Ronald de Boer

Danny

We use the word legend a lot these days. We use it to refer to some of great Rangers of the past. Many believe that Prso and Ferguson are current legends, and will go onto become all-time Rangers greats.

So, it's a word which truly hammers home just how much a player contributed to us, and just how good he was.

And yet, de Boer is bracketed up there too. Perhaps I have overstated the superlatives, and maybe no one ever referred to him as a true legend for us, but it nevertheless amazes me that he gets included in a list of the players which signify 'how good we used to be'.

Ronald de Boer was one of the most inconsistent players we have ever had. He was signed at the age of 28, and had a seriously damaged knee - indeed, apparently a doctor said it was the knee of an old man. His performances for us regularly brought criticism from both the fans, and the press, who believed a Dutch legend like him was way past his best, capable of more, and unbelievably inconsistent for us.

Yes, on occasion he did play well, I am not doubting that, but to say he was a great player overall for us just seems to be simply wrong imo, and clouded by the cushion of time and nostalgia.

Am I on my own on this one?

Nah, you're right de Boer isn't a legend.

On his game a damn fine player and he did have one great season for Eck's first title. However, like you say, he was injury prone, lazy, inconsistent and was paid a fortune during his time here generally.

I wouldn't say he was a success or a failure. Somewhere in the middle and definitely not a legend.

On his day he was brilliant. He had a Bergkamp-esque quality about the way he controlled the ball.

But due to injury he didn't fully deliver for Rangers and can't be considered amongst other recent Rangers greats. He did score some very important goals for us in his time though like a belter against Celtic. My favourite memory of him is his goal at Tynecastle that pretty much secured the league for us a few years ago. I was hiding in the Hearts section (couldn't get away-end tickets) and had to sit on my hands when he scored. So exciting, especially as I'd had to keep quiet when Arveladze missed a penalty at 0-0!

On another note, I think that "current legends" is a contradiction in terms. I think legend implies a player from the past who is talked about through generations. Maybe Prso and Ferguson can go on to become Rangers legends one day but not til they're gone.

Great player, only showed us his class in spells and was too inconsistant. Knee was f*cked and it didnt help when he booted the boarding at Tannadice after missing a good chance which damaged it even more. Not a Rangers legend but a Dutch legend.

Wouldnt say he was a Rangers legend......he was a legend before he came to us and Ibrox was his last stop more or less before the knackers yard.

Same as Gazza really...a legend before he came to us we didnt make him that

We use the word legend a lot these days. We use it to refer to some of great Rangers of the past. Many believe that Prso and Ferguson are current legends, and will go onto become all-time Rangers greats.

So, it's a word which truly hammers home just how much a player contributed to us, and just how good he was.

And yet, de Boer is bracketed up there too. Perhaps I have overstated the superlatives, and maybe no one ever referred to him as a true legend for us, but it nevertheless amazes me that he gets included in a list of the players which signify 'how good we used to be'.

Ronald de Boer was one of the most inconsistent players we have ever had. He was signed at the age of 28, and had a seriously damaged knee - indeed, apparently a doctor said it was the knee of an old man. His performances for us regularly brought criticism from both the fans, and the press, who believed a Dutch legend like him was way past his best, capable of more, and unbelievably inconsistent for us.

Yes, on occasion he did play well, I am not doubting that, but to say he was a great player overall for us just seems to be simply wrong imo, and clouded by the cushion of time and nostalgia.

Am I on my own on this one?

Ronald was finished even when he went to Barca.

We got some decent performances out of him but he infuriated me at times too, after every bad touch from himself he used to look at the turf or up in the air as if it could'nt possibly be his fault.

Kicking the advertising hoarding at Tannadice was'nt the brightest, but the header at the Piggery right after they scored and were still celebrating was a highlight.

Ajax got the best out of him, mostly he was a drain on the wage bill at Ibrox.

When Jimmy Calderwood(Still managing in Holland) heard we were signing DeBoer he said 'Brilliant Frank DeBoer is just what Rangers need'

When told it was'nt Frank but Ronald he said 'You're joking, he's finished his knee is gone'

Wouldnt say he was a Rangers legend......he was a legend before he came to us and Ibrox was his last stop more or less before the knackers yard.

Same as Gazza really...a legend before he came to us we didnt make him that

I agree with you completely Fish, even Gazza wasnt the player he was when we got him.De Boer was ok against SPL fodder but mince in Europe & against Celtic.Flop

Guest orangpendek

maybe not a legend, but it's unfair to complain about his wages, and here's why. we were playing a turkish mob in the cl, maybe galatasary, needing a draw to go thru. last few minutes, de boer gets ball in front of the east enclosure, looks up and puts the ball right onto neil mccann's head, in front of goals about 3 yards out. he heads in into the ground and the goalie's arms. that 1 cross should have repaid his fee several times over, and it was neilly's fault not ronald's.

I'd say Ronald De Boer was the most intelligent player i've seen at Ibrox!! (tu)

Was he a legend? Well he was here for 4 seasons, played 116 competitive games and scored 39 competitive goals - not enough for me to give him a handle like 'A Legend' but as i say along with Jim Baxter, Davie Cooper, Brian Laudrup and a few others he was way up there in the cerebral department!!!

His ability to link with others (especially Shota Arveladze) was out of this world - he knew what others where gonna do, and would ensure they knew likewise - definitely a player i'd love to have seen at Ibrox for 10 plus years - THEN the title LEGEND really would have applied!!!! B)

I'd say Ronald De Boer was the most intelligent player i've seen at Ibrox!! (tu)

Was he a legend? Well he was here for 4 seasons, played 116 competitive games and scored 39 competitive goals - not enough for me to give him a handle like 'A Legend' but as i say along with Jim Baxter, Davie Cooper, Brian Laudrup and a few others he was way up there in the cerebral department!!!

His ability to link with others (especially Shota Arveladze) was out of this world - he knew what others where gonna do, and would ensure they knew likewise - definitely a player i'd love to have seen at Ibrox for 10 plus years - THEN the title LEGEND really would have applied!!!! B)

So to cut a long story short....he is not a legend, cheerz for that <cr>