• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gmcf

• dougie76

• tannerall

• Moody Blue Legend

20 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Still not a patch on the original. Was lucky enough to ride The City Of New Orleans from Memphis to Chicago a couple of years ago. Never forget it.

Run out of likes for tonight mate or I would have put one to this. Nice one. 

And this reminds me of working nightshift at Ravenscraig after New Year in 82 . 8.00 at night till 10.00 in the morning , 14 hours , 5 days for the princely sum of about £80 a week for an apprentice :lol: . And when I got off nightshift and couldn't sleep , this was always on the radio 

42 minutes ago, gmcf said:

And this reminds me of working nightshift at Ravenscraig after New Year in 82 . 8.00 at night till 10.00 in the morning , 14 hours , 5 days for the princely sum of about £80 a week for an apprentice :lol: . And when I got off nightshift and couldn't sleep , this was always on the radio 

Never heard that song, but that story sounds familiar. My da was in Dalzell steel works tho

6 hours ago, gmcf said:

Same story, kind of. I had just finished my apprenticeship, first job as a tradesman - 1982, and I was making £185 a week. It was unreal going from £70 a week as an apprentice to £185 and that song along with this one always sticks in my mind. 

10 hours ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Never heard that song, but that story sounds familiar. My da was in Dalzell steel works tho

Aye , i think they were just down the road , another manky place to work in . I remember seeing how black the dayshift were and thinking fuck that , 20 minutes later we were all the same colour :lol: . 

It wasnt a well known song . When I went back on days it was always on the radio through the night when I was trying to sleep. One of the better ones of that time . 

4 hours ago, real boydie9 said:

Same story, kind of. I had just finished my apprenticeship, first job as a tradesman - 1982, and I was making £185 a week. It was unreal going from £70 a week as an apprentice to £185 and that song along with this one always sticks in my mind. 

Good thing about music is the funny things it reminds you of . 

Mental the money back then . My first wage iirc was £23 :lol:. To balance that though , you could go out and get pissed for a fiver :lol:

real boydie9 likes this