why do clubs treat fans

Guest Andypendek

Guest orangpendek

this has bugged me for years. i can't think of one aspect of being a football fan that clubs actively promote positively, or in a manner you might expect from such big institutions. here's a few examples:

communications to/from the stadium - 7 quid to park for 2 hours? you can get all day in the st enoch centre for that! even at xmas! as for the tube, standing in the rain for 20 minutes isn't my idea of fun. no, it's not the clubs property, but how much would a covered walkway cost? ?10,000? and think of the positive publicity.

ticket purchases - ignorant and uninterested staff. sadly the norm in scotland, it still bugs me that we don't hire fans of the team who might display a little enthusiasm. almost as bad as the council.

seating - does anyone ever wash the seats? every pre-season, if you are mug enough to go to the friendlies, check the colour of your seat. last two years, mine has been filthy. it's simply bad manners to expect people to sit in dirt and pay for the priviledge. we're not celtic fans, you know.

catering - overpriced, undercooked, or else overpriced and overcooked. at least no one can say we don't have a choice. i reckon if you went on record breakers and asked where you can get the drink with the least concentrate to soda ratio, the ghost of norris mcwhirter would say ' a football stadium.' almost as bad as the pictures.

admission costs - bears no relationship whatsoever to the quality on offer. also excludes those on a lower salary.

club merchandise - generally shoddy, and priced at a premium. no-one makes us buy these things i admit. but what a chance to drive the fanbase forward missed! every person who makes a purchase, or even enters a rangers store (plainly this is a bit late now) should be given a 'goody bag,' with photos of players, pens etc. cheap merchandise that would cost the club next to nothing but excite the younger fans and encourage them to think they are wanted. the last time i was in a rangers shop before they went west i got the usual two lads having a chat behind the counter, oblivious to the presence of any customers (there weren't many, and i'm not surprsied).

surrender of civic values - try asking any policeman for anything at a game. chances are you'll be told in no uncertain fashion to get lost. why? cause you've got a scarf on? i understand there are implications in having 50,000 or so in one area, but if you can't deal with them and still do your job, you shouldn't be a copper.

failure to embrace technology - i defy anyone to sign up for the offical rangers site and think it's actually worth it.

i don't see why we should put up with these things. i simply cannot understand how clubs that offer huge salaries to what are supposed to be the cream of the business world can operate under a philosophy which treats the paying customer as an irritant at best, and a milch-cow at worst. i don't wish to single out the rangers in this, for i assume most clubs to be the same. but there's loads of areas

where rangers could be out in front, setting best practice for the whole industry. come on, mr bain. get off that sunbed and earn your corn!

Oh how times have changed. You should have seen what we had to put up with when I was a boy. Everything is relative.We accepted things without question in my day, just as long as we were watching our team nothing else seemed to matter.I'm not meaning what you are saying is wrong,indeed you are probably correct but its not something that would have entered our heads years ago. (tu)

You are spot on with every thing you have said.

This could be an opportunity for the anti Murray crew( of which I am one)to reep scorn on SDM, I wont as this is a football issue and not just us.

Fans are treated with contempt by those running football at all levels IMO, and as you say Rangers are no better than the rest.

However some EPL sides are far worse, only Blackburn willing to reduce ticket prices when they get the extra money next year- all other 19 said no that money will NOT go to fans.

Well done Blackburn I say

well, i guess if most people feel the same way as minstral, that would explain the attitude of the clubs.

you have got it wrong i dont agree with the price of a ticket i think its disgusting for the value that we get.i was on about years ago when you had to make sacrifices to go and watch rangers, when there was a lot less money going about,and fans had to walk to games and were happy to do so as long as they could see ther team, that all i was on about.

You are spot on with every thing you have said.

This could be an opportunity for the anti Murray crew( of which I am one)to reep scorn on SDM, I wont as this is a football issue and not just us.

Fans are treated with contempt by those running football at all levels IMO, and as you say Rangers are no better than the rest.

However some EPL sides are far worse, only Blackburn willing to reduce ticket prices when they get the extra money next year- all other 19 said no that money will NOT go to fans.

Well done Blackburn I say

I will sit out of this discussion till later...in the mean time I am an excellent listener.

Carry on boys Im all ears (beer)

From the sounds of it the level of fan satisfaction is much higher in North American sports. That goes back to the fundamental statement I have made so many times. If fans in North America dislike the product on display or the atmosphere they just don't go to the matches. Rangers will have a full park no matter how aweful things get...therefore, there is no high level of service needed if you will go anyway.

I know we have heard this before, but we could take a leaf out of the yanks baook - go to a baseball game here, there are usually free giveaways for first 5 or 10 thousand kids or fans, usually something like a cap, player stickers etc - at a recent hockey game in Chicago I got a free Blackhawks blanket, season annual and a hat!!! Just for turning up.

Then inside there are usually interactive stuff for the kids, in Detroit there are batting cages and a pitching mound where they measure how fast you can throw, all free btw.

They also have sections set up as little museums of past teams.

And even with all of that, baseball tickets are appreciably lower in price, you can get tickets in the family sections in Detroit for as little as 4 pounds, and you get a free slice of pizza and a beverage also.

They put us to shame really. We could do so much more

When I still lived in Scotland, I used to go over to Murrayfield to watch the Scottish Claymores play all the time. NFL Europe - it was fantastic, you paid 10 quid for a ticket for a game lasting 3 hours, with that you got access to a 3 hour pre-match party in the backfields with live bands, entertainment, food, beer, interactive games for the kids, cheerleaders, beer, Shuggy (best mascot in sports lol)

At the end of that, even of your lost you still went away home knowing you had a great time

We could do so much more really - if we did it right we could put stuff on for the kids and encourage families back to the park.