Potential GB Olympics team - encourage a British league?

J_RFC87

The reason why the Welsh, N.Irish and Scottish FA are very much against the GB Team is because they think they'll lose their sovereignty to a British FA.

There have been some mixed answers in FIFA and UEFA circles:

"As the Fifa president has stated on several occasions, a British Olympic football team would not affect at all the privileges of the four British associations as members of Fifa," it read.

But Blatter had a somewhat different message back in March.

"If you start to put together a combined team for the Olympics, the question will automatically come up that there are four different associations so how can they play in one team," he said.

"If this is the case then why the hell do they have four associations and four votes and their own vice-presidency?

"This will put into question all the privileges that the British associations have been given by the Congress in 1946."

If they did lose their sovereignty, and a British team was set up, could this mean a British league would be set up? Would you like this to happen or not?

a British league would be great. i think. Speaking as Rangers fan....

Wouldn't be quite so happy with a unified British team (at the cost of the individual nations anyway) but this is mainly because you would never hear the end of the fucking whinging from people that hate Britain etc ;)

No and Scotland could get its independence in the next 10-15 years - that wouldn't be ideal for a 'british league'.

but football isnt an echo of politics... a British league would be good for Rangers FC and I'd be all for it....what I would be against is the dilution or abolishment of the Scottish National team

No and Scotland could get its independence in the next 10-15 years - that wouldn't be ideal for a 'british league'.

Dont be silly

Independence would ruin Scotland

We are British and should be proud to be British.

I'm all for a British Olympic team and cant wait for it :unionflag:

Dont be silly

:mutley:(tu)

Dont be silly

I'm all for a British Olympic team and cant wait for it :unionflag:

some of us are Scottish and proud to be Scottish.

probably not the best time to start that argument though.

Oh here we go, the Nationalists are quick to jump in and say no way instead of actually examining what being part of a Biritish League would mean for a club like Rangers. Put your political views to the back of your mind for the moment, forget that everything with Britiain in the title is the anti-Christ to you for a second.

We would generate massive income in the form of TV Rights, merchandising, advertisement and exposure which would in turn allow us to buy players we couldn't dream of in our current state. This will inevitably bring success in the long-term if you consider our magnificent support who would make Ibrox a fortress and help the team no end at away games.

And for all of us who would like to see Murray just find a buyer and fuck off, there would be a much more attractive look to Rangers for potential buyers.

As for the cons, i cannot really think of any accept the historical relevance of us playing in the Scottish league. But times ultimately change as they have done throughout our history. We can move on.

In short, the formation of a British League system whereby money is equally distributed among the top clubs from each country would be an absolute triumph for Rangers. We would no longer be a big fish in a very small pond, being blown away by inferior teams from richer countries. Rangers would be up there with the big boys of Europe again.

away back tae yer bed ya feckin jacobite :crab:

I can just see it now both teams and supporters have to stand for GSTQ before each match and pledge an oath of allegiance to wee lizzy and the crown :unionflag:

On the point more so, I hope not. I like Scotland and we would also have more chance of being in European competition (just that we wasted this year's chance!)

The only teams that would be happy with an all british league would be Rangers and Celtic! THis is a non starter and will never happen!

Na, if Sellick are to stick to their proud principles they'll refuse an invitation to join. All Ra Sellick supporters will surely be against the league. Unless they're hypocrites of course.... :craphead:

Oh here we go, the Nationalists are quick to jump in and say no way instead of actually examining what being part of a Biritish League would mean for a club like Rangers. Put your political views to the back of your mind for the moment, forget that everything with Britiain in the title is the anti-Christ to you for a second.

We would generate massive income in the form of TV Rights, merchandising, advertisement and exposure which would in turn allow us to buy players we couldn't dream of in our current state. This will inevitably bring success in the long-term if you consider our magnificent support who would make Ibrox a fortress and help the team no end at away games.

And for all of us who would like to see Murray just find a buyer and fuck off, there would be a much more attractive look to Rangers for potential buyers.

As for the cons, i cannot really think of any accept the historical relevance of us playing in the Scottish league. But times ultimately change as they have done throughout our history. We can move on.

In short, the formation of a British League system whereby money is equally distributed among the top clubs from each country would be an absolute triumph for Rangers. We would no longer be a big fish in a very small pond, being blown away by inferior teams from richer countries. Rangers would be up there with the big boys of Europe again.

Yes, thank you. (tu)

And if the thread goes on, please refrain from the independence speech, it's all very tribalistic and we don't care. Rule Britannia :unionflag:

The only teams that would be happy with an all british league would be Rangers and Celtic! THis is a non starter and will never happen!

Na, if Sellick are to stick to their proud principles they'll refuse an invitation to join. All Ra Sellick supporters will surely be against the league. Unless they're hypocrites of course.... :craphead:

They can join the Irish league where they can still be the 2nd most popular team of Irish fans behind Man yoo