Merit, not nationality

Danny

With all the fervent activity today, whereby we were linked with Craig Gordon, Lee McCulloch, Scott Brown, Alan Gow, Kevin Thomson and Paul Hartley, the one common bond these players share is obvious.

I am ALL for having a totally Scottish team over the coming months, as long as it is fit for Rangers, and is capable of winning the league and challenging in Europe.

But to me nationality is not important, only ability is.

And I have some concerns about the direction we're going in. I don't want us to only be looking at homegrown talent - because that is what it looks like at the moment. The only foreign player to be linked to us was Culina, but no bid was ever made. And it must be said I don't know of too many fans who would complain about us signing an Australian international who plies his trade with PSV.

I am not saying it is wrong for us to focus on domestic players, all I am saying is we should have a completely open mind with regards the players we bring in.

A fair few players have claimed about the management wanting a purely Scottish side. Well, looking at their side of the argument, just because we DO have some foreigners in our ranks like Prso, Svensson and Hemdani, doesn't mean that's the direction we're going in.

I accused these players of calling us xenophobic. Maybe we're not that, but you do just slightly wonder what Walter's vision for Rangers is.

I know I do.

That all said, by no means am I dismissing the ability of Hartley or Gow - I rate both highly. But the desire to bring in McCulloch has raised some eyebrows, and I'm not alone in hoping Thompson proves me wrong with regards his ability.

Thoughts?

I accused these players of calling us xenophobic. Maybe we're not that, but you do just slightly wonder what Walter's vision for Rangers is.

Walter is setting the stall out by signing players he is familiar with to get us second place and CL money. Ofcourse he is going to go for the safer bet at this stage.

Obviously due to the standards of signings made by le guen proved thet the scouting network we had was inadequate, so we have to sgn players from smiths knowledge that he believes would benifit the team at this moment in time.

remember he was the man who signed laudrup and albertz so give it time mate. It isn ot a concern at the moment! (tu)

Sheebo - ?1.8

Papac - ?400,000(?)

Svensson - ?200,000

Sionko

Ndhyie

Stranger

Smith has spent ?2,000,000 so far on Webster,Ugo,Weir,and Thompson

Nationalitys aren;t important here, its calibare, just a coincidence that all the good players are Scottish/british :)

Walter is setting the stall out by signing players he is familiar with to get us second place and CL money. Ofcourse he is going to go for the safer bet at this stage.

Obviously due to the standards of signings made by le guen proved thet the scouting network we had was inadequate, so we have to sgn players from smiths knowledge that he believes would benifit the team at this moment in time.

remember he was the man who signed laudrup and albertz so give it time mate. It isn ot a concern at the moment! (tu)

Fair reply man, fair reply (tu)

Walter is setting the stall out by signing players he is familiar with to get us second place and CL money

(tu) Players who he knows will improve the team almost immediately and wont need much time to settle.

I am happy with that if he thinks it is the best for Rangers. The real, future work will be done in the summer.

I dont care what nationality they are, just aslong as they have the right attitude, quality, desire, passion and most of all, the quality.

WS has already stated in the press that he has told the players himself that nationality does not matter and that he recognizes that in this day and age it is normal to have some foreign players.

That said we have seen the poor quality of some - not all - foreign players signed these past few years and by PLG. WS has been scouting players for the national team. Scottish players - so it is` natural for him to get the best of these players into RFC. Its a safer bet to in that they dont need to settle into a new country either.

All in all I dont think you need to be concerned as WS , Ally and Kenny will get in players who first and foremost can do a decent job at Ibrox - ON MERIT.

(tu)