We as Rangers Supporters Saw It Coming...

Canadaready

I am sitting here on a vacation that was rolling along quite well until the fiasco that was Rangers 2008/2009 hit at full steam. No Europe for a club who just months before were in the UEFA Cup Final? You have to be kidding right? Well -- that seems to be the way the people that make the decisions for the club felt. A cake walk to the millions right boys?

Now, I am not one for being negative to anyone that runs Rangers Football Club. But, I am not one to ignore the obvious either. I just have one simple question. How does a club that possesses a vocal and caring foundation of support ignore the cries and concerns put forth on sites like this, on the airwaves, in the press, and by word of mouth? I mean, we have been screaming out of our minds that Rangers were needing to improve in order to have a successful season. Let's look back.

During our run in the UEFA Cup last season, many individuals associated with Rangers through a love for the club -- not finances -- were making the case that we were over-achieving in every sense. We were playing a defensive game and skimming through round upon round by grit alone. This same substantially sized group -- I would say a majority of the support -- was of the idea that we were throwing away the SPL title by not going for games more often against opponents we should handily defeat. In the end, what was prophesized over and over again by the supporters came true as we failed to clinch the league. Blame the SPL all you will but in the end we just couldn't handle it because we were not good enough. If it wasn't for Kris Boyd rescuing two cups last year, what would have happened in this off-season? One could only imagine. Either way, the concern of the loyal followers saw the threat of futility coming from the current bunch of players and made it known very loud and very clear.

The beginning of the off season was a time of great hope amongst us all. We believed that improvement would come to Rangers with the financial winfall of last season. After waiting for some type of midfield support, we saw our captain go down along with the signing of a multitude of attackers. Fans were up in arms in a way I have rarely seen them. We could not believe that Rangers had failed to improve the squad sufficiently and sounded the alarm bells about an exit to Kaunus. It only took a 10 second scan of Bears' Den topics to see that the support fully thought that the team had regressed from an already fragile state. As I said in my earlier article, we had prepared ourselves for the worst as best we could because the team was just not of 'Rangers' calibre.

Well, there is no doubting we love Rangers. There is no doubt that we will support Rangers through the hard times. The problem as I see it now is that the support feels that it is not only ignored by that those direct the club, they are being almost tormented by the decisions and attempted progressions the club makes.

We asked for Rangers to bring in some talent to sure up a midfield in drastic need of help. We only needed to look back to our last European run and SPL falter to see that we didn't have what it takes. We now know that Barry Ferguson was injured since the spring. The club must have knew this as well but did nothing other than not sign Steve Davis to make things more secure. Two of our most prominent players out of an already porous center. It almost makes you wonder what exactly is driving Rangers these days.

Well, go no further than finances. If the club was to plan for this season in order to achieve financial gains, the only cause for concern was this matchup with Kaunus. The major gamble, going out. While we were freaking out about that possibility, I am beginning to think that the brass at the club was not too concerned.

Think about it this way. If Rangers were to progress past Kaunus they would have been in a position to reach into Europe again with the same style of football as last season. Fans would have been content enough to shell out the almighty pound sterling to see our boys ploy their trade in Europe no matter what style of play or result we were seeing. This would have seen more money come in for less success as we as a support tend to do whatever we can for the club. Unfortunetly, rock bottom has hit much faster than the brass would have seen. Apparently they don't read websites.

This has happened before in sports. Case in point the Toronto Maple Leafs. That club has a support that will buy up every seat in the building on every game day just to see the club barely succeed to make the playoffs, it not miss them all together. The club hasn't rolled a championship season together since the 1960's yet they continue to make millions of dollars because the fans never give up hope. Why make less money just to succeed? I think that is the situation we may now find ourselves in.

As long as Rangers exists we will always want what is best for the club and see the dark times coming. The problem is that money is paramount to a business and while we as a support enjoy success on the pitch, that might not be what everything is all about on the business level at this point in time.

We care. We love Rangers. We will always support the team. We saw this coming. Now what?

Actually it did cross my mind in the second half how this would put a bit of a damper on your vacation. All I can say to defend Walter is that he got the European success he always craved with the catenaccio football and so he kept doing it, right up until the defence fell to pieces and made it a liability :(

Actually it did cross my mind in the second half how this would put a bit of a damper on your vacation. All I can say to defend Walter is that he got the European success he always craved with the catenacchio football and so he kept doing it, right up until the defence fell to pieces and made it a liability :(

I don't really have a specific gripe with anyone. Smith did what he thought was best. I have a concern that his hands were tied on possible deals he would have liked to make but there will never be any indication of that.

We are now looking at the possibility of landing no one of calibre since the lure of European football went crashing.

It's just annoying that the appearance in the final made us a more attractive proposition to decent players and now we have thrown all that away. It didn't even have to be about spending money, we could have went down the Gattuso route and brought in a few up and coming players

I am sitting here on a vacation that was rolling along quite well until the fiasco that was Rangers 2008/2009 hit at full steam. No Europe for a club who just months before were in the UEFA Cup Final? You have to be kidding right? Well -- that seems to be the way the people that make the decisions for the club felt. A cake walk to the millions right boys?

Now, I am not one for being negative to anyone that runs Rangers Football Club. But, I am not one to ignore the obvious either. I just have one simple question. How does a club that possesses a vocal and caring foundation of support ignore the cries and concerns put forth on sites like this, on the airwaves, in the press, and by word of mouth? I mean, we have been screaming out of our minds that Rangers were needing to improve in order to have a successful season. Let's look back.

During our run in the UEFA Cup last season, many individuals associated with Rangers through a love for the club -- not finances -- were making the case that we were over-achieving in every sense. We were playing a defensive game and skimming through round upon round by grit alone. This same substantially sized group -- I would say a majority of the support -- was of the idea that we were throwing away the SPL title by not going for games more often against opponents we should handily defeat. In the end, what was prophesized over and over again by the supporters came true as we failed to clinch the league. Blame the SPL all you will but in the end we just couldn't handle it because we were not good enough. If it wasn't for Kris Boyd rescuing two cups last year, what would have happened in this off-season? One could only imagine. Either way, the concern of the loyal followers saw the threat of futility coming from the current bunch of players and made it known very loud and very clear.

The beginning of the off season was a time of great hope amongst us all. We believed that improvement would come to Rangers with the financial winfall of last season. After waiting for some type of midfield support, we saw our captain go down along with the signing of a multitude of attackers. Fans were up in arms in a way I have rarely seen them. We could not believe that Rangers had failed to improve the squad sufficiently and sounded the alarm bells about an exit to Kaunus. It only took a 10 second scan of Bears' Den topics to see that the support fully thought that the team had regressed from an already fragile state. As I said in my earlier article, we had prepared ourselves for the worst as best we could because the team was just not of 'Rangers' calibre.

Well, there is no doubting we love Rangers. There is no doubt that we will support Rangers through the hard times. The problem as I see it now is that the support feels that it is not only ignored by that those direct the club, they are being almost tormented by the decisions and attempted progressions the club makes.

We asked for Rangers to bring in some talent to sure up a midfield in drastic need of help. We only needed to look back to our last European run and SPL falter to see that we didn't have what it takes. We now know that Barry Ferguson was injured since the spring. The club must have knew this as well but did nothing other than not sign Steve Davis to make things more secure. Two of our most prominent players out of an already porous center. It almost makes you wonder what exactly is driving Rangers these days.

Well, go no further than finances. If the club was to plan for this season in order to achieve financial gains, the only cause for concern was this matchup with Kaunus. The major gamble, going out. While we were freaking out about that possibility, I am beginning to think that the brass at the club was not too concerned.

Think about it this way. If Rangers were to progress past Kaunus they would have been in a position to reach into Europe again with the same style of football as last season. Fans would have been content enough to shell out the almighty pound sterling to see our boys ploy their trade in Europe no matter what style of play or result we were seeing. This would have seen more money come in for less success as we as a support tend to do whatever we can for the club. Unfortunetly, rock bottom has hit much faster than the brass would have seen. Apparently they don't read websites.

This has happened before in sports. Case in point the Toronto Maple Leafs. That club has a support that will buy up every seat in the building on every game day just to see the club barely succeed to make the playoffs, it not miss them all together. The club hasn't rolled a championship season together since the 1960's yet they continue to make millions of dollars because the fans never give up hope. Why make less money just to succeed? I think that is the situation we may now find ourselves in.

As long as Rangers exists we will always want what is best for the club and see the dark times coming. The problem is that money is paramount to a business and while we as a support enjoy success on the pitch, that might not be what everything is all about on the business level at this point in time.

We care. We love Rangers. We will always support the team. We saw this coming. Now what?

Well said CR, its just such a shame its all gone wrong after the Kaunus game :(

Where do we go from here ? Rangers fans are the best in the world and our love of the club will never end. However, in my heart I was worried about this game, just gut feeling. I predicted a 2-1 win for us but something inside me saw it coming.

The signings Walter made were clearly bad misjudgement and it hurts me to say Im disappointed in the man.

It's just annoying that the appearance in the final made us a more attractive proposition to decent players and now we have thrown all that away. It didn't even have to be about spending money, we could have went down the Gattuso route and got in a few up and coming players

Without a doubt. From that business perspective it makes no sense. Why sit on our hands in the early part of the transfer season when we knew a) Ferguson was hurt and b) we weren't very good. If the planning was post Kaunus, what a joke.

I'm sure if we had been playing better opposition he wouldn't have allowed the midfield to become so depleted but he had obviously completely discounted Kaunas and it's cost us dear

I think simply because we reached a UEFA Cup Final, he thought it would be a doddle, maybe Im wrong.

Im just so disappointed :(

I'm sure if we had been playing better opposition he wouldn't have allowed the midfield to become so depleted but he had obviously completely discounted Kaunas and it's cost us dear

I think simply because we reached a UEFA Cup Final, he thought it would be a doddle, maybe Im wrong.

I don't even know if he took them lightly. Maybe the purse was shut unless he got the current crew into the next round?

I don't even know if he took them lightly. Maybe the purse was shut unless he got the current crew into the next round?

I think thats the case. We always buy last-minute, in the sales if I can put it that way. Poundstretcher

"Well, there is no doubting we love Rangers. There is no doubt that we will support Rangers through the hard times. The problem as I see it now is that the support feels that it is not only ignored by that those direct the club, they are being almost tormented by the decisions and attempted progressions the club makes."

A good article CR and i think the part above sums up how the majority on here are feeling at the moment.

The "why didnt we bring in a midfielder for Kaunas?" question will probably crop up on here on a daily basis from now until the end of the season and its easy to understand why. Ive been sat here for hours trying to answer it and ive came up with no reasonable conclusions. Only one man can do so and i hope a journo has the balls to ask him.

Im completely sickened with the club from top to bottom at the moment. From the amateurish website to the failing match day experience, from the bewildering kit launch to the clubs seemingly woeful way of handling the media.

If theres ANY positive (and yes, i know im pushing it with that word) to take from all this is that its hopefully woke a few fans up. From what ive read, some have had enough and are now feeling that its time to vote with their feet. The post UEFA Cup run honeymoon period is now completely stone dead and its time for the club to come out and appease us.

"Well, there is no doubting we love Rangers. There is no doubt that we will support Rangers through the hard times. The problem as I see it now is that the support feels that it is not only ignored by that those direct the club, they are being almost tormented by the decisions and attempted progressions the club makes."

A good article CR and i think the part above sums up how the majority on here are feeling at the moment.

The "why didnt we bring in a midfielder for Kaunas?" question will probably crop up on here on a daily basis from now until the end of the season and its easy to understand why. Ive been sat here for hours trying to answer it and ive came up with no reasonable conclusions. Only one man can do so and i hope a journo has the balls to ask him.

Im completely sickened with the club from top to bottom at the moment. From the amateurish website to the failing match day experience, from the bewildering kit launch to the clubs seemingly woeful way of handling the media.

If theres ANY positive (and yes, i know im pushing it with that word) to take from all this is that its hopefully woke a few fans up. From what ive read, some have had enough and are now feeling that its time to vote with their feet. The post UEFA Cup run honeymoon period is now completely stone dead and its time for the club to come out and appease us.

Thanks for the reply. I see someone else understands this snowball effect. We are in a period where the next few steps the club makes are going to be crucial in appeasing us.

4-5-1 works with 2 attacking wingers ,an attacking midfielder and 2 top defenders.

Not a tired Weir,broadfoot in defence

McCulloch,Adam,Dailly in midfield

Nacho on the wing

and a guy who canny score up front.

when i saw the line up i thought we would struggle but hoped for a 1-1

When the winner went in i turned off cos i knew we wouldn't score again.

4-5-1 works with 2 attacking wingers ,an attacking midfielder and 2 top defenders.

Not a tired Weir,broadfoot in defence

McCulloch,Adam,Dailly in midfield

Nacho on the wing

and a guy who canny score up front.

when i saw the line up i thought we would struggle but hoped for a 1-1

When the winner went in i turned off cos i knew we wouldn't score again.

It was a complete disaster in every sense Gaff. I honestly dont think Ive ever been more disappointed. :(

very good article and like you I'm now worried as to where the money will come from to strengthen the team.

As Rangers supporters its time we asked questions as to what state our financies are really in and need to be kept abreast of where shares ie IMH etc go and if we are liable for other debts that I dread might be kept from public knowledge.

Murray needs to get the message that he is accountable and we the fans need to know the true state of affairs.

If the accounts and debt are as bad as I think, then the fans will be in a position to use this against Murray and thus open different avenues for a takeover by another party.

The way things stand at the moment our chairman is ducking and diving and he is pulling the wool over eveyones eyes.

I am sure Walter would have always played almost the same midfield with Barry replacing Novo and then all his favourites would have played and yes we all saw it coming.

I have really never seen it before in sport where a club is so out of touch with the wants and desires of the fans. Its mindboggling.

Well gutted. Put on ma season renewal that i wanted all European games booked before thinking id get like big european clubs coming over like last year. I had one shity goalless draw to watch (td)