Walter Smith: I dread losing Carlos!

WALTER SMITH has confessed Rangers ARE facing the nightmare scenario of having to sell £12million-rated stopper Carlos Cuellar.

Their humiliating midweek Champions League exit to Lithuanians FBK Kaunas has left a huge hole in the finances.

And as SunSport revealed, Spurs boss Juande Ramos is considering a mega-bucks swoop for the Spaniard.

Cashing in on Cuellar — who cost £2.3m a year ago — would allow Gers to virtually recoup their Euro losses.

Spurs have already filled the Ibrox coffers to the tune of £9m for Alan Hutton.

When asked about the prospect of Cuellar being sold, Smith said: “Our situation has always been the same.

''It was the same with Alan.

“If somebody comes in and offers the club a level of money like that, then there’s always a pressure on you to give that consideration.

“Especially just now after getting knocked out of Europe.

“That’s where the pressure is — the fact you are more liable, or more susceptible, to an offer.

“But so far we’ve not had one and I’m hoping that continues.

“Everybody is obviously hoping that continues to be the case.

“We still want to bring new players in. But it’s proving difficult to get our hands on people who could supply us with a slightly different style of play.

''If they become available, then we’ll do our best.”

Smith and Ibrox chief Sir David Murray faced angry Gers fans on Friday and admitted Cuellar could go if Spurs offer huge money.

But Jim Templeton, president of the Rangers Supporters’ Assembly, is glad they won’t flog him to make up the £12m lost by the Euro KO.

He said: “We are still trying to bring in fresh blood and are not about to sell our best players.

“A few nerves were settled when we asked about Carlos.”

The very least Walter could have done was say

Carlos is a Rangers player, he is not for sale. We will look to move other players on to bring in transfer funds to help the loss in revenue and help bolster the squad. Carlos is a vital member of the team and all offers will be rejected.

That would at least make teams bid sensibiliy, instead of trying to get him on the cheap.

That interview will only incourage the premiership clubs to bid £5, £6 and maybe £7 million to see how desperate we are.

Surely saying you fear losing him, attracts clubs to bid "peanuts" knowing we are vulnerable so to speak? I can see Cuellar going as soon as Spurs bid around £8m tbh.

Cashing in on Cuellar — who cost £2.3m a year ago — would allow Gers to virtually recoup their Euro losses.

and therefore weakening our squad, because I do not trust the current management to spend any money made wisely. They already proved this by their summer dealings.

Walter should spend more time teaching our players how to score goals. Spends far too much time talking shite to the media. :angry2:

Anyone who wanted to know how much Walter valued a player only need look it up online. I'm starting to think he likes the media more than us.

He must be the worst poker player ever!

Walter should spend more time teaching our players how to score goals. Spends far too much time talking shite to the media. :angry2:

Anyone who wanted to know how much Walter valued a player only need look it up online. I'm starting to think he likes the media more than us.

He must be the worst poker player ever!

Exactly. Why does he need to come out with all this pish . hes using the Media to get messages across to interested clubs .

Lets sing our Hearts out with the Cuellar Song v Hearts. !! Cuellar Must Stay . !!!

Sad thing is, don't think everyone or most people know it at ibrox :rangers:<cr>

I always thought it was the song taht was . well i think created here on RM .

Hes the rock of our back 4 Cuellar Cuellar !

The Opposition Score no more Cuellar Cuellar !

Hes 6ft 3 with curly hair his teeth are fucked but we dont care hes carlos cuellar the rangers centre half NA NA NA NA NA

That is all ive heard been sung is the bit before that even it ? or what is it .

Lets sing our Hearts out with the Cuellar Song v Hearts. !! Cuellar Must Stay . !!!

Sad thing is, don't think everyone or most people know it at ibrox :rangers:<cr>

I always thought it was the song taht was . well i think created here on RM .

Hes the rock of our back 4 Cuellar Cuellar !

The Opposition Score no more Cuellar Cuellar !

Hes 6ft 3 with curly hair his teeth are fucked but we dont care hes carlos cuellar the rangers centre half NA NA NA NA NA

That is all ive heard been sung is the bit before that even it ? or what is it .

That the tune :bouncy:

Sing it week in, week out in honour of the King :bouncy:

Aye only a few people in the Broomloan Stand sing along with me :(

What words do you do . do you just jump straight to the hes 6ft 3 with curly hair bit

SAVE YOUR BREATH TALKING ABOUT BEING WORRIED ABOUT LOSING HIM AND USE IT TO SAY FUCK OFF TO OTHER CLUBS!

Either Walter's going daft or this is a non-story.

Or what Walter says and thinks don't matter and he's just going to have to do as SDM says.