back to scottish

kirkiebear

makes me proud to see so many scotsman in the first team, usually 8 out of 11, dusnt it make u proud. we were always criticised for the amount of foreigners we had, yet we get no ounce of recognition for the young scots coming through.

I agree. And... good for the national team as well -- let's not forget that.

But back to the Gers... I' m so very proud of our 'Scottish content' with a great manager, great Scots assistants.

Just make me feel good. And it's only getting better.

makes me proud to see so many scotsman in the first team, usually 8 out of 11, dusnt it make u proud. we were always criticised for the amount of foreigners we had, yet we get no ounce of recognition for the young scots coming through.

(tu) Not trying to "give all foreigners the boot" by any stretch, but I always felt Gers should first and foremost reflect our heritage and be primarily a Scottish team. And cooper1989 is right as well - it is better for the national side in the long run for both Celtic and Rangers to rely more on domestic talent. Same can be said of any League team in any country across the globe - yes, there should without a doubt be quality foreign players in the squad, but the main core should reflect the country that the team plays in (IMHO). (tu)

Success for Rangers is my priority nothing else and whether it is with a squad of foreigners or scots it would not matter, quality should be the benchmark and whether people like it or not Scotland is not a power in football and no longer produces the quality of the past.

Success for Rangers is my priority nothing else and whether it is with a squad of foreigners or scots it would not matter, quality should be the benchmark and whether people like it or not Scotland is not a power in football and no longer produces the quality of the past.

Have to agree to disagree, doc - nae hard feelings. I just think that the OF do no favours to the youth of our country or the national team if they don't look first to field Scottiish players. I'm just glad to see the pendulum swinging back, that's all.

Have to agree to disagree, doc - nae hard feelings. I just think that the OF do no favours to the youth of our country or the national team if they don't look first to field Scottiish players. I'm just glad to see the pendulum swinging back, that's all.

I have absolutely no problem with that but quality must be the deciding factor.

Looking around Europe the top teams in almost every country tend to have only around 4 or 5 true nationals in the first team, well apart from Arsenal who have 2 or 3 in their whole squad.

Agreed, but players must be in the team on MERIT with nationality not an issue.

(tu)

Spot on.

I honestly don't care what nationality the players playing for our club are, as long as they are good enough. Of course, one has a natural preference to desire native Scots to play for us, but that's not a pre-requisite. Not at all (tu)

Well, look at it this way - you reckon the OF not fielding loads of Scots is hurting the national game, but I can't really agree.

Think about it, if a Scot is good enough, he WILL make it - be it in Scotland or elsewhere. Why is it bad for the national team to have players like McFadden, Quashie and Fletcher plying their trades at a higher level than the SPL?

I would say it's actually beneficial. And as long as the Scottish game still has good players in its leagues (JVH, Boruc, Prso, Hemdani), I reckon their nationality is becoming less important.

Put it this way; imagine every player in the SPL was Scottish. Do you think the national team would develop in the way it currently is? Ferguson is a wonderful exception, but even HE spent time learning his trade in England.

tbh, I have no idea what I just said, my brain's mashed. Hopefully there's a succinct point in there somewhere.

Well, look at it this way - you reckon the OF not fielding loads of Scots is hurting the national game, but I can't really agree.

Think about it, if a Scot is good enough, he WILL make it - be it in Scotland or elsewhere. Why is it bad for the national team to have players like McFadden, Quashie and Fletcher plying their trades at a higher level than the SPL?

I would say it's actually beneficial. And as long as the Scottish game still has good players in its leagues (JVH, Boruc, Prso, Hemdani), I reckon their nationality is becoming less important.

Put it this way; imagine every player in the SPL was Scottish. Do you think the national team would develop in the way it currently is? Ferguson is a wonderful exception, but even HE spent time learning his trade in England.

tbh, I have no idea what I just said, my brain's mashed. Hopefully there's a succinct point in there somewhere.

I understood most of it, it is true that, SOME of our players who can, should play at a higher level, i.e the EPL. But we still need to be producing home grown talent at Murray Park etc because the english clubs and whoever else wants the players dont produce them, they simply want to buy what we have produced. If we do not keep producing home-grown talent then there will be no decent scottish players for clubs at a higher level to buy!

I understood most of it, it is true that, SOME of our players who can, should play at a higher level, i.e the EPL. But we still need to be producing home grown talent at Murray Park etc because the english clubs and whoever else wants the players dont produce them, they simply want to buy what we have produced. If we do not keep producing home-grown talent then there will be no decent scottish players for clubs at a higher level to buy!

Thing is, I don't think there's any real problem with youth development with either side of the OF. Not at all.

For us you have: Burke, Adam, McGregor, Ferguson, Smith, Hutton, Lowing. We're not talking about all of them being world class (bar Ferguson) but by and large it's a good return.

And for them you have: Beattie, Maloney, McGeady (despite his stupid decision), McManus etc.

Personally I believe the OF are doing not too badly at all with regards homegrown talent.

And I am not including the Scots both have signed like Boyd, Murray, Miller and Caldwell etc.

Thing is, I don't think there's any real problem with youth development with either side of the OF. Not at all.

For us you have: Burke, Adam, McGregor, Ferguson, Smith, Hutton, Lowing. We're not talking about all of them being world class (bar Ferguson) but by and large it's a good return.

And for them you have: Beattie, Maloney, McGeady (despite his stupid decision), McManus etc.

Personally I believe the OF are doing not too badly at all with regards homegrown talent.

And I am not including the Scots both have signed like Boyd, Murray, Miller and Caldwell etc.

I wasnt saying that we arent turning out enough decent scottish players, far from it, i think the OF has improved its home grown talent hugely and hope it continues. I was only saying that having our players play abroad isnt enough for the scottish national team, the OF need to keep churning out these players because foreign teams dont produce scottish players.