Well then... we might aswell give in.

PeteLove

Past 5 years, any player that has showed promise has gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Ferguson - a few outstanding seasons, best player by a mile at the point. The club captain, still young and a huge future in front of him. Sold to Blackburn.

Jean-Alain Boumsong - a brilliant display after brilliant display, was seen as the rock of our defence and future captian etc etc. 6 months later? Sold to Newcastle.

Alan Hutton - After a few stop-start years of being patient with him through injury etc, he finally begins showing his true form at the start of last season. He completely changes from a squad player to indespensible. Fantastic European performances, brilliant in the league (especially OF games), future captain etc etc. Sold to Tottenham.

Carlos Cuellar - Signs in the summer of 07. Not many people know much about him, but heads begin to turn after just a handful of displays. European performances were some of the best we had ever seen, and every time he was near the ball you just knew it was safe. Was hailed as a future captain, loved by all. Sold to Aston Villa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

All this since Murray announced the downsizing of the club. It appears that this is just going to continue. We don't get 10% of the money EPL clubs manage in a year, and simply have not been in a worse position financially before, compared to our English friends.

Notice that every one of these players were sold to EPL clubs, all behind the top 4.

I'm sure every fan harbours ambitions for us to do something in Europe, beat the best, live up to our history.

But it is plain and simple, as long as the EPL are about (with us on the outside looking in), we will never fulfill those ambitions.

The sale of the King has finally hit that home to me anyway, and I can't say I've ever felt more depressed than today.