Rangers and the code

D'Artagnan

I agree about the spiritual ideas... personally I am not a devout protestant... I'm more of an agnostic... but I've always seen Rangers as something of a religion... I go as often as I can to a "place of worship", and through personal hardship, as many people turn to their faith, I turn to my team... MY faith.

It always has felt, to me, that there is something special about following Rangers.

As for DM... I fully support him, because he has done great thing with the club... Call me blind, tell me I have my head in the sand... but there are times when I wish we spent more money... but I realise that we cannot... and with what money we DO have... DM has done a fantastic job. He's taken us from ?70m+ in debt, to a little over ?5m... and I think I'm right in saying he was not chairman during Advocatt's mental spending spree's.

Really there is one thing we all care about, and that's why we have the views we do ^_^

Wrong he was chairman and he sanctioned the spending spree...

Sorry, I hold my hands up then, I was wrong... I thought it was McClelland at that time :rolleyes:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But again, can you concisely state the point of your article ?"

You work it out....others obviously have going by the responses to it.

My point is, why the long intro about Murray ?

To me, it wasn't just an article about the great tradtion of the club and what it means to be a true Rangers fan.

To me, going by the opening section of the article, it was basically a swipe at Murray.

Ayebrox,

If I was taking a swipe at SDM...believe you me you would know about.

It would certainly be more than a paragraph of factual content.

So what was the purpose of discussing Murray for the first section of the article ?

To demonstrate that rank/privilledge/money/status are not factors in determining what is a bear.

He arrived at Ibrox in 87 and confessed to be one of the regular attendees at Ayr Utd matches...he also added he knows hee haw about fitba and Mr Souness and David Holmes will answer yer questions about that....FACT !!!! (beer) :D

I think a bit of reality needs to be brought to proceedings here...

Football is not a religion. It's a game.

You cannot separate Protestantism from Christianity. That is why much of Rangers' brand of "Protestantism" revolves around hatred and spiritual violence - it has been separated from Christianity.

Your birth has absolutely nothing to do with what football team you support.

Rangers are not the epitomy of truth, integrity, loyalty, steadfastness or dignity. Those things exist outside of Rangers, existed before Rangers, and will exist after Rangers.

I think what I read in your words D'Artagnan is a man struggling to find his place in life. I see a desire to stand for something - something strong, and with values, something that matters. For some reason, you see it in Rangers Football Club, and your feeling is so strong that you are willing to focus your entire life on it. I can't say I understand that at all, but I did want to point out that I find much of it to be fantastical. I have nothing against being passionate about a football club, but I cannot agree that the mysteries of life, the universe, and everything in it are found in a sports team from Govan.

I also take offense at his inferrence that because I am not a protestant that I am nto a true bear. Not a true fan, etc etc etc

Thats just the kind of bs that gets us a bad press in the first place

You cannot separate Protestantism from Christianity. That is why much of Rangers' brand of "Protestantism" revolves around hatred and spiritual violence.

Rangers are not the epitomy of truth, integrity, loyalty, steadfastness or dignity. Those things exist outside of Rangers, existed before Rangers, and will exist after Rangers.

I think what I read in your words D'Artagnan is a man struggling to find his place in life. I see a desire to stand for something - something strong, and with values, something that matters. For some reason, you see it in Rangers Football Club, and your feeling is so strong that you are willing to focus your entire life on it. I can't say I understand that at all, but I did want to point out that I find much of it to be fantastical. I have nothing against being passionate about a football club, but I cannot agree that the mysteries of life, the universe, and everything in it are found in a sports team from Govan.

Good post once again, KDI (tu)

Dropped you a PM by the way (tu)

D'Artagnan, forgive me for being a little confused here but you say that this is not an Anti-DM thread. So why have you spent most of it saying that he is not a true Ranger and does not know what it means to be one?

The rest of it to me seems to be rather philosophycal. I dont agree that Rangers fans are born. Nobody is born anything except male or female. We are nurtured into being Rangers fans and taught what it means to be a Ger. This can be learned by anyone at any stage of their life. I was first inducted into the Rangers Family when i was 6 years old as that was my first match. But David Murray has also been inducted into the Rangers way of life and has learned what Rangers means to it's fans. Don't try and kid yourself that David Murray doesn't know what bneing a Rangers fan is. He has worked alongside us and with Rangers men for ages now.

Rangers are my religion, as i worship them and nothing else. But that doesn't mean anyone who holds Rangers in less a regard as i do is any less of a supporter. You don't have to be a Protestant and a Unionist to support Rangers you simply have to love watching your football team win and that is that.

Once again, i fail to see the relevance of your post and i am afraid i may never see the relevance of any of your posts. As hard as it may seem there is more to life than Rangers, you should start looking for it.

D'Artagnan, forgive me for being a little confused here but you say that this is not an Anti-DM thread. So why have you spent most of it saying that he is not a true Ranger and does not know what it means to be one?

The rest of it to me seems to be rather philosophycal. I dont agree that Rangers fans are born. Nobody is born anything except male or female. We are nurtured into being Rangers fans and taught what it means to be a Ger. This can be learned by anyone at any stage of their life. I was first inducted into the Rangers Family when i was 6 years old as that was my first match. But David Murray has also been inducted into the Rangers way of life and has learned what Rangers means to it's fans. Don't try and kid yourself that David Murray doesn't know what bneing a Rangers fan is. He has worked alongside us and with Rangers men for ages now.

Rangers are my religion, as i worship them and nothing else. But that doesn't mean anyone who holds Rangers in less a regard as i do is any less of a supporter. You don't have to be a Protestant and a Unionist to support Rangers you simply have to love watching your football team win and that is that.

Once again, i fail to see the relevance of your post and i am afraid i may never see the relevance of any of your posts. As hard as it may seem there is more to life than Rangers, you should start looking for it.

Aye but he would like to get out just as fast as his entry.

The facts are he is not a born and bred Rangers man...never was never will be and never can be (beer)

The facts are he is not a born and bred Rangers man...never was never will be and never can be

And what is a "born and bred Rangers man" FISH? How do you define it?

Is it someone who supports Rangers from an early age? Or is it knowing when just seconds old that you are a Rangers man as you have been born that way? Most humans at that age cannot even open their eyes never mind know what team to support so you simply cannot be born a Rangers fan. No logic in that whatsoever.

Can you expand your comments for me FISH?

Good post (tu)

Love football and love the club, in your own way, for your own reasons. If you do that, you are a true Rangers supporter, and there is no need for any other agenda or issues to be forced upon anyone.

The facts are he is not a born and bred Rangers man...never was never will be and never can be

And what is a "born and bred Rangers man" FISH? How do you define it?

Is it someone who supports Rangers from an early age? Or is it knowing when just seconds old that you are a Rangers man as you have been born that way? Most humans at that age cannot even open their eyes never mind know what team to support so you simply cannot be born a Rangers fan. No logic in that whatsoever.

Can you expand your comments for me FISH?

You are takin the piss or you know nothing about RFC through the years.

Its past from father to son etc thats what born and bred is to a Rangers man.

But I have a funny feeling you will not understand that simple common sense explanation.

Dont ask me to elaborate on it coz thats all yer gettin (beer)

Throughout the history of humanity, we have always tried to assert ourselves as superior to each other. It's where the formation of "tribes" comes from. In extreme cases this leads to war. In societal ways, this leads to racism, bigotry, arrogance, mockery and physical and spiritual violence.

"We are better than you" is the way that insecure men have long tried to prove their worth. Successful and powerful men try to prove it in the realm of politics, business and war. Others latch onto success, attributing that success to themselves.

And so, throughout the modern world, men attach themselves to institutions of competition and success, like sports teams. That way, when the sporting institution gains success, men can claim it as their own, while simultaneously scratching the itch to say they are better than everyone else.

In extreme cases, people begin to justify their superior feelings by attributing a certan philosophy to the club. So, the idea that "we hate Catholics" can be justified by claiming that's what Rangers stands for, and I'm a "Rangers Man", and anyone who disagrees is not a TRUE "Rangers Man", and so isn't as good as me.

This justification then begins to class itself as some kind of destiny, claiming that the superior people are "born" into it, and other people cannot become like these superior people, even if they wanted to. Does this sound frightening to you? I hope it does.

I absolutely denounce any attempt to use Rangers to justify your hatred for other people, or your own insecurities. If you are goign to be a bigot, at least be a man and admit that it is because of your own twisted soul instead of "Rangers made me think it".

But I have a funny feeling you will not understand that simple common sense explanation.

Dont ask me to elaborate on it coz thats all yer gettin 

OK FISH, i am not taking the piss so therefore i know nothing about RFC. Better give up my season ticket then, and my Travel Club membership, those shares i have better go to and of course all of my memorabilia too. Because afterall, if FISH says i know nothing of RFC then it must be true.

So if having Rangers passed onto you by your father is what being a "born and bred Rangers man" is then what about all of the Gers fans who don't have a Gers fan for a father? Are they not really fans, no? Or maybe people who never supported Rangers in the past but suddenly took the club to their heart after watching them or going to a game. Are they not real Rangers fans either.

Just your usual pish, FISH. I really worry about your role in society. I really do.

Dont ask me to elaborate on it coz thats all yer gettin?

OK FISH, i am not taking the piss so therefore i know nothing about RFC. Better give up my season ticket then, and my Travel Club membership, those shares i have better go to and of course all of my memorabilia too. Because afterall, if FISH says i know nothing of RFC then it must be true.

So if having Rangers passed onto you by your father is what being a "born and bred Rangers man" is then what about all of the Gers fans who don't have a Gers fan for a father? Are they not really fans, no? Or maybe people who never supported Rangers in the past but suddenly took the club to their heart after watching them or going to a game. Are they not real Rangers fans either.

Just your usual pish, FISH. I really worry about your role in society. I really do.

Dont you worry aboot it I can handle that masel nae bother standin oan ma heed.

And thank you for saying I was right at least you can swallow yer pride and admit it...its a pleasure (beer)

Agree - he is not a born and bred Rangers man - but then again, nobody is born and bred Rangers - what a silly comment

Does anyone peep their noggin out of their mother and cry, "Hullo? Hullo?

Not nowadays, UEFA have asked all hospitals to clamp down on it. :lol:

Agree - he is not a born and bred Rangers man - but then again, nobody is born and bred Rangers - what a silly comment

Does anyone peep their noggin out of their mother and cry, "Hullo? Hullo?

Well Said! :lol::lol:

You cannot separate Protestantism from Christianity. That is why much of Rangers' brand of "Protestantism" revolves around hatred and spiritual violence - it has been separated from Christianity.

Spot on!

If you want religion, go to church. And I'm sure D'Artagnan would make an excellent preacher. Head in the clouds. :lol::lol:

A true bear is born a bear and brought up a bear and goes to the bears as much as is possible.

Someone who happens to go along when they are 12 or whatever is not in my eyes a true bear because they have not had it drilled into them from day 1.

I'm sorry if some of you can't deal with this but it's how I feel. I'm proud of my upbringing and if you've had it youll know what i'm on about.

Thought the 1st post in this topic was bang on.

My dads a Celtic fan, your way off mate

The "strange" feeling you guys have about Rangers, its called football

Fans all over the world experience the same thing

If you think there is something spiritual and mystical :wacko:

Some guys here make supporting a football team sound like a cult