FC United of Manchester

plymouthranger

To say FCUM have been a success is only looking at the partial picture. For a start they have a much larger fan base than their opposition, bigger crowds and more money give them a clear advantage over other non-league teams. They have no ground of their own which will be an issue for them in the future. Realistically if they were to reach the senior league they would encounter real opposition from other Man U fans, some of who currently support their cause but not their team, some of who are indifferent towards them and some of who are openly hostile to them. Also while crowds of 7,000 odd are good in non-league they aren't big enough in league 2 or above to make an impact.

They certainly have ideals and I think in theory I support them, Liverpool fans formed a similar club, AFC Liverpool, in the summer too. However breakaway clubs is the road to madness, we are not anywhere near that point yet.

The comment about Ferguson hating them is spot on.

In reality if about 1,000 Rangers fans organised themselves and each put in £500 they could take over just about any club in Scotland with the exception of about 6 or 7. In reality a 'fans club' could be playing in the SPL next season if the will was really there.

Oh yes they could...they currently share their ground with Bury FC and have continually had more fans through the door than Bury (Av att 2,828), Rochdale (3,048), Accrington (1,684), Morecambe (2,107), Macclesfield (1,872) and Chester (1,962) who are all in league 2 and are located in the North West of England.

Hell FC United of Manxhester would show up some attendances in the SPL.

I wont knock them or AFC Wimbledon (who have recently bought their own ground and are putting plans together to renovate certain stands) but its not for me...as I firmly believe there could never be another Glasgow Rangers FC

Yes but none of the teams you mention have made any impact on English football for a generation or more which was my point. Even if you factor in larger 'visiting supports' boosting attendances they are still a long way from achieving anything that could be called success when compared to Man U.

AFC Wimbledon are different, their team was literally taken from them, moved 100 miles away and renamed. I have nothing but admiration for them and wish them every success. AFC Wimbledon have been backed by their local council after much lobbying and that is why they have managed to locate a ground. Their example is one worth studying for all football clubs, they mobilised and became a political force in the borough until the point it became politically expedient for the local councillors to help them rather than put obstacles in their way which is what had been happening prior.

The current economic climate may well help FCUM locate and purchase a ground mind as property prices plummet.