I can't believe I'm posting this, but

Thermopylae

Do you know how you can hear something and it doesn't have any significance at the time, but years later it does, well I was thinking the other day that Archy Knox was given the credit at the time for identifing Brian Laudrup as a target and so I'm beginning to wonder if he was the one responsible for the flair in Walter's first team, and left to his own devices Waldo would prefer "good honest pros". I know this seems absurd, after all Archie was always seen as a very unsophisticated and no nonsense character, but we have to remember that because of his long association with Walter he would have had had more input then than Ally and Kenny have now.

Bottom line is just because Archie Knox shouts a lot doesn't mean to say he isn't partial to the beautiful game indeed we only have to remember that the gruff Jock Wallace was a big fan of the sublime Davie Cooper to see you can't always judge a book by it's cover

Do you know how you can hear something and it doesn't have any significance at the time, but years later it does, well I was thinking the other day that Archy Knox was given the credit at the time for identifing Brian Laudrup as a target and so I'm beginning to wonder if he was the one responsible for the flair in Walter's first team, and left to his own devices Waldo would prefer "good honest pros". I know this seems absurd, after all Archie was always seen as a very unsophisticated and no nonsense character, but we have to remember that because of his long association with Walter he would have had had more input then than Ally and Kenny have now.

Bottom line is just because Archie Knox shouts a lot doesn't mean to say he isn't partial to the beautiful game indeed we only have to remember that the gruff Jock Wallace was a big fan of the sublime Davie Cooper to see you can't always judge a book by it's cover

I know exactly what you mean I was thinking the same about Smith maybe it was Knox who made us what we were in the 90s

Smith was alone at Everton and struggled went to Man U where I think Fergie took him under his wing and said this is where you are making a cunt of yourself and we are stuck with him making a cunt of us now :angry2:

Yes lets take apart the mans reputation from the nine in a row era now. ffs.

Imo he's just running out of steam. Every club he goes to, he is essentially there to steady the ship. He went to Everton with no money to steady the ship, sorted out the mess at the Scotland national team, and is now back to sort out the mess at Rangers, which seems to be mission impossible.

He doesnt have the energy for it now, and he shouldnt last for any more than his 3 year contract.

The reactionaries on this board never cease to amaze me, during the Uefa cup final most of the board was halfway up his arse, seems he was correct in saying you are only 2 games from a crisis at Rangers. We'd end up like Newcastle 'manager a minute' United if people on this board were allowed anywhere near the Rangers FC decision making process.

Walter clearly knows we need more midfielders in the squad, following the injury to Barry and the financial difficulty in keeping Davis. Bring in a couple and our squad will look pretty healthy. The main problem would then be who to select from our many options in attack.

Maybe he took a risk that backfired in trying to get past Kaunas without midfield reinforcements. Maybe he had no real option.

WOW !!!! One admittedly very poor result and we want to tear a great man's reputation to pieces.

What happened to all those on here who wanted to get Walter a Knighthood, where have they all gone ??

Again, i concede that his decision to sign 3 strikers when midfield seemed the area that needed strengthening was wrong but his "poor" choices got us to 2 cups, a European final & final day league challenge ... all things that from the previous season we were crying out for.

Walter deserves our backing but the league is a MUST & if that's not delivered, with no European distraction then we do need to replace him.

WOW !!!! One admittedly very poor result and we want to tear a great man's reputation to pieces.

What happened to all those on here who wanted to get Walter a Knighthood, where have they all gone ??

Again, i concede that his decision to sign 3 strikers when midfield seemed the area that needed strengthening was wrong but his "poor" choices got us to 2 cups, a European final & final day league challenge ... all things that from the previous season we were crying out for.

Walter deserves our backing but the league is a MUST & if that's not delivered, with no European distraction then we do need to replace him.

Lets not forget he achived it in Scotland his record in Europe is atrocious

Lets not forget he achived it in Scotland his record in Europe is atrocious

A European final appearance is "Atrocious" ???.

Even in his previous reign, but for a corrupt Chairman i.e. Marsiellie (SP ??) we would have made a CL final.

I think it unfair to say he should go now and use a poor European run as the reason.

The lack of effort to address the blindingly obvious is what has annoyed most, yes we got to the UEFA cup final, but if the truth be told we rode our luck in near every game, the close season was the time to press on and marketly improve our squad, never happened.

Thanks for picking up the debris of PLGs wreckage and steadying, but long term? Smith is not the man to take us on.

Stadium, Training facilities, Fanbase, history and heritage are all there, thats a heady mix that requires a good football side to crack on.

Yes lets take apart the mans reputation from the nine in a row era now. ffs.

Imo he's just running out of steam. Every club he goes to, he is essentially there to steady the ship. He went to Everton with no money to steady the ship, sorted out the mess at the Scotland national team, and is now back to sort out the mess at Rangers, which seems to be mission impossible.

He doesnt have the energy for it now, and he shouldnt last for any more than his 3 year contract.

The reactionaries on this board never cease to amaze me, during the Uefa cup final most of the board was halfway up his arse, seems he was correct in saying you are only 2 games from a crisis at Rangers. We'd end up like Newcastle 'manager a minute' United if people on this board were allowed anywhere near the Rangers FC decision making process.

It's not really my intention to take apart his reputation I'm just making the point that he was a team with Archie Knox because of their similar age and level of experience. As a general point number 2's seldom get the credit they deserve, for example Peter Taylor was a big part of what Brian Clough achieved and yet he receives virtually no recognition

So far as the UEFA Cup goes I've made the point that ourselves and septic have reached 2 finals in 5 years, which speaks volumes about it's quality

Last year, Thermo was among a large number of us who refused to be confused into believing that a successful run in the UEFA Cup was a sign of truly wonderful team.

I was desperate for us to win the quadruple last year, but I was under no illusions that we were playing beautiful football.

For me, though, the problem is SDM and his oversight of the club. Someone was moaning elsewhere about his business oriented view of the club. To me, its hard to see the actions of one of Scotland's most successful self-made men in the actions of SDM. Someone out of ideas and trying to extract every last penny yes, but not an innovative entrepreneur.

I read somewhere that he may be having cash flow problems in other parts of his business empire, I don't know if that is true but it may explain his reluctance to go into further debt?

Also someone posted on here that our reluctance to back the last share issue may explain his current aversion to putting his hand in his own pocket