Why have we all turned our back on fergie?

Gaitens08

A fully fit Barry Ferguson is an asset to the team. Unfortunately he's rarely been fully fit since coming back from Ewood Park and is now suffering from his foolish decision to play on despite a serious of potentially career threatening injuries. It was not brave, it was unprofessional. Now the team and player are suffering because of it and because the manager could not even find a short term solution.

Ferguson contributed very little last season, was posted missing during a number of games and we had the 'greeting and moaning' that is supposed to be his style of leadership. I'll accept he might have been frustrated at times by the performances around him, but there is no excuse for the Club Captain taking out what are clearly his mistakes out on other players around him. It was no coincidence that the likes of Thomson grew in stature as Ferguson declined.

I hope he can make it back and regain at least some of his old form, as I said he could still have a role to play. But I think we should prepare ourselves for the fact that he might have to retire. And so should Walter.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murray (and Smith) knew that Ferguson was going to require surgery during the summer. They had months to sort out a replacement. They didn't and even the Steve Davis deal fell on its arse thanks to our penny-pinching, short-sighted Chairman.

That's twice (at least) in the last year Murray has balked at doing the right thing. He should have spent the entire first six-months of Walter Smith's "steady the ship" period finding a replacement for him. Again, he didn't and we're now paying for that mistake.

Anyone who thinks Walter Smith is the answer to our present problems is deluding themselves - in truth, Walter is part of the problem. Check out his signing record and see if I'm overstating this issue. I mean, c'mon....who in their right mind would sign Lee McCulloch for the money we did?

But back to Ferguson.

His absence is felt because he is the only genuine footballing talent that we have at the club - albeit his flame is flickering towards a dying ember stage. No longer can he burst from one end of the pitch to the other. No longer is he a threat going forward - he knows he'll struggle to get back. Injury notwithstanding, this would have been a perfect time for the club to look at replacing Ferguson in the middle of the park with someone more attacking-minded - and dare I say it - younger.

Meanwhile the Tarriers have boosted their midfield this week with the signing of a relatively unknown 20-something from Barcelona. He may or may not be a success. We, meanwhile, decide to muddle along with Dailly and McCulloch in midfield.

I fear the worst.