Edu tipped to thrive in run in

Muff

As Rangers search for solutions to their title predicament, they have been urged to put their faith in the $5million man yet to be granted a proper opportunity to prove his value.

Maurice Edu cost that round sum, about £2.6m in August from FC Toronto, before sterling began its exchange-rate plunge, but the American international has started only two games this term - the last back in October.

Even when Kevin Thomson's cruciate-ligament injury robbed Rangers of a natural holding midfielder in November, Edu did not receive the call to step up and fill his place.

Now, however, it's understood the player is winning his battle to convince the Ibrox management team that he is worthy of more exposure as the club seek to claw back a seven-point deficit against Celtic.

Former U.S. national coach Bruce Arena, now David Beckham's boss at LA Galaxy, is in no doubt that Edu would thrive under the pressure of the 'must-win' situation currently confronting Rangers as they prepare to face Inverness Caley Thistle on Sunday.

Arena has watched the 22-year-old develop from his formative days at the University of Maryland and

'Maurice is a player who can step up to that kind of pressure and do well,' said Arena, who led the U.S.A to the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup.

'It's always a difficult time when you are a scrambling in a title race. Rangers are chasing Celtic and it can feel like an awkward time to introduce young players to the starting line-up.

'But there is no better way to really see the kind of potential a player has. If Walter feels comfortable that he can place Maurice on the field, then, within no more than a couple of games, Maurice will show the qualities that he has. I'm sure he is a player who can help Rangers in their current situation.

'Rangers have paid good money for him and that is another reason why he probably needs to play more. The club has made an investment, so the quicker they can bring him on, the better it is for everyone.

'But Walter is a very experienced manager and my view is that he will make a good decision in this situation. He has seen a lot of young, promising players come and go and I'm sure he will understand when it is the right time to introduce Maurice to the Rangers first team on a permanent basis.

'Right now, Maurice lacks experience, but he has the tools to become a very good player indeed. There is a great deal of promise there.

'It was always going to take him time to adapt to the different demands of professional football in Scotland but he has the right kind of self-confidence and I'm sure he has faith in himself making the breakthrough.'

Edu has established himself as part of the U.S.A national squad under Arena's successor, Bob Bradley, and needs more first-team outings to maintain that position in the push for a place in the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

The fact he has not made an immediate impact at Ibrox comes as no surprise to Arena, who is well versed in the difficulties of American players leaving their homeland to seek their fortunes in Europe.

'I know coach Bradley thinks a lot of Maurice and will be keeping an eye on him,' said Arena.

'In America, though, we have been through this situation with a lot of players - DaMarcus Beasley is one example who has had similar experiences in the past.

'The unfortunate thing for American players is that, because of their lack of exposure to high-level games on a consistent basis in the States, they tend to be a little bit up and down when they move overseas.

'They take a little bit longer to establish themselves but, once they cross that bridge, they tend to have a very strong quality to them and are players who can really help teams.

'With the right period of adjustment, Maurice will be a strong contributor to Rangers.

'America needs more players playing in a better environment. Seeing a player like Edu move to Rangers motivates other young players in America to improve their standard, so that they might get a European opportunity of their own.

'Everyone here is hoping he will establish himself in Scotland and I'm sure he will.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...n.html?ITO=1490

Could be such a good player too. Before he arrived here every Toronto FC fan we got reviews of him from said he was like a rough and ready defensive mid. But from what i've seen (which is every reserve game he's played) he's early Chelsea/West Ham-era Lampard or any other box to box guy who likes to run... a lot. Probably one of the fittest players i've seen ever in our team. Guy could be in the olympics.

It's too bad he plays CM. Ah well...

I think he is saying Edu will come good if given a chance.

That's the key phrase...Mendes and Fergie will continue to start unless one of them gets injured.

Hopefully Ferguson picks up the flu and is bedded for a few weeks - but then I suppose 'hide and seek' would come in and take over in the central role.

As Rangers search for solutions to their title predicament, they have been urged to put their faith in the $5million man yet to be granted a proper opportunity to prove his value.

Maurice Edu cost that round sum, about £2.6m in August from FC Toronto, before sterling began its exchange-rate plunge, but the American international has started only two games this term - the last back in October.

Even when Kevin Thomson's cruciate-ligament injury robbed Rangers of a natural holding midfielder in November, Edu did not receive the call to step up and fill his place.

Now, however, it's understood the player is winning his battle to convince the Ibrox management team that he is worthy of more exposure as the club seek to claw back a seven-point deficit against Celtic.

Former U.S. national coach Bruce Arena, now David Beckham's boss at LA Galaxy, is in no doubt that Edu would thrive under the pressure of the 'must-win' situation currently confronting Rangers as they prepare to face Inverness Caley Thistle on Sunday.

Arena has watched the 22-year-old develop from his formative days at the University of Maryland and

'Maurice is a player who can step up to that kind of pressure and do well,' said Arena, who led the U.S.A to the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup.

'It's always a difficult time when you are a scrambling in a title race. Rangers are chasing Celtic and it can feel like an awkward time to introduce young players to the starting line-up.

'But there is no better way to really see the kind of potential a player has. If Walter feels comfortable that he can place Maurice on the field, then, within no more than a couple of games, Maurice will show the qualities that he has. I'm sure he is a player who can help Rangers in their current situation.

'Rangers have paid good money for him and that is another reason why he probably needs to play more. The club has made an investment, so the quicker they can bring him on, the better it is for everyone.

'But Walter is a very experienced manager and my view is that he will make a good decision in this situation. He has seen a lot of young, promising players come and go and I'm sure he will understand when it is the right time to introduce Maurice to the Rangers first team on a permanent basis.

'Right now, Maurice lacks experience, but he has the tools to become a very good player indeed. There is a great deal of promise there.

'It was always going to take him time to adapt to the different demands of professional football in Scotland but he has the right kind of self-confidence and I'm sure he has faith in himself making the breakthrough.'

Edu has established himself as part of the U.S.A national squad under Arena's successor, Bob Bradley, and needs more first-team outings to maintain that position in the push for a place in the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

The fact he has not made an immediate impact at Ibrox comes as no surprise to Arena, who is well versed in the difficulties of American players leaving their homeland to seek their fortunes in Europe.

'I know coach Bradley thinks a lot of Maurice and will be keeping an eye on him,' said Arena.

'In America, though, we have been through this situation with a lot of players - DaMarcus Beasley is one example who has had similar experiences in the past.

'The unfortunate thing for American players is that, because of their lack of exposure to high-level games on a consistent basis in the States, they tend to be a little bit up and down when they move overseas.

'They take a little bit longer to establish themselves but, once they cross that bridge, they tend to have a very strong quality to them and are players who can really help teams.

'With the right period of adjustment, Maurice will be a strong contributor to Rangers.

'America needs more players playing in a better environment. Seeing a player like Edu move to Rangers motivates other young players in America to improve their standard, so that they might get a European opportunity of their own.

'Everyone here is hoping he will establish himself in Scotland and I'm sure he will.'

Just thought I would highlight those parts, something the player himself has already stated. We keep saying "if he is given the chance" etc, but, everything points to the fact that he isnt ready yet, but, in the long term, he will become a good player for us. We have a few players like that, and, if people get past the whole tims 4 in a row thing, and look long term, I think things are looking good.

Just thought I would highlight those parts, something the player himself has already stated. We keep saying "if he is given the chance" etc, but, everything points to the fact that he isnt ready yet, but, in the long term, he will become a good player for us. We have a few players like that, and, if people get past the whole tims 4 in a row thing, and look long term, I think things are looking good.

He has come to a league which is a faster tempo, more aggressive, more competitive environment and even though the spl is not a terribly high standard of quality it is a lot better than the MLS.

Even if he does have very good ability it will take time to develop this onto the park in games. Technical ability, pace and fitness levels are not enough if a player has not adapted to the way the game is played. I would not want to throw a player into games where he stands and watches the game bypass him if he is at all hesitant.

Although in writing this I am picturing players who have played in this league for years standing on the pitch at Ibrox doing exactly that.

In the case of Edu, however, caution and patience may be the best strategy.