understanding is he was bought for 2.25 million and he is on approx what he was getting at Wigan 20-25.000 a week do you think he took a big cut in wages to come to us and milk it

The ref's have a point, they get ripped apart all the time and get no respect of the players or the press. And their lifes are always under the microscope as well.

rjgmf7.jpg

I would hate to do it

12k is more like it!

My understanding is he was bought for 2.25 million and he is on approx what he was getting at Wigan 20-25.000 a week do you think he took a big cut in wages to come to us and milk it

I just cannot beleive he would be on this, mind you might explain why smith feels the need to play him!

12k is more like it!

I just cannot beleive he would be on this, mind you might explain why smith feels the need to play him!

Why does he play the other guys he signed who have done more or less nothing, he would look a bigger idiot than he aleady is if he didnt

12k is more like it!

Why does he play the other guys he signed who have done more or less nothing, he would look a bigger idiot than he aleady is if he didnt

so what does he see in broadfoot :lol: