Youth system

dumfriestrueblue

Just wondering if anyone else worries that we seem to struggle to blood the youth considering we have one of the best facilities in europe? I am happy walter is back but I feel that he won't bring many through like his previous time in charge. You see other clubs around the country producing good youngsters and playing them week in week out.

I think we have to wait til next year to really be able to answer that question, the race for 2nd place needs to be won first and after that is secured i can see walt & ally blooding some youngsters.

Our youth teams seem to be coming along nicely, the U-19's and youth team in particular, and im sure we will reap the benefits over the coming seasons

Some players have come through in recent years. Chris Burke, Stephen Smith, Cherlie Adam, Alan McGregor and Alan Hutton are all in the first team at the moment. I know they're not that brilliant but it is proof that we are bringing young players through, and more will come soon.

Some players have come through in recent years. Chris Burke, Stephen Smith, Cherlie Adam, Alan McGregor and Alan Hutton are all in the first team at the moment. I know they're not that brilliant but it is proof that we are bringing young players through, and more will come soon.

Alan lowing is pushing for a place at RB as well (tu)

McGregor

Hutton

Smith

Burke

Ferguson

Adam

OK, not all of them are great players but they have all came from our youth system over the last 10 years and contributed to a reasonable degree.

There has also been several others that we've made a bit of money from as well.

I agree that Murray Park may not have been as successful as we'd like but we have to remember it's not a Youth Academy per se but just a top-class training facility.

I think the worry is that Walter was reluctant to bring through youngsters in his previous spell in charge. I know he played McSwegan and Pressley when forced to by injuries or the foreigner rule in europe but the only ones I can remember getting a regular game were Neil Murray, Charlie Miller and Rino. Any more come to mind?

I think the pressure the last time to secure NIAR and TIAR made him reluctant to blood youngsters.

If we did that and didnt win the title then fingers get pointed at the poor youngsters straight away and the manager for playing them.

Also it would have put a lot more pressure on the youngsters, in hindsight perhaps it would have helped but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I think things will be different this time around, we will see.

6 regular first team players coming through the youth system is pretty impressive! Not many teams can say that!!!

Rangers really dont get the credit they deserve from the media for blooding so many youngsters; it's all Hibs, Hibs and Hibs! There cant be many more that 6 1st team regulars in the Hobs side that have come through the ranks?

You don't just open up a new training facility then *POW* suddenly the youth layers are quality & worth a first team outing.

You have to look at the youngsters who have been at Murray park for 5-6 years and are now breaking into squads, the u-16 Scotland squad is made up, largely, of Rangers youth players.

I think it is this stage of payers who will, in the coming seasons, break into the squad & show that rearing your own squad, whose loyalty lies with the club will reap the benefits.

Yeah I agree with Ace. You can't just reap the benefits of the facilities right away. Ajax, who have one of the best youth acadiemies in world football, waited something like 10 years before they really felt the benefits.

In a few years time we will be see the benefits as we have some good players coming through at younger levels.

I would like to see is us adopt a policy similar to Arsenals. there was a special about it on Sky Sports News yesterday

The chief scout is entirely in charge of who they sign. Each player is watched at least 10 times before they are considered. Each of Arsenals 7 scouts has to watch him at least once. And perhaps the most important factor is that they must be ready for first team football right away.

Also do every team from the U 14's and up use the same sydtem and tactics as the first team? If not then that could be introduced too.

I can see where this idea has cropped up from. Walter was never too keen on relying on the youngsters in his NIAR days.

However, I think this time round will be different, especially after working with the Scotland squad. If you look at the potential and talent he has introduced there, IMO I think he will look to use more youngsters, coming through the ranks.

A few of our good reserves players have left recently (td)

Celtic reserves have won the league for the last few years (td) this is what one of the reserve players said (Now first team) recently when asked how the reserves are so shite, "its because its usually all the shit first team that play and they dont bother"

Maybe we should stop playing all the duds in the reserves (td)

if these five with the exception of smith and mcgregor are the sum total of a multi million pound youth system then god help us

I think the biggest problem is that at the bigger clubs youth dont have the chance to develop at the first team level. If you look at the big clubs in each league. They are the same way too. What happens is that there are so many young players that when the times comes for them to impress, well they just dont have enough time. Thats why you notice so many ex Gers youth players playing in the SPL for other clubs. They either never get the chance to fulfill their potential of they just head out to another club where they can get more first team expsoure. You can even notice the same in The EPL, players like David Bentley, Jermaine Pennant and Look at Samuel Eto, he was at R Madrid and they sent him out on loan long before he was bought by Barcelona. I know we are not producing quite the same quality at Murray Park, but you get my point. We are slowly starting to see the benefits of Murray park, and I think in the next few years there are a good crop of kids coming through.

if these five with the exception of smith and mcgregor are the sum total of a multi million pound youth system then god help us

Murray Park will only begin to pay dividends to our 1st team in the next 2-3 years and even then it will not be running at its full potential.

Do you hhonestly think it was just a case of putting up the buildings, etc and the players would just magically appear? We created MP to bring players through at early teens and develop them into players for the future. We are now starting to hear about some of these players as they are progressing and being capped at international level.

We have created an institiution where we should be able to produce quality players for generations to come. it really annoys me that many fans can''t look even 1 season ahead, let alone 5 or 6. We are in a great position for developing talent, it's head and shoulders above anyone else in the SPL including Celtic and right up there with the cream of Europe. However it does need that one thing that so many Rnagers fans seem to be able to give to anything - time.

I think the worry is that Walter was reluctant to bring through youngsters in his previous spell in charge. I know he played McSwegan and Pressley when forced to by injuries or the foreigner rule in europe but the only ones I can remember getting a regular game were Neil Murray, Charlie Miller and Rino. Any more come to mind?

David Hagen?

Yes, we have one of the best youth facilities in Europe.

Yes, we have the foundations in place to produce quality youngsters for years to come.

BUT, we need a top class scouting network to find the hidden stars throughout Europe, maybe even the world. No point having the facilities without the talent. Granted there are a few hot prospects coming through.

Like having a Ferrari with no petrol ;)

I think the pressure the last time to secure NIAR and TIAR made him reluctant to blood youngsters.

If we did that and didnt win the title then fingers get pointed at the poor youngsters straight away and the manager for playing them.

Also it would have put a lot more pressure on the youngsters, in hindsight perhaps it would have helped but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I think things will be different this time around, we will see.

Completely agree

(tu)

The day we know that we have a youth programme is the day during a transfer window when one of our home grown players is courted by an English club for a big fee.

We have not produced quality, we ARE not producing quality, we NEVER WILL produce quality.

six,six,six remains the one exception to the rule. He was the best we produced and there will not be another like that for a long time

It is symptomatic of our desperation that we still consider Adam, Burke, etc as young boys breaking through.

The day we know that we have a youth programme is the day during a transfer window when one of our home grown players is courted by an English club for a big fee.

We have not produced quality, we ARE not producing quality, we NEVER WILL produce quality.

six,six,six remains the one exception to the rule. He was the best we produced and there will not be another like that for a long time

It is symptomatic of our desperation that we still consider Adam, Burke, etc as young boys breaking through.

Absolutely spot on mate good to see somebody else sees what is really happening.